Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Swollen ankles

(20 Posts)
Glenfinnan Tue 22-May-18 12:11:29

If I stand for long periods of time my ankles swell. Going to a wedding in a few weeks time and was wondering if support tights would help, any one experienced the same?

MawBroon Tue 22-May-18 12:12:59

Yes.
Story of my life (and why I now live in trousers)

Welshwife Tue 22-May-18 12:17:03

I have found those almost sheer support tights to be helpful if on my feet for a while.

maryeliza54 Tue 22-May-18 12:17:58

Don’t be afraid to sit down even if everyone else is standing or ask for a chair - people will understand

Panache Tue 22-May-18 17:16:38

Another one with puffy ankles/legs ......even on rising.....and how I hate ^ those ^ stockings,indeed probably why we "oldies" are always seen wearing trousers!

Having enforced periods of leg elevation of late has shown a marked improvement, although I well understand that is of no help in your predicament Glenfinnan.

Support stockings do help......but perhaps those of a sheer variety as Welshwife stated might be the best bet.......plus yes,always take a pew whenever possible.

Fennel Tue 22-May-18 19:29:03

I've started to have that problem lately. And it's so obvious as normally I have very thin feet ankles and legs. Rest helps.
A few people have said - wear compression stockings. But I really can't be bothered. It takes enough time with all the other things specs teeth feet 'transit', medications etc. That's why I won't get a hearing aid either.

NfkDumpling Tue 22-May-18 19:38:42

Like Maw, I live in trousers and wear shoes or sandals which have Velcro straps for adjustment when fat feet syndrome strikes.

Its at it’s worst when on holiday somewhere hot after a longish flight. Swollen feet for the whole holiday.

Jalima1108 Tue 22-May-18 19:59:57

Even if I wear pressure stockings or flight socks mine swell during a long flight.
Some blood pressure medication can cause swollen ankles too.

Sheer support tights could help - and lying down with your feet higher than your head before going to the wedding could help too.
My sis-IL used to call it 'The Ten Minute Hollywood Slant'!

Glenfinnan Tue 22-May-18 20:11:42

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I’ll try the support tights and might also see if I can find some dressy trousers and light jacket. In the autumn I do wear skirts/dresses with ankle boots which hide these problem bits!!!

allsortsofbags Tue 22-May-18 21:50:35

As others have said support tights/stockings really help.

As does the "Hollywood Slant", can sometimes be done in cloakroom if it's big enough.

If you are a a reception you might be able to get some ice from the bar. I take a couple of small plastic bags and a couple of cotton hankies to make a couple of ice packs.

Then nip to the cloakroom and cool down you ankles/feet as a bit of on the go first aid.

Also as someone has suggested ask for a chair, people do understand.

Enjoy

GrandmaMoira Tue 22-May-18 22:16:19

When I had that problem I had compression stockings on prescription but also bought flight socks from Boots which were thinner and looked smarter. They are fine under trousers or a long skirt. Wearing them means it's easier to wear smarter shoes for a wedding.

OldMeg Wed 23-May-18 06:07:03

And put your feet up at night when watching TV.

Welshwife Wed 23-May-18 11:09:50

If my ankles/feet are a bit swollen I lie on the bed with my bottom on the pillow as near the headboard as possible and put my legs straight up against the wall - stay there 10 mins if possible and the relief is great - varicose veins go down too!
Not a practical solution during a function but starting off feeling good is always an advantage!

Nanabilly Wed 23-May-18 14:19:04

Find a few exercises to do with the feet and ankles to keep your circulation going through the day too and do them while sat at any time before and after too . Maybe your gp or a nurse at the surgery could advise you.
My ankles used to swell badly all the time but now I'm on tons of blood pressure and heart medication they don't thankfully. It is so painful.

Glenfinnan Thu 24-May-18 07:36:14

Thank you all again for your kind suggestions. I saw on the M & S site that they also sell firm support knee highs. I’m keeping up legs up too when I sit down! xx

OldMeg Thu 24-May-18 08:40:02

Seriously though try lying with your legs and feet higher than your body. Lie on floor and prop your legs up against the sofa....at as close to 90o as you can manage. Put a pillow under your head if you like and stay there for about 15 minutes if you can.

pollyperkins Thu 24-May-18 14:20:40

I found this on holiday after a long flight and then a bus ride followed by a hot day -swollen lowere legs and anles
When I got back to the hotel I took off my shoes and lay on my bed with my feet raised on two pillows. I actually slept with my feet on a pillow too. The next day my ankles were much better.

annep Tue 05-Jun-18 21:47:25

Yes , raising your feet helps. So does weating flat shoes. I rarely wear heels now and I've noticed my ankles are less swollen.

ririley Fri 17-Jan-20 01:27:41

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NanTheWiser Fri 17-Jan-20 16:11:19

Reported