Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ladybirds!

(14 Posts)
bikergran Thu 11-Oct-18 08:30:04

So..not the lovely pretty little creatures we think they are...!

Hatpev Thu 11-Oct-18 08:22:10

Bikergran. I have been bitten by a ladybird. Sore enough to make you look and see what was doing it.

Jalima1108 Wed 10-Oct-18 19:17:21

I had hadn't seen many at all this year, but one landed on DH when we were out today then flew away. I think it was a little British ladybird.

bikergran Wed 10-Oct-18 18:30:56

oh heck! my dad always kept saying Lady birds bite! but to be honest they look so cute little cretins I didn't believe him..shock

tessagee Wed 10-Oct-18 17:42:18

Just had to respond to this post. While sitting in sunshine earlier this afternoon having a read I started feeling a stinging pain in right boob. At length rushed inside and stripped off only to find a horrible large ladybird (don't know which nationality) attached to my boob. Brushed it off and it disappeared while I was having mild hysterics. I've dabbed the area with good old Germolene so hope I don't have any more reminders of this insect.

bikergran Wed 10-Oct-18 07:52:12

my dd had 100s crawling all over the porch yesterday in the house hiding in the letter box, they were all over...trouble is!! if we have to "dispose" of the foreign ones does this mean we have to check each one!! (do they mingle with each other) hmm

BlueBelle Wed 10-Oct-18 06:50:21

Callgirl like you I haven’t seen one ladybird this summer but people just a few miles away have mentioned thousands
Isn’t it strange how some places are overloaded and other not had any

Oh dear I wouldn’t find it easy to kill a ladybird

Nanabilly Wed 10-Oct-18 01:21:05

Last year we had thousands of them in our caravan windows and battery locker . They were the foreign ones which eat our own British ones . They have more than 5 spots per wing and stink to high heaven. They only way to get rid is to kill them we squash them in tissues or rather my husband does.

Grandma2213 Wed 10-Oct-18 01:10:55

I went for a walk in my local park today as it was such a beautiful day. Unfortunately I also walked through a 'swarm' of ladybirds. There were thousands of them, hundreds of which landed on my person!! After shaking them off further along the path I managed to get a couple of photos of what was left, tricky though it was as my camera was also covered in them.

I do believe they were the dreaded 'Harlequin' invaders. Despite my efforts I still managed to transport a few of them into my car and bring them home. Oh dear!! I have never experienced anything quite like this before. shock

Tartlet Wed 10-Oct-18 00:40:58

I’m afraid I’m heartless and use fly spray if I’m sure they are the unwanted foreign Harlequins. They invade my bedroom in particular in their dozens and try to over winter among the folds of my curtains. I’m moving up to a dozen a day at the moment.

callgirl1 Tue 09-Oct-18 23:32:16

Reading this has made me realise I haven`t seen a single ladybird this year. They, and butterflies, are the only insects I`m not scared of.

midgey Tue 09-Oct-18 21:50:54

Whoops, should check before posting. My garden and house is full of ladybirds of both kinds!

midgey Tue 09-Oct-18 21:48:48

Apparently if they are trying to hibernate in the house they are likely to be the ‘evil’ foreign ladybirds which eat our British ones! My house and garden is full of them and I can’t tell ‘tother from which’!

Diane58 Tue 09-Oct-18 21:25:44

Any advice on how to get rid of ladybirds? Had them hibernating in windowpanes before but today, because the sun came out, they were crawling all over the windows inside. What do we need to do to discourage them ( other than the very inhumane method of using the vacuum cleaner) or get rid of them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!