Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What cheers you up?

(63 Posts)
petitpois Thu 30-Aug-18 17:22:41

I've had a long, frustrating day of form-filling, misunderstandings and bureaucracy. And walking so my feet are aching. Now I'm at home, planning on running a hot bath, and I've picked up one of those takeaway Thai meals from Waitrose. Planning on snuggling on the sofa and watching a movie. What cheers you up after a long day?

MargaretX Sun 02-Sep-18 21:44:10

Waking up too early and then seeing through the curtains that its getting light. Then I turn over and usually sleep deeply. Contented.

Seeing a really old friend- like ginny said, someone you can trust.

Kim19 Sun 02-Sep-18 18:40:49

Taking any one item off my to do list no matter how big or small and a constantly active diary. Wonderful!

Lynne59 Sun 02-Sep-18 15:14:49

Being with my 2 little granddaughters

cuddling with my cat Mr Cooper

going out for dinner somewhere

my job on Fridays...it's a pleasure, not work.

Rufus2 Sun 02-Sep-18 09:37:04

What cheers me up all the time? Watching all the good old comedians of the 20th. century; Max Miller et.al, courtesy of Dr. Google. I don't need a sofa on which to curl up with laughter. grin

MaudLillian Sun 02-Sep-18 08:53:48

I can always be cheered up with a cup of tea and a good book. A huge boost would be a visit from my son and his little daughter. Watching a feel good film on TV can help too - plus a nice chunk of dark chocolate!

123kitty Sat 01-Sep-18 22:37:17

This fabulous summer

Menopaws Sat 01-Sep-18 20:39:19

Teetime I totally agree with you

Maimeo Sat 01-Sep-18 19:17:01

Maybe DanniRae prefers the taste of Diet Coke, Sarahellenwhitney, I know I do!
My favourite things at the end of a hard day’s work...... a G & (Slimline) T, dinner on the table cooked by DH, Gransnet to catch up on, Coronation St, a phone call to someone I’ve been meaning to catch up with, photos of our darling GS on the family WhatsApp, getting music ready for return to winter choir practice tomorrow, and lastly, slipping between freshly changed sheets on my bed with a good book. Aaaah!

Telly Sat 01-Sep-18 18:43:27

A visit to the local garden centre ususally does it for me! Flowers in general, thinking about it and of course my garden.

Nannylovesshopping Sat 01-Sep-18 17:44:43

Family, sunshine and gin?

Legs55 Sat 01-Sep-18 16:55:18

Sun shining

Sitting by the sea having coffee with friends

Hugs & kisses from DGS1, him telling me he loves me

My cat

Phone call from a friends

Blinko Sat 01-Sep-18 16:12:07

Washing blowing in the sunshine; unsolicited contact from the ACs; the prospect of three weeks abroad in the sun this Winter; a glass of Malbec; when the scales show my efforts to lose a little weight are working; seeing the GCs.

Auntieflo Sat 01-Sep-18 14:26:24

This morning, it was seeing our lovely new neighbour with her three month old twins, and their boxer puppy. ( I did get a lovely handwash from the puppy, I say puppy, she is 18 months old, but boxers never grow up, do they?). And, I did thoroughly wash my hands before going shopping. ?

Happysexagenarian Sat 01-Sep-18 13:59:29

My DH's smiling face - and better still snuggling up on the sofa with him and a glass of wine.

mimiro Sat 01-Sep-18 13:05:04

8 yr old granddaughter storming in with her 3 dogs,racoon and baby sister to play with my dog.kisses from all. and a nice picnic planned
many other things but this is todays.

loopyloo Sat 01-Sep-18 12:53:19

Ordering 6 lavender plants.

Maggiemaybe Sat 01-Sep-18 12:45:39

The hmm wasn’t for you or your dogs, Tillybelle. smile

Maggiemaybe Sat 01-Sep-18 12:44:29

hmm

Tillybelle Sat 01-Sep-18 12:38:32

Definitely my little dogs! Whether they are licking me, or dancing with glee because I have returned from, say, shopping, or curled up asleep on me, or running and skipping round each other in the garden. I couldn't live without them actually.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 01-Sep-18 12:28:52

DanniRae.A dinner cooked for you ,a whisky?, diet coke ?and a packet crisps? Why the 'diet' coke ?The whisky and most certainly the crisps themselves defeats your object if you are on a special programme / diet let alone the sugars and fats what the dinner itself contains unless it's based on 'rabbit' food. Live a little throw out your diet coke.

MissAdventure Sat 01-Sep-18 11:47:46

Putting on my slippers, and a lovely cup of home coffee.
A decent programme on the tv, and being able to walk by the sea.
My oldest grandson coming to visit..

CazB Sat 01-Sep-18 11:32:42

Being with good friends.
A good book.
Having my hair done.
A G&T.
A long dog walk through the woods.
My GS's grin.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 01-Sep-18 11:24:17

Sad and I should really get a life but a large extra shot Costa Latte to go with one of their delicious pastries and sit in my car in the supermarket car park after doing my shopping watching the world go by.
Not completely useless! I was able to on one occasion help a young mother who was in tears when her' little helper 'dropped a box of eggs.

4allweknow Sat 01-Sep-18 10:36:05

Having GC to stay, even for just a night.
Spontaneously being treated to a meal out (doesn't have to be grand) meaning I do t have to cook.
Not hearing any dogs barking in my area - bliss!

GabriellaG Sat 01-Sep-18 10:33:10

Phone calls from my sons. I always get so emotional as I miss them very much but they tell me not to be daft...in a nice way.
Daughters are always clattering dishes when they ring or doing shopping and the background noise is so annoying. I'm going to the IoWight tomorrow with a Meetup photography group, Sunday lunch roastchicken in a nice restaurant and putting our best photos online after we get home.
I hope all GNers can find something cheeful to smile about this weekend.
sunshinegrin