Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Clothes clearout

(101 Posts)
Cambia Tue 11-Sep-18 11:13:15

This morning I did my usual swap from summer to winter wardrobes. Every time I do this I sort out a charity pile for clothes that were mistakes or have not been worn, so I thought I was not a hoarder. Today I did this and have six huge bags of clothes to take to the charity shop!! I am horrified at the amount of clothes I seem to have gained.

To be fair, I did sort out a wardrobe of “good clothes” that I have kept because they were going out clothes and I thought they might just come in some time. One of the items was an expensive outfit that I bought for my sons wedding and have never worn since. They have been married over ten years! And hats from weddings went too.

Since retirement, I live in leggings and tops and rarely dress up. Why then do I still have two big wardrobes of clothes left??

Anyone got good advice on managing their wardrobe efficiently?

Kim19 Wed 12-Sep-18 18:18:29

Saggi, 10 pairs of shoes is not even close to too many. Carry on buying! I don't have a seasonal wardrobe. Simply layer up or down as required. My problem is one I thought would be a pleasure but it isn't. I've had the good fortune to lose a fair bit of weight and the result is that much of my wardrobe is too large. Now this is a classic collection which I have amassed over the years and truly love irrespective of age. Parting with them is a nightmare. Never imagined I'd feel like this and even the 'pleasure' of smaller replacements holds no joy. Something of a chore, in fact. Here I am again agonising over 'stuff'. Ridiculous.

Pinkshoes26 Wed 12-Sep-18 18:23:54

Summer and winter wardrobes? Sounds grand. All my clothes fit in my wardrobe, cupboard and x2 drawers. I have a clear out of my clothes about x4 times a year. The last one was about a month ago. X2 bags to Charity. I had tried on a lot of summer dresses I had owned for years. Got OH to take a photo of me in some so I could see for myself how I looked. 90% went.

petra Wed 12-Sep-18 19:35:52

morethan2
Thank you for giving some thought to the summer clothes donations.
I was in our shop today and was told that the container (that's a shipping container) is full. We still have about 20 boxes in the shop!
So now we are hiring a hall and get every volunteer we can to empty the container, sort the boxes again and be absolutely ruthless with throwing out, we hope to do this in a day.
But at least we will get money for the rag grin

etheltbags1 Wed 12-Sep-18 19:45:43

I'm so glad others are like me. I have 2 wardrobes and a rail of clothes. Oh dear.smile

Lancslass1 Wed 12-Sep-18 20:09:46

Cambria,I am intrigued by these leggings you 'live in'
What are they made of?
Are they glorified thick tights?
Do they have "feet " like tights or are they jeggings?
Presumably you don't wear leggings in the summer especially the summer we have just experienced.

Lorelei Wed 12-Sep-18 21:03:29

Not much advice from me as I'd only be recycling 'top tips' as such and have been rubbish at getting rid of stuff the last few times I've tried having a sort out. I pull loads out of the wardrobe, try things on, and end up with a bag or two for charity shops, a few items fit for the bin and the rest going back where it came from! I'm determined to be more ruthless on my next attempt, soon, and not just clothes - books, bric-a-brac, nan's belongings and other stuff needs tackling too. Good luck on finding a system that works for you.

CrazyGrandma2 Wed 12-Sep-18 21:04:00

The previous owners installed a lot of built in wardrobes which means I'm not short of space so wardrobes full of clothes I rarely wear. I did have a small clear out earlier this week.

Grammaretto Wed 12-Sep-18 21:36:15

Moths have been a great help in culling my wardrobe. shock
This year has been dreadful. I can't even give clothes away.
As for shoes: you people with more than 10 pairs must live alone. Where do you keep them all? I mean if everyone in the house has shoes and coats galore , where are they kept?

Marieeliz Wed 12-Sep-18 23:00:50

My house is up for sale and I have three rooms, three wardrobes all full of my clothes. I really must sort them out but they are good clothes and I am reluctant to get rid of some of them.

I will start on the sock drawer though three drawers full of socks. They really must go.

Bellanonna Wed 12-Sep-18 23:54:50

Does a girl really need three drawers full of socks Marieeliz? Maybe you could reduce the collection to half a drawer? I admit to having copious single socks waiting for the return of their partners, but I have decided to bin the lot now.

Greengage Thu 13-Sep-18 01:04:33

I never throw anything out unless it is torn, stained or worn out! and even then it is sometimes kept as 'working clothes' for in the garden or doing messy things around the house. I don't have winter and summer clothes either as I just layer up when it gets cold! I'm in my 70s and having lost weight in the last couple of years, I am wearing things that I had in my 20s and 30s. My taste in clothing has always tended to be 'classic' so lots of stuff doesn't date. I usually add a few items to my wardrobe each year so it is rather big to say the least! As you might guess, I am a hoarder. I am trying to break this habit so hope to get round to sorting some clothes out this winter!

Tamayra Thu 13-Sep-18 01:55:27

I sold loads of clothes at the local market last month
Shoes & scarves too
People looked so happy buying them & I had some cash
It’s a lovely way to move clothes on all you need is a portable clothes rack & hangers
Voila !!!

Glamdram Thu 13-Sep-18 08:16:20

Cambia

What a shame you say you rarely dress up

MissAdventure Thu 13-Sep-18 08:25:30

I don't dress up, either.
I've never enjoyed it, so welcome the fact that I don't have to.

TerriBull Thu 13-Sep-18 09:21:32

I'm probably not alone in just wearing a small portion of my total wardrobe of clothes day to day. I do clearouts every so often and take items down to the local charity shop, but as with books, I'm always acquiring more. I've now requisitioned both the wardrobes in the spare bedrooms that housed my sons' clothes before they moved out. A friend of mine tells me "if you haven't worn it in the last six months get rid of it" but sometimes I go back to things that are quite old, as per another thread. However, I am definitely going to have a clear out before winter sets in.

FarNorth Thu 13-Sep-18 11:23:24

But at least we will get money for the rag
That's good to know, petra. I have always hoped that the completely unwanted clothes could still get some money for the charities.
Do you know what the rags are used for?

Tillybelle Thu 13-Sep-18 11:54:22

Cambia I love you! I too thought I was some kind of hoarder because of the masses of redundant clothes I had, some in very good condition. Being retired is such a different life from my working days, and for years I kept thinking I had to have something to wear in case I needed to look smart, such as going out. But it just did not happen. So I gritted my teeth and sent my smart jackets and work trousers to the Charity shops and kept my casual clothes that I live in today. I felt guilty, but that is our upbringing I think, we are supposed not to waste things. I just hope someone found them useful.
I also agree with Monica, I too am always somewhat amazed at how much people spend on clothes. Because I have not changed size much, I did have old clothes from years ago, but I got rid of them as I said above, when my life changed through retirement.

A foot note. My house currently is in a turmoil due to being messed around by a bad builder. I am waiting for a lot of work to be finished and floors to be taken up to mend joists underneath. Most of my things are in boxes. A man from a church charity came purportedly to help me out by taking some of my bags to Charity shops. I am disabled. The bags also had some of my late mother's clothes in, some new with labels on. He sneered at the bags and said "The shop can get money for rags." On seeing my building-site house,he decided straight away I was a hoarder. My things such as my plates (dinner service etc) are in boxes in the garage, because of the building/mending work. I am currently using picnic plates. Until the floors have been taken up and mended my boxes cannot be unpacked and my cupboards are not yet put up. Neither is any of the free standing furniture available for use in which all my things normally are stored. Hence the boxes. He told me - did not ask, just gave me orders - that he is ordering a skip for my things in the garage (my every day kitchen items including my mixer and all my china) and is emptying my front room and getting rid of some book cases!! He said he is bringing a retired Carpenter to mend the floor and the costs will be met by selling my bike and things in the garage. I have been given no choice or say in this!! He just gives orders. He is doing this as charity from his church. It is not a recognised national charity, just something he has invented!
Luckily I have found a way of keeping him out of my house. He is a cross between Mussolini and Captain Mainwaring on "Dad's Army".

Megs36 Thu 13-Sep-18 13:57:05

So many wealthy GNs!! I've got one wardrobe and no seasonal changeovers, where am I going wrong......

lemongrove Thu 13-Sep-18 14:24:42

I don't have too many clothes [who am I kidding?] blush
but I did have a shoe cupboard clear out the other day.
I have 24 pairs of shoes and 5 pairs of boots in there.
I managed to throw one pair out, and gave another 4 to a charity shop.I now need new ones to fill the gaps! grin
I blame MawBroon for getting me started in summer, on buying Skechers, now have 2 pairs and eyes on another.

M0nica Thu 13-Sep-18 14:56:20

Megs36, nothing to do with wealth, just got to do with being well organised and having better things to do with your time than shop.

FarNorth Thu 13-Sep-18 15:38:03

Tillybelle, that all sounds terrible. Definitely keep that man away from your house and belongings. He could be working some kind of scam and is not someone you want to know at all.

Megs36 Thu 13-Sep-18 23:40:26

Oh Monica is that it? Thought to have so many clothes that they needed clearing out meant lots of cash has been spent.
Thanks for putting me right

jocelyne Fri 14-Sep-18 20:21:14

Don't buy anything new until you have worn all your existing clothes !

Marydoll Fri 14-Sep-18 22:45:38

Oh dear, no new clothes for years! ?

Chewbacca Fri 14-Sep-18 22:52:24

Years Marydoll? Eons more like!grin

But think of it as doing your bit for the economy. Without those of us who love to buy new clothes, the fashion industry would suffer; high street shops would suffer (even more than they are currently) and furniture retailers wouldn't sell as many wardrobes and chests of drawers! In fact, you're all being very public spirited! wink