Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Kitchen acoustics

(8 Posts)
kittylester Sun 19-Aug-18 07:54:16

Our kitchen is the place where everyone congregated but the acoustics are dreadful. This has become much more apparent this week as we have had 2 granddaughters staying and, being little girls, the noise is high pitched and loud.

We have padded window seats, a roller blind faux curtains and the kitchen chairs are also padded.

Does anyone have any ideas that might help before they come again, short of reverting to polystyrene tiles - which have been very tempting this week? grin

kittylester Sun 19-Aug-18 07:55:20

congregated congregates!

harrigran Sun 19-Aug-18 08:17:23

Noise cancelling headphones ?
I would be tempted to play some gentle heavy metal on ipod, cancels out the girlie squeals grin

Greyduster Sun 19-Aug-18 09:04:26

I am tempted to say have them one at a time, but where is the fun in that? I know from when GS has had his friends round to his house, they are no less noisy (except, mercifully, they don’t squeal!) and when he is here, he and Grandad make enough noise for a dozen. Just keep saying to yourself “they’re only here for a little while!”

ninathenana Sun 19-Aug-18 11:06:54

Do you have flagstone or other type of hard floor ?
Perhaps some kind of temporary floor covering such as sisal matting.

Jalima1108 Sun 19-Aug-18 11:38:15

I was going to ask about the flooring - what about that hard wearing vinyl flooring?

Chuck them out in the garden? I'm sure they have macs, so even if it's raining grin

NanaandGrampy Sun 19-Aug-18 11:45:04

oh I SOOOOO know what you mean Kitty after a week in the little boys company !!

I found there were 2 effective solutions.

1. I used Bluetooth headsets whenever they were watching a movie or playing a game on their iPads. They seem to be able to sit side by side with the volume up high on 2 different shows without them worrying !! I checked the volume then put on their headsets....almost silence...briefly !!

2. Our bungalow is sort of c shaped with the kitchen at one end and the orangery at the other.... I directed them to play their game at whichever end of the C I wasn't.... :-)

Worked even more briefly... the other choice was to take them outside where it always seems less piercing !

Good luck with the new tiling :-)

grandtanteJE65 Mon 20-Aug-18 12:37:24

Is there wall space enough to hang up a nice thick rug on the wall? You can fire-proof it, if it is not 100% sheep's wool.

Or a large hessian covered noticeboard?

Some nice thick mats on the floor? But do please make sure no-one can trip over them or it will be a case of "out of the frying pan into the fire"