Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandparents - what do you search for online?

(19 Posts)
goldengirl Thu 20-Sep-18 11:19:13

Ideas for presents and that's it!

Ah, just thought of another: childhood diseases if one of them comes out in spots!

henetha Thu 20-Sep-18 10:58:54

Ah, just read the question again and it's about grandchildren.
Well, I check for suitable birthday gifts etc.... And sometimes for symptoms of children's illnesses.

henetha Thu 20-Sep-18 10:56:24

I search for suitable gifts for family birthdays, and keep up to date with news and weather. Also check my bank, renew library books, find out what's on at the cinema, use Google translate as I have foreign friends, check for flights and holidays, look for online pen-pals, check maps and routes. - Loads of stuff really.

Izabella Thu 20-Sep-18 09:49:53

I don't usually. I use Google scholar mainly and normal Google for things such as online shopping. I renew library books online, lurk on gransnet, look at film reviews and the travel blogs of several friends when I am not travelling with them and that's about it really.

Teetime Thu 20-Sep-18 08:55:21

I dont my daughters do it and tell me what to buy - birthdays, Xmas etc. My daughters could shop for England so no effort needed from me at all.

Grammaretto Thu 20-Sep-18 08:54:32

I have looked up age related presents in case I get it horribly wrong.
And sizes.
Illnesses too. Our GC seem to get things I've never heard of before.
I found Gransnet while searching for an answer. Great site!

Flossieturner Thu 20-Sep-18 08:49:46

I have searched medical sites for illnesses that my Dil and GCs have . It helps me understand the problems and be supportive if required. I am very discrete about it, not sharing knowledge I have gained.

harrigran Thu 20-Sep-18 08:02:12

I search online for technology, toys and clothing mostly during the second half of the year. GC have birthdays in the last quarter of the year and seasonal gifts have to be sourced.
I think I have only once searched for an answer to a health query, despite being a trained nurse I had never come across molluscum contagiosum before.

OldMeg Thu 20-Sep-18 08:01:20

I’ve just been searching on line for music books for the grandchildren for two different instruments.

Beau Thu 20-Sep-18 07:17:35

No, I would not look up any of those things even though I look after DGS full time. I have occasionally bought toys for him online and sometimes might look up 'why he won't eat' or that type of thing but just for interest if I was bored - I would rather spend every possible minute interacting with him, which is probably why he is such good company and a little chatterbox compared to some others his age ?

cornergran Thu 20-Sep-18 07:10:55

Much the same as anyone else of whatever age and family role I suspect. My searches tend to be whatever is interesting me and day to o day information needs which may be related to children but usually are not.

Grannyknot Thu 20-Sep-18 07:00:37

I seldom search anything directly to do with being a granny. Just recently my grandson went through a patch of sleeping badly, so I chatted to the mums in my exercise group about it, and then came home and Googled "sleep nannies". In fact, I'm more inclined to ask someone in the first instance about most things. Or I might ask on GN.

My searches are mostly: book/film reviews, recipes, knitting patterns and YouTube instructions.

Joelise Wed 19-Sep-18 19:28:54

I have just googled how to do DGD's hair in a bun , DIL is away , DS is hopeless with doing the girls hair , and ballet lesson looms tomorrow, so granny has been asked to do it , fingers crossed I don't make a mess of it ! ?

Iam64 Wed 19-Sep-18 19:12:41

I have used google to check out and update myself on development stuff connected to my grandchildren. My daughters also use it for health, development and behaviour management issues. It's very helpful imo because it's so easy to find varied information that you can wade through to reach some kind of consensus about how best to help x with breastfeeding, potty training and so on, so all the family are following the same / very similar advice. when there can be or more sets of grandparents involved in helping out whilst parents work (or go out on a jolly) its helpful if we're all singing from the same song sheet.

kittylester Wed 19-Sep-18 18:50:29

My use of the Internet would be similar to Monica's.

I would be looking for specifics be it health, equipment, toys etc.

My daughters are the experts on their children and I would refer to them for information not Google!

Marydoll Wed 19-Sep-18 18:42:26

Yesterday I Googled, At what age can a child have soft boiled eggs? confused

I also research developmental milestones

JudyJudy12 Wed 19-Sep-18 18:20:03

Today I have been researching "clothes that teen boys wear" for birthday ideas and "parents guide to Instagram" which I saw mentioned on TV, as I do not know enough about it.

I always research latest tech before buying any for my grandson.

Nearer Christmas I shall be looking at top 10 gifts for teens.

M0nica Wed 19-Sep-18 18:09:00

I do not think I have ever researched anything specifically grandparent/grandchild orientated.

I searched quinsy's recently after DGS was diagnosed with it. Searched ebay for sewing machines(and bought one) because DGD would like one for Christmas, I do research presents, but usually know exactly what I am looking for.

Went online to check opening times and buy tickets for Longleat and, once we have agreed the Christmas visit dates, I will go online to buy our usual pantomime tickets. Apart from that, I cannot think of anything else, I do around grandparenting.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 19-Sep-18 17:24:28

We're looking to understand our users who are grandparents better, and wondered if you could give us an insight as to what you search for online when it comes to your grandchildren, or grandparenting in general?
Child development? Recommended products - like prams, books? How to keep them entertained? Where to take them? How much screen time is advised? Anything else?