Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Shocked at my anger

(16 Posts)
Nanano Sun 08-Jul-18 22:59:33

I am so embarrassed and ashamed. Some neighbours have set of fireworks and in all my 60 years I have never had such a fright . It’s July the windows are all open a quite Sunday evening and the last thing you’d expect especially as a lot of older people live by us . I was so frightened and angry I shouted out using some colourful language.
Now I’m so embarrassed and ashamed.

ginny Sun 08-Jul-18 23:03:15

Don’t worry about it.
You got a fright, why shouldn’t you react ? Personally I think they should apologise. They could have warned you.

gillybob Sun 08-Jul-18 23:10:02

Don’t be embarrassed or ashamed Nanano you got a fright and had every right to shout a few “choice words “ !

If it makes you feel any better .... I had only just filled my line with baby clothes yesterday morning ( about 10 am ) and the idiot next door lit a BBQ right next to my fence ( well away from his house mind you) The fumes and smoke blew straight at my washing and in through my window so the entire house smelled of fire lighter fluid and all my lovely baby washing had to be redone . I didn’t half let rip! I mean who the hell lights a BBQ at that time in the morning ? And why so close to my house and away from theirs ? angry

MawBroon Sun 08-Jul-18 23:13:04

Given that it is not Bonfire Night/Eid/Divali or the Queen’s Birthday grin it outdoor have been a courtesy to warn you in advance. What about any animals in the neighbourhood?
I see you posted at 10.59
Were the fireworks after 10.30?
If so they were breaking the law too.
No, don’t feel ashamed or embarrassed, you are entitled to feel bl**dy angry! angry

Nanano Sun 08-Jul-18 23:13:50

I won’t hold my breath wait for an apology . My reaction was totally out of character. Maybe I’m turning into a grumpy old woman. Thank you for your kind words x

MawBroon Sun 08-Jul-18 23:14:05

It would have been a courtesy not “outdoors” blush

Nanano Sun 08-Jul-18 23:18:02

It was about 9 -45 and there is a lot of older people who would never have expected what were probably not domestic firework in July x

MawBroon Sun 08-Jul-18 23:24:30

OK so legal but still very inconsiderate.

Eloethan Mon 09-Jul-18 01:12:30

I think most people, when they experience fright or pain, come out with a few choice words that they would not normally use. Don't worry about it - it's the people who set off the fireworks that should be embarrassed.

annep Mon 09-Jul-18 05:43:53

We all react like that sometimes. And of course we'd prefer not to. But we are only human. I wouldn't give it another thought. Stupid people anyway.....

Billybob4491 Mon 09-Jul-18 06:44:47

Nan - my neighbours have had a bbq going nonstop for the last three weeks, forgot what fresh air is!

OldMeg Mon 09-Jul-18 07:28:56

Just forget it! Or laugh it off.

Iam64 Mon 09-Jul-18 07:48:45

I live close to one of the moorland fires. No doubt that influences my response but - what is anyone doing setting off fireworks when the land is timber dry?
I confess to disliking the things and wishing they could only be used in organised displays. They terrify some animals, people suffering ptsd (particularly ex service personnel) and are used far too often.
However as OldMeg says - forget it. You were shocked and reacted, fair enough. If anyone should apologise its your neighbours

sodapop Mon 09-Jul-18 08:12:11

Quite understand your reaction Nanano no need to be concerned. You are as entitled to react as they are to set off fireworks for no good reason.

Brunette10 Mon 09-Jul-18 08:35:00

Nanano - don't be cross with yourself. I agree with ginny. A pre-warning would have been mannerly I think. Just putt out your head.

Nanano Mon 09-Jul-18 10:34:51

Thank you all. Feel better about it this morning and all your lovely comments help a lot . Will hold my head high .
Maybe they will think twice next time . Have a lovely day everyone xxx