Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Perm mistake.

(22 Posts)
muffinthemoo Wed 13-Mar-19 12:51:02

It is worth using one of the Lush hair masks/moisturising treatments. Put one on and try and keep it on for a couple of hours in a warm room with your hair covered (plastic shower cap or even cling film)

You might also want to try the 'conditioner only' method of hairwashing for a while.

Charleygirl5 Wed 13-Mar-19 12:11:36

It is close on 30 years since I last had my very straight hair permed and I found I could cope with the frizz using electric rollers. I had to use them most days but it was well worth it.

Catfaux Wed 13-Mar-19 09:19:20

Hey there. I could recommend L'Oreal serum and Daily Keratin hair mask, these two really helped me with frizziness. I think it would suit you, if not you may check this article about alternatives. Hope it helps.

opalyo Tue 05-Jun-18 22:36:02

Haha annep, that or a bag over my head. Thank you Glammanana and Eloethan. Found unite, bit out of my league I'm afraid. Green People also bit on the pricey side for me, but I am definitely trying everything else. So kind everyone, thanks. flowers

annep Tue 05-Jun-18 21:34:55

Eklvive oil shampoo. Keep using loads of conditioner and the perm will grow out quicker. Or do what I did after I had a bad perm thirty years ago - Sprain your ankle and you can stay home for weeks until your hair grows enough to chop it off. I was so grateful for that sprain ?

glammanana Tue 05-Jun-18 11:59:05

opalyo Any brand of shampoo with a high keratin content will work there are many on the market Superdrug would be my first port of call,I first started using it yrs ago when I had a dye put on at a salon which burnt the back of my head and damaged my hair the keratin shampoo improved it no end,I just can't remember the make at the minute so sorry.Best of luck.

Eloethan Mon 04-Jun-18 23:15:05

If you just type in "Unite Hair Conditioner" into the search box several sites come up.

opalyo Mon 04-Jun-18 22:24:13

LynneB59, please let me know if mane and tail works. I have seen it, but felt very dubious about it.
Eloethan, I am having trouble finding Unite conditioner, do they have a web site?

opalyo Mon 04-Jun-18 22:20:21

Thank you Cherrytree59, having damaged hair is so expensive, great to be able to save myself some money. I did try the cheaper options, like coconut oil etc. but they didn't work, hence the post.
Glammanana, do you have a favorite type of keratin shampoo?

Cherrytree59 Mon 04-Jun-18 17:30:44

Maybe if not too expensive.
However a plastic shower cap (or bag) and
then a towel would work just as well.
Our heads generate heat so it is only a matter of keeping the heat in to allow oil or conditioner to work.

opalyo Mon 04-Jun-18 17:02:54

Wow, thanks, what good ideas. I am so glad I asked. A little follow on from Cherrytree 59, I saw a thermal cap thing, advertised on Amazon to put on when treating your hair. Do you think it would help. I would post a link, but unfortunately I haven't got a clue how to. grin

Cherrytree59 Mon 04-Jun-18 16:34:30

Hi opalyo
You can have your hair straightened but not by the same hairdresser!!

Good news is that a perm will relax.
Warm your oil and cover hair and put towel around hair for an hour at least.
Try frizzy free conditioner.

Unfortunately your hair has been damaged by over processing.

Having the ends trimmed regularly will help.
If you can avoid combing or brushing as this will exacerbate the problem
Using a flat affro comb or fingers is the best way.

Dry hair naturally as direct heat will cause more damage.
Large rollers then air dried.
Remove rollers and leave for a few minutes before styling with flat affro comb or fingers.

Years ago the way to have a relaxed perm was to have a Demi Wave
I'm sure there must be something similar now.

If you can only dry hair with a dryer please use something like argon oil spray ( Home-Bargains) to help protect your hair.

Thankfully hair does growflowers

glammanana Mon 04-Jun-18 14:59:58

At the moment Pantene 3 min Miracle Conditioner is on offer at Boots and is so good for dried out hair,my sister used it last week after her return from holiday where she had her hair ruined by not covering in the sun,it looks slightly better after she had the treatment .
opalyo If you can and have the time I would soak my hair in a really good conditioner and wrap in a towel for as long as you can (all day if necessary ) it will soon improve then use a shampoo with keratin in it as it repairs hair folicles.

LynneB59 Mon 04-Jun-18 14:44:02

My hair is naturally curly, and whenever it gets even slightly damp, it goes frizzy and wild. I've tried just about every frizz-taming product there is - none work for my hair. I've tried blow-drying it (ok until there's even any mist outside), straightening it, everything. I've had it cut shorter, to no avail. I've now got some "Mane and Tail" products to try, so I hope they might help me. Good luck.

opalyo Mon 04-Jun-18 13:50:24

Thank you everyone, kind of you to answer. I have tried frizz ease, which helps, but not to the point of it looking [or feeling] like hair. I will certainly try Trevor Sorbe. I have never even heard of the Green People, dashing off now to look them up. Oh and disconnecting my hair dryer.

Willow500 Mon 04-Jun-18 09:08:41

Something like Frizz Ease might help - if you can blow dry it on a round brush you might get it looking smoother.

Teetime Mon 04-Jun-18 09:01:44

I decided after years and years of fighting my curly hair to go with it and dry it naturally with a little bit of styling around the top and fringe. The shorter it is the more spiky it gets which I don't like. I use Frizz Ease Dream Curls shampoo and conditioner and Elvive Extraordinary Oil and now its quite soft and manageable even though I have it regularly coloured (at a salon).

littleflo Mon 04-Jun-18 08:57:51

I find the Trevor Sorbe product the best for aging dry hair. Thoroughly wet your hair and use their serum quite lavishly. Inbetween washes a little of their cream condition on the ends also helps.

Folders66 Mon 04-Jun-18 07:12:37

Yuk! Sorry to hear that your hair is not at its best at the moment. I use Green People products, which are natural and gentle. Their customer services team are friendly and professional and would be happy to help either on the ‘phone or by sending a message via their contacts page. I hope you get your hair tamed soon. ?

BlueBelle Mon 04-Jun-18 06:35:43

What a shame our hair looking ok makes the day feel right doesn’t it ?
I d have a good ‘pixie’ cut and get rid of all the frizz I have a short, a bit spiky style and find it so easy to look after 5 mins max each day and no big worries in the pool or rain

Eloethan Mon 04-Jun-18 00:00:04

Unite conditioner (from hairdressers or on line) is quite good and I also like Aussi Conditioner for Coloured Hair. Do you dry your hair naturally or blow dry it? Blow drying may make it more frizzy. Perhaps if you used rollers that might help. You may need to experiment with different products and methods to see what works best. Has your hair grown enough to have it trimmed - that might help.

I am fed up with my bob hairstyle which I've had for ages. I have been tempted to do something drastic like have it cut short of have a perm. Yours is a cautionary tale.

I hope someone else can give you some good advice.

opalyo Sun 03-Jun-18 23:29:52

I have slightly curly hair, which is very fine. I was going away and wanted a style I could just wash and leave. I ended up going for a perm, it was a mistake. My hair is now in terrible condition and really frizzy unless I coat it with oil. Has anyone found a really good conditioner and hair tamer. I could do with some advice.