Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Colleague stealing

(63 Posts)
Grannyben Sun 19-Aug-18 18:46:52

My employer is very good to us all and would help us in any way he could. It is a family business, previously run by his father, who helped his employees in the same manner.
We had a new colleague join us about 2 years ago. He seems to work to his own rules and has been pulled up on a number of occasions. He always seems to have an explanation for what he's done.
Today, it has come to my attention that there is about £500 of stock missing. This is quite a small amount in relation to what we sell and it is highly unlikely to be ever picked up.
I know I must speak to my employer tomorrow, it is the right thing to do but, I have spent the last 6 hours worrying that it might be something he is aware of or, that there is an explanation for it. The other side of me is yelling that he's ripping him off.
I wish I'd never found out now

starbird Mon 27-Aug-18 02:24:56

Congratulations for screwing up the courage to do it. What a lovely boss you have too. Hopefully now the weight is off your mind, you can relax and sleep well.

Franbern Fri 24-Aug-18 15:30:00

Many, many years back, working for a small craft Trades Union, I totally accidently discovered a fraud, whilst the person who was committing it was on holiday. Had been doing this for a couple of years, and accounts had actually successfully gone through two audits. I was by sheer accident that I discovered it, and passed on the information straight away. Upshot was, police were involved, and the atmosphere in that office for the next few months was horrific. She was arrested on return from holiday, and all sorts of extra procedures put in place to prevent any repetition. Must say over that first few weeks I often wished I had not noticed the forgery which led me to questioning things - but it was our members money she was ripping off, so was glad that it had all come out. Just wondered how gullible we had all been for so long.

Grannyben Tue 21-Aug-18 19:45:33

Thank you all so very much, gransnet at its very best

Katekeeprunning Tue 21-Aug-18 11:58:18

You did the right thing. If you hadn't spoken to your boss it would always have annoyed you.

Take care

M0nica Tue 21-Aug-18 11:11:58

GrannyBen Well done, I know it caused you much grief, but what you did was the right thing. It is up to the manager now to deal with it.

Moocow Tue 21-Aug-18 08:59:39

I was just going to post the same as mapleleaf . Hope today is a good day grannyben you hopefully feel better knowing that you did the right thing, just sorry another's actions caused you so much upset but if it didn't you wouldn't be the honest person you obviously are.

sazz1 Tue 21-Aug-18 08:58:17

I had a cafe years ago and garage partners used to come every day moaning about each other. When one went on holiday the next day their PA came in crying, jumped in a taxi and left at 9am. The partner came and told me she had been taking large amounts of cash but he had thought his partner was ripping him off. Turned out other partner had thought the same of him! If only they had talked about it together were best friends after this. Do report it you never know who is blaming the wrong person

Mapleleaf Tue 21-Aug-18 08:50:06

? grannyben. Hope you managed a good nights sleep.

Joelise Mon 20-Aug-18 23:17:26

Grannyben , you are obviously a good and honest person , you've done the right thing in talking to your boss.

Brismum Mon 20-Aug-18 22:50:24

Well done Grannyben that must have been hard. Hope the birthday tea helped to relax you and you get a good sleep. Whether the employee goes or not you’ve done the right thing and it’s no longer your responsibility. Sleep tight.

cornergran Mon 20-Aug-18 22:38:19

The responsibility is now with the right person grannyben. Sleep well, you had good motives, will be comfortable with yourself now and as marydoll said have done nothing wrong.

kathsue Mon 20-Aug-18 22:36:32

Good for you Grannyben, you've done the right thing. It's out of your hands now so relax and get a good night's sleep.

Auntieflo Mon 20-Aug-18 22:35:38

Well done Grannyben, for screwing up the courage to speak to your boss. Now have a decent night's sleep. Night, night, sleep tight.

Marydoll Mon 20-Aug-18 22:30:49

Grannyben, now you have told your employer, it's up to him to decide the next course of action.
Try and forget about what's happened, ( not easy, I know) and get a good sleep. You must be exhausted.
Tomorrow is a new day. You haven't done anything wrong.?

Melanieeastanglia Mon 20-Aug-18 22:27:26

Well done Grannyben! It can't have been easy but I believe you did the right thing.

Grannyben Mon 20-Aug-18 22:22:11

I've just come online and seen that so many of you have taken the time to respond, thank you so very much. I've been at work all day and then out for a birthday tea.
Well, I had a terrible night, I spent hours rehearsing what I was going to say and then it all went to pot when I got in there. In I went, burst into tears (sleepless night and anxiety aren't a good combination for me) and then we say down and had a good chat about my suspicions. As I expected, my employer was very supportive and told me no amount of lost stock is worth me getting into a state over.
He is fully aware of all the details and we left it at that. If the employee departs i will obviously know why, otherwise I know he won't discuss the matter with me any further.
I'm hoping for a good night's sleep now but I am so very grateful to you all, your support means so much , particularly when you are on your own.

Menopaws Mon 20-Aug-18 21:28:54

Your employer sounds like he is a decent enough person to be told, it may be £500 now but if the person gets away with it it will be more next time. Whistleblowing is hard but if done properly will not come down on you but will save someone who sounds like a good boss a lot of money

Mapleleaf Mon 20-Aug-18 21:01:20

Have you resolved it Grannyben?
As other posters say, you do need to say something, and the checking your calculations seems a good way to do it.

jevive73 Mon 20-Aug-18 20:32:21

My son worked at a builders supplier and some people would arrive and load up and pay cash to one of the workers for goods at a very reduced rate. This is theft and can put small companies out of business.

willa45 Mon 20-Aug-18 16:17:44

Today, it has come to my attention that there is about £500 of stock missing........^I know I must speak to my employer tomorrow, it is the right thing to do^

Whether or not, it's the 'right' thing to do, depends on your role within the company. To begin with, unless there's due diligence, employers cannot act on mere suspicions. Someone's job and livelihood could be at stake here and there are also legal implications.

If your job responsibility is to report a discrepancy, then by all means, proceed under company guidelines (albeit small businesses often lack clear policies). Your employer will take it from there.

Having said that, I would not escalate without investigating the matter further. It could be an accounting error, misplaced inventory, a delayed sales report, etc.

pamdixon Mon 20-Aug-18 12:54:03

good luck. Let us know how you get on and what the outcome is.

Emptynester Mon 20-Aug-18 12:53:39

You need to do your job and no more. It is the correct thing to do to tell your employer of the discrepancy regardless of the causality. Anything else is down to him. Try not to worry about this.

lottagelady Mon 20-Aug-18 12:32:22

I hope it all went well this morning, it was the right thing to do ....

grandtanteJE65 Mon 20-Aug-18 12:03:08

It sounds to me as if your colleague is running a scam, relying on the fact that no-one will be likely to notice. He will go on unless he is stopped, and he might even be able to implicate you or some other innocent person, so please, do speak up now, without mentioning who you suspect.

JenniferEccles Mon 20-Aug-18 11:57:40

Whatever you do, do not mention any of this to the suspected person. What a daft suggestion.

You must tell the boss though. He will be very grateful that you have brought it to his attention.