Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Bicarbonate of soda

(20 Posts)
Rach3l Mon 18-Jun-18 11:30:17

youtu.be/NVkxS_932y8

Signs your body is too acid apparently!

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Jun-18 18:17:13

It's a lot cheaper than using a whole bottle of white wine, which I did when red wine went all over the carpet and suite!

The white wine followed by a shampoo did work though.

Maggiemaybe Sat 16-Jun-18 18:13:32

Well I’d never realised removing a wine stain could be potentially fraught with danger. shock I’d never heard of the bicarbonate/vinegar bomb. Which just shows I didn’t pay enough attention in Science lessons (very true).

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Jun-18 15:44:40

I've only got posh organic cider vinegar, will it work with that?
The bicarb was a cheap one from Lidl though

lemongrove Sat 16-Jun-18 15:43:33

grin??

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Jun-18 15:33:23

I wonder if MI5 have just been alerted to GN
shock

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Jun-18 15:32:30

Yes, bicarb, vinegar, toilet paper and a plastic bottle:
www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Vinegar-Bomb

Telly Sat 16-Jun-18 15:24:04

Oh, that was from a science kit, you had to add the bicarb.

Telly Sat 16-Jun-18 15:23:35

Well who knew! Used it last summer holiday to make a 'bomb' with GS, he seemed to find it quite amusing!

Franbern Sat 16-Jun-18 10:27:05

Many many years back when four of my children, all quite young, developed chicken pox, almost simultaneously, I managed to purchase large boxes of BoS at Boots, and placed a good couple of handfuls of this into their evening baths. Definitely helped to reduce the itchiness.
BoS, and White Vinegar (plus water) are really just about all the cleaning agents required in the average home.

hildajenniJ Thu 14-Jun-18 20:18:03

I have taken it in solution to relieve indigestion, but I use it as a raising agent in baking. My DGC love drop scones or scotch pancakes and the recipe calls for bicarb and cream of tartar. I always have both in my cupboard.

Maggiemaybe Thu 14-Jun-18 19:54:12

When I kicked a whole generous glass of red wine over my new carpet lately I did a panicked google and found a site recommending a solution of hot water, washing up liquid, bicarbonate and white vinegar. It worked like a charm.

I'm another who always uses it for cleaning up sick, etc, but hadn't heard of its effect on spots. Off to dig it out now and make a paste...

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Jun-18 19:41:04

If I think I am starting with cystitis I will drink a solution of bicarb in water, and I have heard that we should drink it daily as our bodies are too acid.
However, I'm not sure that that is true.

It's excellent for getting rid of smells eg sick, pet accidents, etc.
And I use it to wash out the fridge as it deodorises as well as cleans.

BlueBelle Thu 14-Jun-18 18:39:49

I have used it for years for cystitis drink it like crazy in the first day it may halt it or at least make it more bearable before you can get antibiotics if needed
It’s also good for smells

Willow500 Thu 14-Jun-18 17:56:40

My MIL once put a paste of this on a very swollen insect bite I had - it went down in about an hour.

Parsley3 Thu 14-Jun-18 17:53:02

A paste made from bicarbonate of soda is good for calming itchy chickenpox spots.

petra Thu 14-Jun-18 17:04:59

I clean my teeth with it and every so often I de- gunk my hair. It gets rid of the buildup of all the 'products i/we use on our hair.

Fennel Thu 14-Jun-18 16:14:26

Drinking a solution - it's an antacid and is supposed to be good for cystitis.
It has many uses. eg deodorant. One I've used is to freshen the microwave. Put a couple of spoonfuls in a glass with some water and boil for a few minutes. Adding some lemon also helps.

Teetime Thu 14-Jun-18 16:07:48

The only thing I use it for is cleaning vacuum flasks. I thought you weren't supposed to drink this as a regular thing as it affects blood chemistry.

polyester57 Thu 14-Jun-18 15:12:18

I have only recently been reading about the many benefits of this, such as drinking a glass of water with a quarter of teaspoon of bicarbonate every morning. Have any of you been doing this? I was so curious that I put some BoS diluted with water on a spot that had come up on my arm and it seemed to disappear within minutes.