Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Psychic children?

(58 Posts)
Telly Mon 27-Aug-18 17:32:27

There is an online article today, think started by a thread on MN, about things children say and do that seem to be psychic or odd. My GS was about 2 when he suddenly said 'You used to be Nanny E!'. This took be back as Nanny E was my great grandmother who died in 1925. My own mother used to run errands for her. There is no way he could have known her name. Odd or what?

Maggiemaybe Wed 29-Aug-18 18:33:20

When I tripped and fell one morning and staggered home with bleeding knees, a bruised forehead and, it turned out later, a broken bone in my hand, I texted DD2 full of self pity to say that DH was still in bed and I was having to sort myself out. As she read the text, her DS1 (aged 2) said that he was just going to ring for an ambulance as an old lady had fallen over in the street and needed help. grin

michel55 Wed 29-Aug-18 17:41:40

i am not sure if it the same but I have often the feeling there is someone around me..... it is very quick and like someone is moving, passing by me . I am always alone when it's happen ...I don't see anyone really but it is the feeling there is someone around but when I focus on the area I think there was something..... there is nothing ..

Anniebach Wed 29-Aug-18 11:03:06

A little boy in the Junior School in Aberfan drew a sketch of his class room , he coloured areas with black pencil, he drew the clock on the wall with the time set at the time the tip came down , he died.

goldengirl Wed 29-Aug-18 09:46:26

I often hear footsteps coming down the stairs in our house but never mention it to anyone apart for DH who's never heard them. However when the GC were around 3-4 each one has separately asked who the man is coming down the stairs - and on one occasion one of them asked who's the man in the hall? I've seen him once but not at the same time as any of the GC! Now they're older they've not mentioned him again.

Katek Wed 29-Aug-18 09:44:04

MissAdventure gringrin !

kathyd Wed 29-Aug-18 09:38:26

Not a child but an odd happening nevertheless.
My mother and her youngest sister were very close. My uncle and aunt used to spend the winters in Spain and I used to ring regularly to let them know how my mother was when she was in hospital.
One time I rang and before I said anything my aunt said, "Agnes has died hasn't she?" My uncle later told me that she had remarked that to him the evening before at exactly the time when she had died.

TwiceAsNice Wed 29-Aug-18 08:56:38

Presence not prescience

TwiceAsNice Wed 29-Aug-18 08:55:50

Small children have no preconceptions of what is "normal" so are open to seeing anything . Some people believe children's imaginary friends are spirit children ie the ghosts of dead children which live children accept as just like themselves. As we age the world takes over and we lose the sense we had. I don't remember things as a child but as an adult am sensitive to atmospheres in buildingsand have had the feeling I have been somewhere before although I know I haven't visited there previously. I once went upstairs at a friends house ( not been upstairs before) and on the bend of the stairs said there was a cold spot. She said the previous owner had died at that spot after having a heart attack and falling. In another friends house, she'd just moved in and was showing several of us around I wouldn't go into the one bedroom because there was the feeling of an awful prescience there.

Carolebarrel Wed 29-Aug-18 08:43:50

When I was 7 or 8, I went to stay at my aunts house while my mum visited my much loved grandad in hospital. During the night I awoke to see my grandad standing by my bed smiling at me. The next morning I was told that he had died during the night in the hospital. I remember the image so clearly.

lottagelady Wed 29-Aug-18 08:40:43

MissAdventure - what a cracking comment, you just started my day with a good laugh! Lol x

FarNorth Wed 29-Aug-18 00:05:39

Many nurses believe that there are hauntings in hospitals.

Maybe a person in spirit is more likely to appear in a place, or close to people, that were important to them.

MissAdventure Tue 28-Aug-18 23:45:22

There's probably a waiting list for hospital haunting.
Unless you pay privately.

Apricity Tue 28-Aug-18 23:43:35

So many intriguing stories told here. I often have "feelings" about places but as a naturally sceptical person I try to consider what might have prompted the particular vibes about a place, perhaps at a subconscious level. I also wonder why the sense of the spirits of deceased people generally seems to be found in domestic settings and not in places like hospitals where hundreds and often thousands of people have died often in painful and distressing circumstances. The mystery continues....

MissAdventure Tue 28-Aug-18 22:24:08

My friends daughter aged about 3, was messing about at the table, pushing her chair back onto 2 legs.
My friend told her if she kept doing it she would fall..
Her daughter said "No I won't!" then looked at the empty chair and said "I won't, will I grandad?"
(Her grandad had died around a year before)

Matelda Tue 28-Aug-18 21:45:14

So many stories about children, and I have one too. My mother died long before my son was born, but when he was about 21 months old he found a picture of her as a young woman. Clearly delighted, he ran to me saying "G'anma, g'anma, g'anma!" I'd never talked to him about her or even chosen what to call her, but as I called her own mother 'Grandma' I know that she would have picked that for herself. Now I am 'Grandma' to his little daughter.

madmum38 Tue 28-Aug-18 19:58:32

My daughter used to talk about going up her magic ladder at night,she never knew my parents but started talking about things they said but thought she must have heard her saying about them but one day she began to tell me about their budgie called Peter,what colour he was and how he ate crisps,she never knew about the bird,I was only about 10 when they had it.
Another time my husband was a twin but his twin died at 39,only difference in them was his twin had a beard,no pictures of him in our home as my husband couldn’t look at it but daughter said when she went up her ladder there was a party and daddy was there but he had a furry face,wasn’t really sure what to believe after that

Busset135 Tue 28-Aug-18 19:04:57

When my cousins son was small he had an imaginary friend, a little elf man that used to visit him. This elf man had a distinctive ,none human name. After a few months he was forgotten about and his mum thought no more about it. Years later she was talking with her sister in law and said this name. 'Oh 'said SIL 'how did you know about him ?' 'He was As imaginary friend when he was small ' 'No ' replied SIL 'He was Rs ( her son) imaginary friend ' The boys were 10 years different in age ,lived miles apart and only met up a few times a year. Yet had the same ( strangely named ) visitor

crazyH Tue 28-Aug-18 18:04:02

My friends and I have often talked about this and as a matter of one passed away recently.....we used to wonder why no one has yet appeared to us and told us what death and the after life was all about
My recently deceased friend has not come back, not even in a dream . We were so close.

grandma60 Tue 28-Aug-18 17:45:07

Used to be the Vicarage!

grandma60 Tue 28-Aug-18 17:44:08

When my cousin was a small child the family lived in an old house that used to be the garage. He remembered that there was a small white dog running around which to his mind must have been the family pet, although he did say that when he got older he realised that nobody else seemed to know it was there.
A few years later he was shown an old Victorian photo of the then vicar and his family. Three little girls in white dresses with the little white dog sitting beside them.

AnnS1 Tue 28-Aug-18 16:50:31

We moved into our old cottage around 6 years ago. Strange happenings from the start. Youngest grandson around 18 months used to stand in the hall chattering away and talking to something in the corner. We have had the kettle switching itself on while we were at the other side of the kitchen, this happened many times. I was in the shower, came through and the wee tv in our bedroom had come on at loudest setting, no one else in the house. The lid from the plastic box I had stored my kindling in was lying on the floor, on other side of the high freezer. Could not have blown over or anything. Sweet flowery scented smell in bedroom at night, the feeling that someone is there. Parked the carone day, walked round to the rear of it and really strong flowery smell there, I actually thought flowers had been delivered. Oddest thing was the day after my mother in laws funeral. Husband up just before me, I went into the kitchen to put the kettle on, came back out into the hall and there was a small brown bird walking up the hall carpet, it went into the lounge, flew up on the sofa and just sat there. Now we have dogs, neither the dogs or the bird seemed concerned about the other. Husband and I were a bit bemused by this. Ended up opening the window and put it out. Not worried about these things at all.

lottagelady Tue 28-Aug-18 15:12:41

Oooh - forgot to say, I had imaginary friends too Mrs Mung and Dizzy (Mung) her daughter when I was maybe 3 or 4 - strangely no-one ever heard me mention Mr Mung, who was obviously off the scene but we don't know why? At that point I didn't know of divorce or even knew any one parent families, so no idea what he was up to! Think they disappeared before I went to school, I must ask my Mum when I go up next! wink

JanaNana Tue 28-Aug-18 14:19:40

A few years ago I watched a TV programme about a little boy who lived in Glasgow. He was about 4/5 years old and kept saying to his mum "you are my other mummy" she was quite puzzled by this and quite upset when he kept telling other people that she was his other mummy. They thought he was being fostered or adopted. This developed further when he told her he had lived in a house where the aeroplanes landed on the beach, he was adamant about it and described in detail the house and small secret gate which led to the shore. His mum made all kinds of enquiries to try and solve this mystery. Eventually someone took it seriously and researched were possibly it could be. The family had only ever holidayed locally and were completely baffled. Then someone suggested the place could be a Scottish island called Barra. A journey was arranged for mum and her little boy to visit this island and sure enough he ran off straight to the house he had described and into a room he said was his with his other mummy. The only thing missing was his little dog which he remembered having. The secret gate was still there, but obviously not his other mummy.
His family I believe did quite a bit of research afterwards searching family trees etc. to try and establish the generations of people who had lived in this cottage on Barra, nothing sounded remotely familiar, so if there was a previous life of this little boy it was many generations before it seems.
It was a really interesting documentary ...I think it was called The Barra Boy.

DanniRae Tue 28-Aug-18 14:17:36

When I was 16 I moved house with my mum, dad and brother. When I was shown the room that was to be mine I said - I don't know why - I don't like that room because someone died in there. In due course I used to wake up and see a man standing by the bed (but only when the bed was in a certain position - I was always moving my bedroom around). I'd say "What do you want?" and he would disappear. Naturally this scared me and when I told my mum she said to take the dog up to bed with me as spirits didn't like dogs. Many years later she told me that when she first brought the dog up to my room he stood at the door and refused to come in - she had to give him a great big shove to get him to come in!!!! I was glad when I moved away from that house shock

Witzend Tue 28-Aug-18 14:14:48

I know of a couple of cases of very young children talking very matter-of-factly of when they were here 'before'. Seems to start at 3 -ish, presumably because only then do they usually have enough language to be able to articulate it - and it usually fades away by 5 or 6.