Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What would you do?

(13 Posts)
Fennel Thu 13-Sep-18 08:50:39

Thanks for the replies. I don't know why I got so worked up about this. Just took me by surprise.
If he finishes the job today I'll tell him that's it for the time being. Maybe ask for his phone number so that I can contact him if necessary.
And try to find someone else.

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Sep-18 20:33:32

and everyone's else's advice is good!

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Sep-18 20:33:18

grin
Thanks

#theinvisiblewoman

Bellanonna Wed 12-Sep-18 20:31:03

I’m usually invisible J

Bellanonna Wed 12-Sep-18 20:29:58

And x2 Judy’s ?

Bellanonna Wed 12-Sep-18 20:28:58

Jalima’s advice is good!!

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Sep-18 20:19:26

It's a good thing I've got used to GN and can just grin and turn it off

Melanieeastanglia Wed 12-Sep-18 20:18:06

Harrigran's advice is good. This gardener doesn't sound at all suitable. JudyJudy12 has also given you good advice.

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Sep-18 20:15:35

Trying to eek out his pension I expect.
but that is not your responsibility smile

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Sep-18 20:14:52

Thank him very much for everything he has done and say that you are going to think about what to do over the winter months.

I would ask around for recommendations - often word of mouth is a good way to find someone good and reliable.

JudyJudy12 Wed 12-Sep-18 19:52:38

You could tell him that a family member would like to do the garden for you.

harrigran Wed 12-Sep-18 19:34:43

I think I would gently tell him that the plans you have for your garden would involve a lot of very heavy work and you couldn't possibly ask him to do it. Thank him profusely for the great start, pay him and say goodbye.

Fennel Wed 12-Sep-18 18:28:58

I think I've mentioned on here that we have a new little back garden. It's getting out of hand and we haven't the tools or the energy to deal with it.
This morning husband, who was busy, called me to speak to someone who was offering to do some gardening work.
I was so relieved to find some help I asked him to start. Then I began to realise he maybe wasn't capable. Pretty old and doddery, and all he had was a plastic bag with a couple of trowels and some secateurs in it.
I didn't want to send him away, so lent him some of our tools, but he ended up cutting his hand on a rose bush. Which I had to wash and disinfect etc. Paid him some of what we'd agreed and he says he's coming back tomorrow with his own strimmer (husband showed him his heavy one and he blanched ).
I think I've taken on a liability, he wants to return every 2 weeks. But he was such a feeble old fellow. Came on the bus from Windy Nook. Trying to eek out his pension I expect.
So what would you do?