Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What would you do?

(121 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Jul-18 16:52:32

As you all probably already know, we would love to get Gransnet on everyone's radar. We think it's amazing (grin) and would love to reach more people to share it with them too... And from a business, we-need-to-keep-the-site-going point of view, we need to keep growing. So, we wanted to ask your opinion. How should we spread the word? How do we reach people who don't already know about Gransnet but who would really enjoy it if they did?

gmelon Mon 22-Oct-18 13:38:22

riverwalk
How will I judge my status in the "educated and middle class" stakes?
Are as you say "most posters on gransnet" in this category?
I jolly well hope not.
Interesting conversation comes from a mix of lifestyles. I'd not want the site to become stale.

Romychoc Fri 19-Oct-18 11:38:57

I found out from Mumsnet. Followers do not need to be mutually exclusive. It depends on what I want to find out, share, or be entertained by.

Bridgeit Wed 17-Oct-18 20:31:39

Advertise in Libraries

LullyDully Wed 17-Oct-18 16:47:31

I have only recently started visiting again. A couple of years ago I was very keen. But it did get very acrimonious with people criticising others , very rudely ,so I gave up . The atmosphere is better now and will need to stay like this if members are to increase in numbers.

MargaretX Tue 16-Oct-18 21:32:44

I started right at the beginning but have noticed that the mood has changed, not for the better. Perhaps it is the result of the Brexit debate. Just one more thing changed and spoilt by this referendum.
Very often lately I delete my post before sending it off but I'll let this one go.
I've no idea where to find new members and didn't know it had to grow. GN made mistakes themselves publishing the results of GN posts.

loopyloo Mon 15-Oct-18 20:20:08

Perhaps having a poster on the site that we could print off and then ask places like the doctors surgery or local notice boards to put up. I really think GN helps in the fight against loneliness.

BlueBelle Mon 15-Oct-18 20:16:44

I
Ike it as it is

luluaugust Mon 15-Oct-18 14:20:16

I knew about mumsnet and just typed in gransnet one day to see what came up - bingo. Try to get on one of the big daytime or early evening shows.

FlexibleFriend Sun 29-Jul-18 17:16:34

I'm not being critical of the site either Maggiemaybe but I really don't know how you can attract younger people. The name is enough to put most people off but it's a bit late to change it now. Forums generally seem to be struggling whatever their point of interest is. I was talking to my eldest son about it yesterday and he couldn't offer any input other than if I wasn't careful I'd turn into an old fogey. I have a wide range of interests that really don't seem to coincide with most of the topics on here which is fair enough, I don't expect to find everything I want or need in one place, so I look elsewhere. It's been educational reading many of the threads to discover I'm so out of step with other people. I'm not complaining about that, it's just weird because I consider myself so "Normal" whatever that is. I don't watch a lot of daytime tv, if I do it stuff like get the builders in, Love it or list it which I record and watch in the day. Programs about refurbishing/ restructuring houses, can't remember the name but Simon O'Brian presents it. Used to watch the Wright stuff but again fast forwarded through large chunks of it. I also watch a lot of political stuff too. I'm currently immobile so could do with something decent to watch but find little that attracts my interest. I've been preoccupied lately with getting quotes for my new Conservatory roof, blimey they vary massively for near identical specifications. I was hoping to get some ideas from them, it's their job after all but most of the ideas have had to come from me. It's almost as if they don't want the work but it's not a small amount of money, the highest quote was around £28,000 I could have understood it if we were talking £3000 but I just think everyone is short of ideas on just about everything. Being immobile has been a massive eye opener too, I'm used to undertaking quite large projects myself but these days I'm having to resort to using tradesmen and it's woeful no wonder I've always been a Diyer. Obviously the conservatory roof replacement was always going to need a professional, just be nice if I could find one I could trust to do as I ask for a realistic budget.
So as for finding somewhere to talk about it on T.v not loose women bloody awful program how about something like the one show. I don't know, I don't claim to have the answers or speak for anyone but me.

Maggiemaybe Thu 26-Jul-18 23:13:50

So what would you suggest, FlexibleFriend? I am genuinely interested, not being critical. If you think we should be attracting younger members, how would you go about it?

FlexibleFriend Thu 26-Jul-18 20:52:00

Well I'm glad I found it for myself as most of these suggestions would have passed me by. The Archers, womans hour etc I have never listened to, the U3a looks to have a membership a lot older than me etc etc. I don't knit or crochet and never will. I often think when reading posts that you could do with attracting younger members. Maybe it's not that members are old they might just have old ideas or whatever but they frequently are at odds with how I think. I also don't get the secrecy thing, I don't care who knows I'm on here but each to their own as they say. I don't know I'm certainly not going to fall out with any one over it.

mrsjones Mon 23-Jul-18 15:10:16

I first heard about GN on my local BBC radio station so maybe that could be a way to tell more people (no idea if educated middle class tune in).
I do think GN would benefit from gaining more new posters and not just recycled old ones as it often seems more like a private club than a public forum.

mogg Mon 23-Jul-18 14:17:35

I suppose making it bigger is purely for the businesses side and not for our benefit really

But surely it needs to be commercially viable (hence bigger) in order to keep it running for our benefit?

Luckylegs9 Mon 23-Jul-18 11:21:56

I would come off and rejoin using different name if it became too big.

Alexa Mon 23-Jul-18 10:13:56

I am a member of Mensa although not I've not had an MOT for forty years, and I watch daytime television.

Dolcelatte Mon 23-Jul-18 05:03:53

I think she means it is old fashioned and frumpy, and that the middle class and educated people, who represent Gransnet's core membership, are unlikely to be watching daytime television.

DanniRae Sun 22-Jul-18 23:09:14

Why wouldn't daytime tv watchers "stay and post" Riverwalk? I watch daytime tv and I have stayed and posted for over 2 years. Also "All a bit too Werther's Originals and Peoples's Friend" - I don't have any idea what that means? But you are certainly right that "we are all different and it takes all sorts". Your post has certainly proved that!

Riverwalk Sun 22-Jul-18 17:45:41

I came to GN after reading an article in The Guardian or Times. In as much as one can generalise, and based on what they say, I think most posters on GN are educated and living a middle-class lifestyle (regardless of origins).

I don't think plugs on the daytime TV programmes mentioned would attract members who would stay and post.

We are all different and it takes all sorts - doctors surgeries, bowls clubs, Gloria Hunniford, golf clubs etc., made me groan for some reason! All a bit too Werther's Originals and People's Friend sounding.

Mumsnet is extremely successful and high-profile - Gransnet should be more heavily promoted there.

DanniRae Sun 22-Jul-18 13:28:09

Thanks Kim! - I appreciate that smile

Kim19 Sun 22-Jul-18 13:19:35

I would like to say a huge ditto to most of DanniRae's post.

DanniRae Sun 22-Jul-18 08:48:26

BlueBelle - I have pm'd you smile

DanniRae Sun 22-Jul-18 08:46:40

I can't remember how I found Gransnet but I am very glad that I did. I am on here most days but steer clear of any sites where people get wound up and are rude to one another. I tell everyone about being on here and find myself saying, maybe too frequently, how I had read such and such on Gransnet! I never tell anyone my user name and as it is nothing like my real name I don't think any one would be able to identify me.
I watch a lot of tv because I can and I enjoy it so "Yes" to a mention on Loose Women (I agree it is not always enjoyable but I record it and fast forward the bits I am not enjoying.)
I don't think there is a typical Gransnetter - and most are very kind and supportive of other posters - but a few seem to definitely come on here to cause trouble and upset others but, to be honest, I just feel sorry for them as they must be very unhappy people.
I think I have said enough - well done if you have got this far!!
One last thing to all lurkers - please join in. The first time I posted I made a complete mess of it and my post appeared 3 times. I felt a fool but it didn't put me off! grin

Synonymous Sat 21-Jul-18 18:05:22

Bluegal I loathe facebook except for seeing family photographs. I cannot bear to read all the vaccuity- so I don't. GN is much more normal and fairly sane so don't look for help and just keep on keeping on. grin

Bluegal Sat 21-Jul-18 17:28:55

I don’t have any suggestions Laura. I don’t really tell friends/family I am on as initially I found the site because I was struggling with certain things. I was helped enormously on here and that side of things have resolved.

The only thing I can say is I appear to be “addicted” to Gransnet now! It’s overtaken Facebook for me!!! I love the discussions even those that get heated lol. Does anyone else feel compelled to keep looking even if everyone disagrees with your views? Should I be seeking help for this addiction ??

Auntieflo Sat 21-Jul-18 16:43:32

I agree with Synonymous, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Just recently there do seem to be a lot more new names posting on here. I know you do have to grow, probably from advertising, but would hate it to get too big. As to Loose Women, I have only seen a snippet, once, it was awful, don't go there! I do like my anonymity, but have enjoyed a couple of Meet Ups. Lots of interesting points made here though.