Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Which (cheap) washing machine?

(52 Posts)
humptydumpty Fri 08-Jun-18 10:22:13

Someone I know with very little money needs to buy a replacement washing machine, and who best to advise than other GNers? It needs to be cheap, easy to use and preferably have a good spin cycle (but not a built-in drier). Can anyone help from personal experience? Many thanks.

NannyInTheKitchen Sat 09-Jun-18 10:16:37

Beko, every time

sarahellenwhitney Sat 09-Jun-18 10:28:14

Pen50
I experienced rubbish sales buys, no names mentioned, before deciding enough was enough. I 'lashed' out and bought a top of the range Samsung. No problems and works like a dream.

JanaNana Sat 09-Jun-18 10:30:18

I have a Zanussi washing machine which I bought from Curry,s about 3 years ago for approx £300. Ordered it on line and was delivered within 24 hours and installed. Old one taken away for around £11 then. I chose this brand as my previous one had been Zanussi and had lasted 17 years before wearing out. I think Argos also do a range of washing machines which you can order online with a quick delivery and take away of old one. Alternatively there are usually independent shops in most towns ...we have one where I live which sells brand new, and reconditioned (offering 6 months guarantee on these).

ddraig123 Sat 09-Jun-18 10:32:51

Avoid Curry's at all cost. There service is appalling. Once you've bought something they don't want to know. Check out their feedback on Trust Pilot!
Excellent 34%
Great 9%
Average 4%
Poor 5%
Bad 48%

Lilyflower Sat 09-Jun-18 10:37:16

I have a built in Beko which allows you to set your own spin speed. I use the 14 minute wash with a 1400 spin speeed and it's brilliant.

I also loved my Whirlpool but they are more expensive.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sat 09-Jun-18 10:38:55

I've had my zanussi machine for 20 yrs. It needed the rubber replaced and had a new element fitted in that time. The repair chap said they were one of the best machines and they still refurbished and sell old ones! Sadly don't think they are as good these days and as someone else said it can be pot luck. I've had 2 machines in 35 years smile my sister has had to change her every few years think she's on her 6 or 7th now!

Hm999 Sat 09-Jun-18 10:44:15

Are the Which magazines available at your local library?

B9exchange Sat 09-Jun-18 11:30:08

I have a 14 year old Hotpoint, which is still going strong, doesn't take ages, has more programmes than I need and gives excellent results. Dread the day it packs up!

mabon1 Sat 09-Jun-18 11:40:54

nothing to do with washing machines but my dishwasher is 38 years old and still going strong!!!!!

winifred01 Sat 09-Jun-18 12:26:02

Belo for me too!

tinaf1 Sat 09-Jun-18 12:43:19

Bought my Beko from AO very pleased with it

Rosina Sat 09-Jun-18 12:44:57

I've always stuck with Bosch - they do machines in a range of prices and one I had worked for twelve years, running at least twice a day for school uniforms, sports wear for my son's football team etc. It needed one repair in that time - a new door catch. It finally collapsed and died, owing me nothing, and I bought another which lasted ten years without developing a fault.

Marg123 Sat 09-Jun-18 14:06:25

Beko for me too.

Bijou Sat 09-Jun-18 14:40:55

My last Indesit lasted 8 years and the one before went on for thirteen. They were purchased from a local independent shop and were cheaper than Curry’s. I recently had a new freezer replacing a twenty two year old one from AO. next day delivery and removal of the old one. There was a charge for delivery within Twenty four hours but would have been free if I waited. Curry’s charge an exorbitant amount for delivery and removal so are more expensive in the end.

Happysexagenarian Sat 09-Jun-18 15:13:57

I have had a Bosch Classixx 1200 washing machine and Bosch Exxcel tumble drier for 16 years now and still going strong. I used Calgon tablets in the washer from day one, I don't know if it really helps, but it has never had any repairs or servicing. Perhaps I'm tempting fate now! Would definitely have Bosch machines again.

Rosina Sat 09-Jun-18 15:20:28

Not trying to sound clever here Happysexagenerian and I hope it's a useful tip, but an engineer told me once that adding a tablespoon of soda crystals to the wash (they help to shift stains and soften the water) is so much cheaper than Calgon. He said that if you tot up the cost of Calgon, yo could buy a new machine every couple of years.

Rosina Sat 09-Jun-18 15:20:48

you!

Auntieflo Sat 09-Jun-18 15:37:28

Coast35, I'm not sure how correct this is, but I thought that John Lewis washing machines were identical to the AEG brand.

instagran Sat 09-Jun-18 16:03:13

Noting the need for economy and value for money, I would go down Sparkly's route. I bought a recon Zanussi years ago for around £60 and it lasted well over ten years. I am now on my secon recon machine, Hotpoint, working brilliantly since 1992 for £65. Just check google, recon washing machines, your town. I feel from experience, you get a good deal as everything has been checked properly and replaced where nrcessary, as I don't think they want to have to come out unnecessarily!

123kitty Sat 09-Jun-18 16:13:19

Another vote for Beko. Short wash programme. Great spin speed. And importantly- reasonable price.

pollyperkins Sat 09-Jun-18 16:21:05

We have a John Lewis machine, bought on recommendation from a friend. It's been great.

harrysgran Sat 09-Jun-18 18:07:09

Tesco direct have a becko reduced to £189 from £249 details are on hot deals uk site

GreenGran78 Sat 09-Jun-18 20:32:48

Katekeeprunning. Which magazine often have a trial month offer for only £1. Just make sure to cancel before the month is up.

Daisyboots Sat 09-Jun-18 21:14:22

Last year my daughter needed a new washing machine as she had been buying secondhand ones which turned out to be rubbish. We bought her a Logic brand one from Currys. It had a very good spec with variable spin speeds etc. It cost £220 and it was delivered the next day. It's excellent amd she had done about 5 loads in the first day. (She has 5 children) For those that don't know Logic is a brand but the machines TVs etc are made by different well known name companies when they are having a slow time on their production lines. You wouldn't know who has manufactured it until the back is opened and the name of the manufacturer is on there. Sorry to be so long winded. 16 months later her machine is still working well despite being used at least twice a day.

ajanela Sat 09-Jun-18 21:14:23

My daughter recently needed a new oven. We went to Curry's and they were selling some of the display models for half price. Worth a look.

Online AO have good prices.