Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Gilet

(23 Posts)
kittylester Tue 11-Sep-18 12:26:47

Has anyone seen any nice gilets on their way round?

I'd like a padded one with a hood possibly with fur. I think maw bought one last year but can't remember from where.

I know we have a perennial should we/shouldn't we wear them but I would like one so if anyone can help I'd be grateful.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 11-Sep-18 12:41:49

Joules have lovely gilets, and I think Barbour and Boden have them on line also.

MawBroon Tue 11-Sep-18 12:43:19

Joules ( three over the last two years actually blush )
None had hoods though, but worth a look.

lemongrove Tue 11-Sep-18 14:16:39

They are certainly useful in the garden...DH used an old one of mine to cover a precious shrub when frost was predicted.grin
Never had a padded one, I would look like 'The Michelin Man'.

Eglantine21 Tue 11-Sep-18 14:20:14

I had a fleece one, that I have now abandoned because of environmental issues. And a down one that I now feel guilty about.

What are the Joules and Boden ones made of?

lemongrove Tue 11-Sep-18 14:23:56

pulp from sustainable Norweigan trees, hand woven by an indigenous tribe in the rain forest, and sewn together by magic pixies. Possibly.

Lona Tue 11-Sep-18 14:23:58

Monsoon do gilets too, I haven't seen this season's though hmm. I bought a really warm one last year, with a hood, from Tesco! It's great. The hood has a fake fur edge but it zips off, so looks better.

Eglantine21 Tue 11-Sep-18 14:25:12

lemongrove grin

Teetime Tue 11-Sep-18 14:51:15

Gilets? Only for the golf course for me - nice Glenmuir ones.

callgirl1 Tue 11-Sep-18 16:32:42

I haven`t looked this year, but Cotton Traders usually have some nice ones.

PamelaJ1 Tue 11-Sep-18 17:07:14

Bought one from Joules yesterday for my mum. It’s lovely but no fur or hood. I did see some that would have complied with your requirements but I saw so many I can’t remember where they were.
Eglantine I also can’t remember what it was made of and I’ve wrapped it now. I’ll try and remember to look on Thursday when she opens it but the info will probably be on line.
Do not rely on me, you may be disappointed ?.

DoraMarr Tue 11-Sep-18 18:48:50

Well, I can’t see the point of having a warm body and head but cold arms, but Uniqlo do gilets if you want one. They could be useful as a second layer under a coat, I suppose.

Iam64 Tue 11-Sep-18 18:59:30

lemongrove, where can I buy one of those Gilets please?

I have an elderly North Face black Gillet. It's wonderfully warm and ways nothing so great for travelling. It is however, stuffed with duck down. I will have to send it to the charity shop when I get the one recommended by lemon. I'm serious though, about never buying anything with duck down/feathers. I won't print how they're obtained but to coin a local phrase - think on!

Coolgran65 Tue 11-Sep-18 19:28:46

My friend loves gilets and looks very glamorous when wearing it. I look like I'm off to do some garden work. Yet we are both the same build.

I agree with DoraMarr that there seems no sense in warming up the body and leaving the arms out.

grannyactivist Tue 11-Sep-18 20:24:25

lemon - that brightened my day day. grin grin

mcem Tue 11-Sep-18 20:59:55

Saw some hooded gilets today in the Range but won't buy one as I'm another who doesn't understand the cold arms thing!

Beau Tue 11-Sep-18 21:18:09

Isn't it to do with keeping the core of your body warm? Anyway, it works for me - I have a lovely padded purple 'faux suede' type of one with a detachable hood with detachable fur. It's years old but was from Edinburgh Woolen Mills.

PECS Wed 12-Sep-18 08:53:34

I bought one that folds up into a bag..you have to squeeze it tight to get it to squash back in though. I tas useful on a travel holiday when going from warm to cooler places. I look like the Michelin woman too when I wear it so I keep it for autumn & spring early morning walks!

harrigran Wed 12-Sep-18 09:04:45

DH and I saw some in an M&S outlet the other day. He suggested I might like one to keep me warm under my coat. I would be ecstatic if I could get anything, other than a silk blouse, under my coat ?

TwiceAsNice Wed 12-Sep-18 09:22:08

Mine is from Joules but actually bought in JL . I love wearing in the Autumn as really warm but not heavy and restricting. I don't find my arms get overly cold but like someone else said my "core" is lovely and warm. I wear it with a long sleeved top and sometimes a thin scarf. It doesn't have a hood or fur though I can't stand either

TwiceAsNice Wed 12-Sep-18 09:24:32

I bought one from M&S last year for my daughter they do them in lovely colours

JackyB Wed 12-Sep-18 11:27:20

Like DoraMarr, I don't "get" gilets either. I did buy one once and apart from keeping the wrong part of me warm, it has a stand-up, fur-edged collar which rubs my chin and jaw area and drives me mad!

toscalily Wed 12-Sep-18 12:01:31

I find them so useful, outdoors for walking when you don't want a thick coat just a bit of extra warmth, great for gardening with no sleeves to get in the way and get dirty. Indoors between seasons when you have not got the heating on but feel chilly. I have them in various materials & thickness from various shops. Think I had six at the last count. I can't abide thick junky jumpers so a gilet is my go to for layering either over a T Shirt or finer jumper in winter.