Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mobility scooters

(7 Posts)
stree Sun 30-Sep-18 15:22:54

I suppose there must be someone on here that uses one, on my 4th now and have picked up some knowledge on the way, so happy to try and answer any questions anybody might have.
I couldn`t see an appropriate forum for such things, so thought I would mention it on this one.
Might as well make myself useful.

Anniebach Sun 30-Sep-18 19:05:23

Hi stree. I have recently bought a scooter , ny first one, had some problems and have support here.

I bought a canopy and regret it, looking through the front the hard plastic isn’t rigid so things seem a bit out of shape when I look through. I hate being zipped in it, I hate it. Do you use one ?

stree Sun 30-Sep-18 19:34:39

A canopy? Not something I would consider. I have a poncho affair for if I get caught in a shower, but not used it yet.
I tend to be a fair weather scooter user.
Actually the idea of keeping the user dry is fine, but often the scooter electonics are fairly close to the ground and the wheels tend to spray water upwards which can create problems, so I try to avoid long wet grass and puddles and so on.
Good to know that you have support on hand, which scooter did you get?

Anniebach Sun 30-Sep-18 20:29:43

I bought a Freerider Mayfair 4. Had no idea what to buy, couldn’t get to the showroom, so chose it because it had a high back and there was one left in blue. Then had problems with council on parking Fred (the scooter ) the csnopy keeps it dry, the electronic things are near the top.

Now I have to find someone to take the canopy off and then look for something to store it in, untill then Fred will have to come into the tiny hall. Winter will be here before i have sorted things out !

Charleygirl5 Sun 30-Sep-18 20:35:51

Galen uses a scooter but she is on a cruise at present. I am not sure what type she uses.

HootyMcOwlface Sun 30-Sep-18 20:48:41

If you have room in your garden Anniebach, there are plastic sheds you can get, a few different sizes are available. Ours is a full sized shed, next door have a small storage one, and I’m sure there are ones that fit a couple of wheelie bins which might be perfect for a scooter. We got ours from Argos, however it was about 6 years ago or maybe a bit more. It was fairly easy to assemble, although it is recommended 2 people do it, I did manage to unassembled it and reassembled it on my own when we moved house.

Anniebach Sun 30-Sep-18 20:53:05

Hooty, I have looked at plastic ones but they all seem to have a lid on top to be lifted, I have severe arthritis in my hands , have trouble lifting a kettle