Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Cleaning

(98 Posts)
morethan2 Fri 19-Oct-18 15:19:45

I know in the scheme of things this is really trivial but how do you all manage cleaning. I don’t mean a quick dust and polish. I mean reorganise and cleaning cupboards, moving furniture, under beds that kind of stuff. I’ve spent the day cleaning kitchen cupboards, taking stuff out cleaning, throwing out( not too bad this time round I only found stuff from 2016, oh dear that might have been the last time I did that particular cupboardblush blush ) drying putting stuff back. Moving beds (oh the dust) blush packing summer stuff away replacing with winter clothes and bedding. I’m not even half way through and I’m exhausted. Trying to get up from the floor well, my poor knees , stretching up, pulling, pushing. I’m only 65 how will I manage 10 years from now because it’ll still need doing or will I just have to live in a tidy but dirty house. What’s worse it’s such a thankless task because no one really notices. I can’t afford a cleaner. It’s made me feel a bit miserable.

lemongrove Sat 27-Oct-18 19:25:40

It will go away steve if you get the polish and dusters out.
I like a clean and polished home so just get on with it.Some days, if busy or out enjoying myself I don’t do anything around the house, just catch up with things another day when at home, the beauty of being retired isn’t it?
Hoovering is done once a week ( it’s enough, no pets.)
Polishing ditto, bathrooms ditto and kitchen kept clean as I
go.All bedding changed weekly.That’s it really, as windows inside only done about every three months, done outside by window cleaner every six weeks.Laundry done when it needs doing, same with ironing.

stevej4491 Sat 27-Oct-18 18:52:59

Who cares about the cleaning? Lifes too short, I look at the dust and think mm that's dusty,and next week it's even dustier. Why worry ,it won't go away

Blinko Mon 22-Oct-18 12:49:31

should be '...some things'. Of course you knew that.

Blinko Mon 22-Oct-18 12:48:37

Same as PECS. Mine comes in on a Tuesday. She does somethings and I do others. Spring cleaning type of jobs get done as & when I feel in the mood.

Now is the time to change to a Winter duvet.... I'm gearing up to it.

Some people on here seem very organised about things.

PECS Mon 22-Oct-18 08:30:09

I never ever think about cleaning until something is really awful! DH much better at routine stuff..though does not execute it that well..e.g windows.
We do have a cleaner who does 3 hrs a week so everywhere obvious is dusted , vacuumed and cleaned on Friday! But those extras.. drawers, cupboards, picture rails & skirting, under sofas etc. I do those whwn not busy with other stuffwink

Jalima1108 Sun 21-Oct-18 23:07:17

grin

Our loft is boarded with pathways and with shelves M0nica….

Lilyflower Sun 21-Oct-18 23:00:56

I do a bit every day in the morning so I have the afternoons free to do as I please. I also use my house and garden work as my fitness regime. Hoovering and cutting the grass burn hundreds of calories. No subscription and the subsequent afterglow give a real buzz.

GabriellaG Sun 21-Oct-18 20:35:26

shockwinkgrin

Jalima1108 Sun 21-Oct-18 16:17:05

morethan just console yourself with the fact that it won't need another spring clean for a year or so, just a flick round with a duster and a quick vacuum. smile
And tackle a bit at a time.

I await the shock from other Gransnetters wink

M0nica Sun 21-Oct-18 15:56:09

morethan if you are a an ex-army wife you are doomed. I grew up in an army family. My mother was an expert at keeping family possessions to a minimum.

My parents then retired to a large bungalow with a large airy loft. When went to clear the bungalow after they died. We found that the loft was packed solid, wall to wall, but with walkways carefully laid out so that all the stuff was accessible - DF was in the Royal Logistics Corps and once a stores man, always a stores man!

Fennel Sun 21-Oct-18 12:13:48

If you've had builders etc there will still probably be dust in the air.
I would wait until it settles, then if you can afford it get a professional cleaning firm in . A one off.
I know what you mean about clutter. We have recently downsized and have slowly got rid of almost half of our belongings.
Books - I tried to donate them but sadly most went in the communal recycling bin.

morethan2 Sun 21-Oct-18 11:59:45

Thanks all, I’ll take on board some of your tips. My house is only small and I’ve had the builders in so I’m probably really fed up with their mess. The thing is because I’m cleaning up the dust they make I’ve found more dirt/dust than I’ve never noticed before, behind radiators, in every crevice and corner. It seems the more I do the more I’m finding. I’m trying my best to de clutter but I really struggle at throwing stuff out. So consequently I feel I spend lots of time moving one lot of stuff from one place then a few months later moving it back to were I originally moved it from. Don’t even talk to me about books. I could open a library. I haven’t always been like this. I’m an ex army wife so couldn’t haul lots of stuff around with us. I’m hoping that when the builders have gone I’ll get more organised. I also think part of the problem is when there’s a crisis I cope with the immediate problem really well. The after affects leave me with massive inertia. That’s when things pile up. I just sit about like a useless blob, numb with anxiety. Oh dear I sound a bit pathetic.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 21-Oct-18 08:35:07

I loathe cleaning with a passion and I find it easiest to do a little at a time - don't wear yourself out with a huge clean unless you're really brimming with energy.
Compromise a little - a bit of dust or clutter here and there probably won't hurt you. I'm not very fussy about housework and I'm still alive.

Synonymous Sun 21-Oct-18 02:53:16

morethan when I was no longer able to do stuff myself and had to get help to do everything I rapidly learnt 'the good enough philosophy' and deep breathing in order to relax. Nobody cleans like you do yourself and anyone who has learnt to relax doesn't actually care any more so the thing to do then is to start breathing deeply and learn to relax! grin
My dear, life is too short to spend so much of it doing cleaning so instead of that use it to work out how to minimize and do the bare minimum. Then get out and enjoy life while you can - working through your bucket list!

Patsy70 Sat 20-Oct-18 21:51:50

I am no slave to housework. Like to keep up to date with laundry/ironing. Keep kitchen, bathrooms clean, vacuum every other day and keep floors mopped (we have a dog & cat). When visitors are coming then I blitz!

Legs55 Sat 20-Oct-18 21:25:24

Blue45Sapphire my kind of girlgrin

I keep kitchen & bathroom clean, washing done when needed, ironing when I really have to regularlyblush

Dust- when you can write your name in itblush

Paid up member of Sluts Club, have been all my adult life, luckily DH was the same. As the plaque in my hallway says "Gardening forever, Housework whenever" Cat doesn't mind as long as he's fed & has a cosy place to sleepsmile

GabriellaG Sat 20-Oct-18 21:15:52

Jalima1108

I doubt it, he was with his wife and daughter.

Blue45Sapphire Sat 20-Oct-18 20:17:57

What housework? So long as I keep the bathroom and kitchen clean, do a bit of washing, keep the rooms tidy, change the bedding, I tend to whirl around like a mad thing when visitors are due. I am not going to be saying on my deathbed "I wish I'd cleaned and sorted my kitchen cupboards a bit more often." Life is for living.

Jalima1108 Sat 20-Oct-18 19:37:18

It was bought by a gentleman for afternoon tea tomorrow when his son and family visit.

I hope he doesn't pretend that he made it!

Jalima1108 Sat 20-Oct-18 19:36:15

Oh sorry!

Bijou (small and elegant)
One letter makes you sound bigger blush

Jalima1108 Sat 20-Oct-18 19:35:33

Well done Bigou!

White vinegar for windows and mirrors
Yes - we've found that it is the only thing that gets rid of smears on windows.
Our windows have been smeary despite everything we've tried, even the Karcher etc. until we used white vinegar last time.

Jobey68 Sat 20-Oct-18 18:57:15

Blimey I could have written this post today! Have spent the entire day cleaning and washing including emptying kitchen cupboards, I'm only 50 and have arthritic knees so find it really difficult as can't kneel down, have to bum shuffle! ?
Thankfully I have a fully fit builder husband who does normally do all the things I can't but today he was painting the hall so I got on with it myself ? I can't bare an untidy house ?
The cat bought a live mouse in last night which led to all the furniture being pulled out this morning in the search for it which led to major spring clean.... never did find the mouse!! ?
We talk of downsizing but I love my home which has been extended and improved by hubby and I'm not ready to leave it behind so I shall continue to spend my time working and chasing my tail trying to keep on top of it which with a Golden retriever and 4 cats is no mean feat, explains why I have 3 hoovers!! ??

Sielha Sat 20-Oct-18 18:37:08

I’m 10 years younger than you and I struggle with all the housework! I’m trying to convince my husband that we should downsize (big 4 bedroomed house and only the 2 of us) but he’s not budging for the moment. Would that be an option for you?

GabriellaG Sat 20-Oct-18 18:33:09

missdeke
gringringrin

willa45 Sat 20-Oct-18 17:59:39

Due to health issues and tired, achy joints, I just choose one room/area per week to 'detail' as needed. Some rooms don't need a lot of attention (ie. guest room), so it gets a detailing and fresh linens only when we have guests coming.

Our (big) house has become a lot of work as some things just can't be avoided. There's no way to get out of repetitive routines such as doing laundry, fixing meals, cleaning various rooms, kitchen and bathrooms and/or vacuuming.

He helps me with the household chores whenever he can which is often and I help him with the mail, keeping his closet/clothes organized, fixing his meals etc.. If we each had to do by ourselves, I don't think we could manage as well as we do.