Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Teeth whitening

(5 Posts)
nuttynana Fri 20-Jul-18 17:29:22

I really do not spend much time or money on my appearance but my teeth are not very attractive and are also very stained and yellow .
I do not smoke or drink red wine but do drink tea .
I clean them often .
I am thinking of having them whitened . Not very white or un natural like celebs on the telly , just clean, not yellow brown . My dentist has quoted £500 for a treatment that you do at home over a few weeks with a mouth tray .
Anyone else have experience of this and ideas of prices .
It is a lot of money to me but I am increasingly embarrased by this .

Oopsadaisy53 Fri 20-Jul-18 17:41:37

That seems a lot for you to essentially do it yourself, DH bought a kit with the tray , but had to put Vaseline on his gums to prevent burning and he couldn’t keep it in for more than a few minutes as it made him gag, so he went to a ‘Salon ‘ that offered teeth whitening and was very pleased with the results, not too white, but better than before.

Oopsadaisy53 Fri 20-Jul-18 17:45:05

PS , they are a lot better regulated now,DH had it done about 10 years ago, so find someone who is qualified.

janeainsworth Fri 20-Jul-18 17:51:50

nuttynana the advantage of home whitening over having it done in the practice is that you keep the trays(which are like mouth guards) and then you can use them again, if you want to do any top-up whitening, as your teeth will probably become less white after a while.
Ask your dentist about this - how much further supplies of whitening gel would cost.
If your teeth get sensitive there is some gel you can use in the trays instead of the whitening gel for a few days. Ask your dentist about this too.
Don’t go to a beauty salon. Beauty therapists aren’t qualified to do dentistry and some of them use substances which can be very harmful to your teeth and gums.
I hope that helps.

nuttynana Fri 20-Jul-18 18:10:00

Thank you. I would only use a dentist I trust but yes , it does seem a lot for a "do it yourself " although I understand that it is a stronger solution than you can buy over the counter .