Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Suspicious email?

(16 Posts)
Sheis1948 Wed 03-Oct-18 20:01:21

Depends on the link being sent. But the one you receive looks like a scam.

PamelaJ1 Sat 22-Sep-18 17:37:32

Contact BT online via your BT account, if your account is online. They will probably ask you to send it to them.

lottagelady Sat 22-Sep-18 14:04:50

I have had LOADS of calls from 'BT' recently from American sounding Indians with names like Alan or Claire allegedly telling me that my internet will be off fro midnight and they needed just a few details to sort it out for me .... strange that - I don't use BT so I have 'em going for a few minutes, ooohing and ahhing and finishing their spiel, and then tell them rather impolitely to 'go away'!

JuneS Sat 22-Sep-18 13:47:13

A lot of these scams about. I had the same one supposedly from BT on the phone. I don't have BT so immediately put the phone down. Just click these e-mails off as whoever your provider is they should notify you by post of any changes.

Pippa000 Sat 22-Sep-18 10:04:27

As I mentioned on another thread I had an e-mail from 'my solicitor' with my name, the first line of the address of the house I am buying and the correct contact details of the solicitor, asking me to send the deposit. Luckily I was suspicious because the account number was not the one I had been given in the letter of Engagement. I have reported this to the solicitor, Action Fraud as well as changing all passwords and blocking any other e-mails and doing a thorougher malware and security scan, and alerting my bank.

Syd261 Sat 22-Sep-18 01:27:12

You are right to be suspicious - I have started getting ones purporting to be from Nat West saying that my statement is ready - the format / look of it is very very good - it even quoted the last 3 digits of my account number but something didnt ‘feel right’ so I hovered over the ‘from’ part and saw that it was an email that ‘looked’ like it was from Nat West but it was too long. I reported these emails to Nat West as I was really concerned they had part of my account number. If in doubt and you are an actual customer of the ‘business’ - like someone suggested - get their phone number from some paperwork you have that you know is genuine and tell them - they need to know.

lemongrove Fri 21-Sep-18 20:26:45

Anything that says something about acting now or services suspended is a scam.We are getting a lot of phone scams just at the moment.

lemongrove Fri 21-Sep-18 20:25:27

mimiro grin

Melanieeastanglia Fri 21-Sep-18 20:03:45

This sounds like a scam.

prestbury Fri 21-Sep-18 16:27:58

If you have a BT account, the majority of emails from BT should show part of your account number within the body of the mail (usually the last 4 digits), along with all or part of your BT ID.

mimiro Mon 17-Sep-18 19:18:58

if you hover over the"from"line it will show you exactly what address it came from.if you hover over the subject line it should show you the first lines of the message
no need to even open the message.
theres alot of phishing/malware/variations on the nigerian money scam out right now.
i get ones from the prime miniister of britiangrintelling me how i am owed 1.5 million in dollars from the government.
i even get one that says i sent it to myself................

BlueBelle Mon 17-Sep-18 19:16:12

Definitely a scam, why would BT suspend a customers service ?

Nandalot Mon 17-Sep-18 19:13:47

Thanks.

Nandalot Mon 17-Sep-18 19:13:29

I have.

Maybelle Mon 17-Sep-18 19:10:24

Sounds like a scam to me. If you have a BT account, you can phone them on a number you already have, not one on the email.
But I would just delete it.

Nandalot Mon 17-Sep-18 18:54:13

I am always a bit suspicious of emails which ask me to click on them. We have had one today purporting to be from BT. It is very convincing in that it follows the usual format of tariff information. Why I am suspicious is that it says if I don’t press the ‘Act now’ button our service will be temporarily suspended. That does not seem the sort of thing BT would or could do. Has anyone else has similar.?Anyway, I am not clicking!