Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Rangemaster 60cm Professional Electric Cooker

(14 Posts)
Maggiemaybe Sat 09-Jun-18 09:49:08

I wish I'd kept the instruction booklet that came with the Flavel. It was full of tips for little housewives about how to keep hubby happy with your home-cooked delights. The timer was particularly useful, apparently, as the poor man wouldn't be kept waiting for his meal when he came home from another hard day at the office. It was hilarious to us then, so it'd read now like a message from another planet!

Maggiemaybe Sat 09-Jun-18 09:46:26

Our first cooker was a Flavel Diana, M0nica. It was really solidly built and had an eye level grill with a full rotisserie, great for cooking whole chickens! It was the best cooker I've had, and when I had it removed in favour of a more "modern" one after 18 years or so, the fitter said I would regret it. How right he was! A couple of pretty poor ovens later I now have a Rangemaster Classic 60, which has been fine so far, apart from the fact that the oven goes out if you're too flamboyant when shutting the door. I'd have loved the larger version, but was just pleased that we could squeeze this into the space available.

Welshwife Sat 09-Jun-18 09:40:23

Thanks for that Monica - I had a Flavel back in the day.

M0nica Sat 09-Jun-18 09:26:35

AGA Rangemaster are now one of those mixed up companies owned by someone else entirely who has built up the company by acquiring companies and choosing the best known names for the company name because of the quality(?) associations.

Taking Rangemaster. It started off as Flavel. Do you remember Flavel cookers? The first cooker I bought was a Flavel - and an excellent cooker it was. I had it for over 15 years and only replaced it when we moved house and I had a kitchen makeover.

So it is not that AGA owns Rangemaster, it is just that some other company bought both brands and put them together into one company under the name Aga Rangmaster.

Welshwife Sat 09-Jun-18 09:03:00

Did it have any paperwork suggesting it was made by Aga? My paperwork did come from Aga - the cooker was delivered straight from Aga at Leamington Spa and they gave the guarantee. Maybe the name has been bought.

dallas Sat 09-Jun-18 08:50:59

Just heard from the retailer the Rangemaster they have in the showroom has the same fault, the retailer said it's a design fault. Rangemaster have apparently used the wrong glue? and the wrong sized screws to keep the door handles on. I'm told they will come and collect both doors, leaving us without any working ovens! and re glue and screw using the correct materials. I have said this is not acceptable and I would like them to come and take the cooker away and I will choose another cooker (not Rangemaster) from the retailer, I am waiting to see if Rangemaster agree to this, I don't hold out much hope. What do you other Grans netters think?

kittylester Fri 08-Jun-18 08:36:51

I've had a rangemaster dual fuel for about 12 years and would replace it like a shot!

Nannykay Fri 08-Jun-18 08:23:27

I have a rangemaster deluxe 110 duel fuel it’s about 10 years old now and still going strong, it sounds like a lot of other companies, the manufacturing quality has dropped it’s a shame but they don’t make things like they use to, ( I sound like my nana now )

dallas Fri 08-Jun-18 08:09:09

So sorry to hear you also have problems with your Rangemaster, I had a Rangemaster in my last house which was really good when we moved house I left it behind. I purchased this one for the new house as it is truly awful, I, like you, thought Rangemaster were good quality but they seem to have gone downhill and use cheap parts which don't last.

Welshwife Thu 07-Jun-18 18:03:45

That is a shame - I bought mine in 2006 and it was by far the best of that type of cooker at the time. I used it for 7 years before we moved and it was still in as good as a condition as when new.

M0nica Thu 07-Jun-18 17:19:15

Yes, I bought a Rangemaster Professional cooker 18 months ago, mine is the dual fuel 1 metre one and I too have had problems with it.

The inside panel of one of the ovens pulled away. DH got longer screws and sorted that out. However, unless I shut the door very slowly and carefully it has a tendency to bounce open, not enough to always notice, but enough to affect how the dish in the oven cooks.

Recently I noticed that the shiny chrome stalk on the horizontal oven door handle isn't chrome. It seems to be some kind of rubbish metal with a thin chrome veneer stuck on, which is bubbling and becoming unstuck.

It is a poor quality shoddy cooker. It was bought to replace a cooker I had had for nearly 20 years that was finally developing faults that were expensive to rectify. I thought a new cooker was the answer. I was wrong.

Welshwife Thu 07-Jun-18 15:23:54

Should have said - I had the doors with glass panels - I left the cooker in the house when we sold it - something I have regretted!

Welshwife Thu 07-Jun-18 15:20:51

I had a wonderful one - Classic110 so a bit wider. Two ovens and a grill electric and a gas hob with a ceramic panel to the side which kept things warm. Mine came direct from Aga although I bought it from a retailer in Somerset who was much cheaper than many stores. Bought the extractor hood at the same time.

dallas Thu 07-Jun-18 15:12:44

I have a Rangemaster Professional cooker which is only 18 months old and we have had to call Rangemaster out Three times since new (after having the shop we purchased it from come out after two weeks!) The Main Oven door handle came very loose twice, and now the top oven door handle has for the second time broken, the engineer called again this morning to repair it yet again and found the screws holding it in place have sheared off and the whole thing needs to be replaced. I have been in touch with the shop and they have promised to get to the bottom of this problem. Has any Gransnetter had a problem with Rangemaster cookers?