Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Worthwhile Volunteering

(10 Posts)
Melanieeastanglia Fri 13-Jul-18 12:58:19

I volunteer for Citizens Advice. I am not an adviser but I "work" on Reception and do other clerical/admin tasks two days a week.

I think I am putting something back into Society and it is good for me on many levels. Actually, I look forward to going in.

oldbatty Fri 13-Jul-18 12:05:12

I help out with people learning English. Its great because they are younger than me , I have to get in the car and go to a different area and it reminds me that there is a life out there.

Panache Fri 13-Jul-18 11:36:48

Being what I like to call a Cancer survivor I set my heart on my recovery on bringing better cancer services into my county,this snowballed into actually forming firstly a Support Group,and upgrading Hospital services to actually the implementing of a beautiful fully functioning Cancer Centre with the help and support from another equally eager Cancer survivor..............

We then, in the main, ran this Centre and counselled both patient and family for the best part of 20 years +.
It served me and my well being so well, and I had as much satisfaction and pleasure from offering a listening ear and helping hand to others travelling down that worrying and fretful route so for me Voluntary work was a real uplift,giving great satisfaction and a purpose each and every day.
I eventually was forced to hand over the reins to others with willing helping hands,and yes I think they too would endorse my feelings to a T.

Job satisfaction plus plus!!

Jane10 Fri 13-Jul-18 11:28:19

I kept on a couple of groups that I used to run while working. They might have folded after I left formal employment so I continue on a voluntary basis. I'd say they are an important aspect of my life. Very worthwhile for me personally and I hope they help the people attending.

KatyK Fri 13-Jul-18 11:16:24

You don't realise to you kitty that there are people who have no support when going through cancer and other illnesses. DH wanted to give something back for the wonderful care he received.

kittylester Fri 13-Jul-18 11:00:25

I help to deliver Alzheimer's Scoiety courses to the Carers of people living with dementia and absolutely love it.

The courses are run for one session a week over 6 weeks. We cover such aspects as what dementia is, strategies for coping, where to go for help, benefits, legal aspects (PoAs etc) and, most importantly, looking after themselves.

The carers are real heroes and so interesting. They gain hugely from coming on the courses and are so pleased to meet other people in the same position. They often form ad hoc support networks when the course is finished.

I did some training to be a National Trust guide but everyone I met was like me. grin

My DH does volunteer driving for RVS, katy, mostly taking people for cancer treatments.

I started volunteering for the Alzheimer's Society after 2 people with whom DH shared a student house were diagnosed. Their partners felt marooned after the diagnosis and I started researching stuff for them. I came across the Carer's Courses and got hooked.

It would be interesting to hear what motivates people to do their chosen type of volunteering.

KatyK Fri 13-Jul-18 10:24:59

I too have been helping out with readers in an infants school for the past 3 years or so. It's very rewarding. I sometimes get asked to help out on school trips. So far I have been to a castle, an adventure park, a play, a Think Tank. Such fun. When my DH was being treated for cancer, he realised there were many people who had no one to take them to appointments. He volunteered as a driver for a charity which did this. Sadly the charity has now closed. He has also been a guide for the National Trust.

J52 Fri 13-Jul-18 10:06:21

I’ve been a Silverline phone friend for a few years now. It’s really worthwhile and you ‘meet’ such interesting people.

sodapop Fri 13-Jul-18 10:03:01

I organised a group of volunteers to befriend some learning disabled adults. Turned out to be as good for the volunteers as it was for the people they helped.
I am currently volunteering in a small library, my role has expanded a lot over time but I love it all.

Elrel Fri 13-Jul-18 09:36:16

It would be interesting to know of volunteering opportunities which have proved positive for both the GN volunteer and the organisation.
My recent experience has been an enjoyable year with Beanstalk reading charity in an infant school.
I’ve also worked in a charity shop. It all comes down to the people especially the manager who can make or break a shop. Fellow volunteers also make a big difference. It’s a good way to meet lots of local people. Youre never bored!