Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Somewhere nice to stop halfway please?

(8 Posts)
Flaxseed Thu 27-Sep-18 16:52:57

Probably should be in ‘Travel’ but I’m guessing there’s more traffic on this thread (excuse the pun!)

We are travelling to Cornwall tomorrow via the M25 in Essex onto the M3

Can anyone suggest a nice place for lunch that isn’t too far off of the motorway,but in a pleasant setting around halfway-ish please??

Thanks

RachellaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 27-Sep-18 17:23:55

It sounds like a lovely trip. I don't have any suggestions but I'm sure some of our lovely Gransnetters will.

ChaosIncorporated Thu 27-Sep-18 17:31:49

I have never found anywhere decent on the M3/A303 sad until well south of Exeter....which would make for a very late lunch! All the nice towns are a fairly long detour.
Probably explains why Fleet services are always so busy.

You could try Avebury?

KatyK Thu 27-Sep-18 18:04:16

There is a website, something like 'whats half way' .com or .co.uk. May give you some ideas.

MawBroon Thu 27-Sep-18 18:24:54

Solstice Services near Amesbury? Not wonderful but there should be a choice of eateries - just watch out for Russians!

Eglantine21 Thu 27-Sep-18 18:48:13

I gues it depends on timing but you could try coming off on the A3. There is a little cafe and picnic spot immediately on your left with a walk in the woods or if you want to be posher RHS Wisley is a bit further. You will have to rejoin the A3 and hook back or take a couple of B roads to get back on the M25.

I guess Marlborough’s too much of a detour. They do very good cake!

BBbevan Thu 27-Sep-18 18:50:13

How about Cobbs. It is a farm shop with a great restaurant near Hungerford. Or is that out of your way?

Flaxseed Thu 27-Sep-18 19:14:47

I will look these all up as I am not familiar with that part of the country at all!
Thank you