Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Stressless chairs

(16 Posts)
kittylester Mon 17-Sep-18 06:37:11

We are thinking of buying one of these chairs but, before we invest, can I have some real opinions from gransnetters.

I think we might have had a previous thread but I can't find it.

NanKate Mon 17-Sep-18 07:00:43

Hi Kitty we bought two with matching footstools and have never regretted it, in fact I lay back in mine yesterday afternoon and had a very pleasant nap.

I would shop around as there are often offers we bought ours that way, A company called HSL sell them and others too. On offer we got ours at £850.00 each and they will last us out ?

Grannyknot Mon 17-Sep-18 07:05:12

Kitty the best way to search for something on GN is to use Google, type in what yoyre looking for but add Gransnet as well. Here's a link to a previous thread:

www.gransnet.com/forums/ask_a_gran/1234444-stressless-chairs-Are-they-worth-it

Grannyknot Mon 17-Sep-18 07:10:08

Just realised there are at least half a dozen similar previous threads ... smile - I just copied the first link.

FlexibleFriend Mon 17-Sep-18 09:58:45

Have a look for your local stockist on the ekornes site and try them out, their is a large range of styles available you need to find what suits you. I have a Large Magic with satelite base and footstool and I did also upgrade the leather I paid just under 2 grand for one which was the cheapest I could find it and I love it and wouldn't change a thing about it.

NanKate Mon 17-Sep-18 12:49:41

I forgot to say they come in small, medium and large. I have the medium which suits me fine, DH has the small as he is slim and the arm rests are just right for him.

When you are in the shop they will make sure that your head is in the right position for the headrest. Ours are a lovely dove grey. We had both made at the same time as they only had one in the shop in this colour. The salesman said it would be sensible to have them made together so that the colour of the leather was the same.

I know you only want one but I suspect you may like us be persuaded that you both have one.

kittylester Mon 17-Sep-18 13:39:28

We don't have room for 2, Kate! Our playroom is not very big and I'm bagging the space that will be made by getting rid of the cross trainer!!!

kittylester Mon 17-Sep-18 13:40:21

I think I'm converted now though and grey sounds lovely!

Jane10 Mon 17-Sep-18 13:49:50

We flopped into them one day while shopping and decided there and then to get one each plus footstools. We went mad and got the sofa as well. As we were buying all of that we asked for discount for cash (cheque) and got a reduction. Its always worth asking.
Our ones are dark green leather with dark wood pedestals. I can honestly say that we are never comfier than in our stressless recliners. Get them with confidence - you really won't regret it!

Doodle Mon 17-Sep-18 13:50:15

Hi kitty. Here's my input if it's of any help.
We bought two stressless recliners with footstools in 1998. They were I think called Vegas or something like that and were burgandy red colour. Not the most expensive leather but the one below that (I think there are 4 different leather options). We had them for 18+ years and at the end of the 18 years they were still usable. The padding on DHs chair had flattened down a bit (but he has spent a considerable amount of time sitting in it ?) and the leather on the arms had worn a little but the sturdiness and stability of the recliner was still fine. To be honest they would have lasted longer only we were decorating our lounge and wanted to change the colour of the chairs to something that went better with our new decor (they went to a good home via the local housing association).
We replaced them last January with 2 new stressless chairs and a stressless sofa and so far, very happy with our purchase. I know they are expensive but if you have a bad back or can't sleep at night, it is wonderful to stretch out in one of these chairs or if you have a cough and can't lie down, we can easily spend the night sleeping in one.
Our current ones not only recline but swivel round and rock. I always wanted a rocking chair so am very happy with the slight rocking motion of my current one.
Whatever you buy, I hope it's something you are happy and comfortable with.

Lazigirl Mon 17-Sep-18 13:53:52

We have had two chairs with footstools for at least twenty years and despite daily use they are hardly worn. Very good value in relation to cost per use! I think the best quality leather wears best. When one of the small round stabilisers fell off the footstools they sent us a set free of charge. They are great if you have any back trouble but bear in mind you need space behind if you want to recline them.

CassieJ Mon 17-Sep-18 15:31:56

I have 2 stressless chairs and matching stools. They swival and recline. They are around 25 years old. I love my chairs and they are well worth the money.
I paid around £900 each for them all those years ago, and they are still as good as new. There is no damage to the leather, it's as good as when they were first bought.

Auntieflo Mon 17-Sep-18 16:59:10

Kittylester, have you tried a brand called Himolla? When looking for new sofas, I tried one of these chairs and it was so comfortable. Expensive, but probably worth it.

OldMeg Mon 17-Sep-18 17:07:22

What’s a stressless chair?

Missfoodlove Mon 17-Sep-18 17:44:29

I used to sell Ekornes/Stressless. They are superb and definitely the market leader.
When trying out the chairs make sure you get the right size, the back support is outstanding but will not give you the best comfort if it is too big or small.
Make sure you are shown how to recline them fully and take your time trying them out.
The mid grade Leather was always the most popular when I sold them, you can also have a choice of wood finish.
It is money well spent you won’t regret the outlay.

lovingit Mon 17-Sep-18 18:52:31

wonderful chairs although my footstool needs fixing again and its only 18 months old!!