Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Lidl/Aldi tills

(8 Posts)
BBbevan Tue 17-Jul-18 12:15:11

Does anyone know why Lidl and Aldi constantly change which tills are operating.? I can think of no logical reason

jusnoneed Tue 17-Jul-18 12:51:54

Our new Lidls are always trying to push people to use the self service tills. They are ok if you have half a dozen things but a trolley full is a nightmare when stuff doesn't scan etc. Sometimes there are no ordinary tills open, but when they are there is usually a long queue. Eventually they open another but then close it after 10 minutes or so or like you say switch to a different one. We have switched back to our old store as they only have normal tills so you actually get served. If I'm spending my money in a shop the least they can do is have enough staff to serve people.

Our Asda store has just been refitted and they have done away with at least half the ordinary tills, added more self serve and a new self scan system where you scan goods with a handheld device as you go around and pay at the end. How that's not open to shop lifting I don't know.

petra Tue 17-Jul-18 12:52:51

Why don't you contact them and ask?
That way you will get the answer, not just lots of assumptions. That's unless we have a Aldi /Lidl worker on GN.

Liz46 Tue 17-Jul-18 14:19:40

We tried to join the self scan at Asda but even with the help of the assistant, the thing wouldn't work. Some of the letters tapped in 'took' but others were not accepted. I lost the will to live in the end and gave up.

ninathenana Tue 17-Jul-18 15:32:37

Liz our Asda has had self scan for a month or two. I can't be bothered to even try smile
They had them in the Tesco where DD used to live in Surrey 5 yrs ago. They are a novelty in my little back water.

Soupy Tue 17-Jul-18 15:35:23

Whereas Waitro*e in my area have had self scanners for many years and I find them extremely useful.

BBbevan Tue 17-Jul-18 18:07:49

Tesco self scanners are great. Now and again you get an item check by an assistant. Just in case you have forgotten to scan something. But that's fine if you are honest.

tanith Tue 17-Jul-18 18:40:53

I find Tesco self scan such a time saver it rarely causes a problem.