Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

GS first sleepover - so excited!

(22 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 21-Oct-18 11:40:53

and that’s both of us!
My question is, for those of you with experience of this, how best to do things this evening? GS is 6y old and he hasn’t slept here since he was a baba so this is a whole exciting ‘first’ for him. We only have a small, one bedroomed apartment and DH is happy to sleep on the sofa bed tonight in the sitting room. I shall of course sleep with GS.
Do I make it totally GS centred (and fun) after his bath & a film and story by going to bed at the same time with him - ie just the 2 of us in the bedroom or is that silly and I should put him to bed and say goodnight, go to sleep I’ll be in bed later? Obviously we have no stairs and the bathroom is between the bedroom, off the hall, and the sitting room. What do all you other very lucky GN’s do?
I’d appreciate your comments.

Izabella Sun 21-Oct-18 11:47:53

I would think the same routine for bedtime as at home. You may be creating a rod for mums back if you retire at the same time.

annep Sun 21-Oct-18 11:51:11

Never done it unfortunately but I think I would read him a bedtime story - or two. Sing a sing? Does he do prayer? I would say I'll come to bed later. I think that's more normal. Unless of course he doesn't settle and you may want to stay until he's asleep. enjoy, you lucky grandma!?

Flossieturner Sun 21-Oct-18 11:52:37

I would put him to bed to sleep on his own. Although it is great to relax rules, I believe keeping to regular sleep patterns is important. Late nights can make them grumpy the next day.

Can I mention also, asking for his GP details. It is so unlikely that any emergency will arise but if he does need any treatment this is always asked for.

I have a GS with Asthma so for us it was a lesson learned the harder way.

MiniMoon Sun 21-Oct-18 11:58:36

I would give him the sofa bed in your living room. It will be like camping indoors to a six year old, and much more fun than sleeping with Grandma.
One of my DGS's lives sleeping on the sofa cushions laid out on the floor like a camp bed! We have a perfectly good spare bed in a very nice bedroom, but this is his choice.
Relax and have fun!

MiniMoon Sun 21-Oct-18 11:59:21

Loves, not lives!

ninathenana Sun 21-Oct-18 12:02:15

I wouldn't go to bed with him. I would make it as much the same as he's used to as possible.
Our 6 and 9 year olds are not interested in being read a story they would rather read to themselves. So it's bath, bed, 1/2 to read then lights out. That's just personal preference.

glammanana Sun 21-Oct-18 12:02:41

So exciting for you both,I would put him to bed on his own and just keep the bedroom door slightly open so he doesn't wake and wonder where he is apart from that enjoy having your little man for the night.

Jalima1108 Sun 21-Oct-18 12:09:27

A story (or two!) then leave him in bed on his own. You could leave the bathroom light on.

At least you will be there in the middle of the night if he does wake up - it's very disconcerting to wake up in the middle of the night from a deep sleep because you sense someone is peering into your face asking if you're awake!

Jalima1108 Sun 21-Oct-18 12:12:08

One of my DGS's lives sleeping on the sofa cushions laid out on the floor like a camp bed!
I set up a bed on the floor like this for one of ours, then found we didn't need it. She was obviously very disappointed at having to sleep in a bed so got the little mattress and spare bedding out of the wardrobe herself and slept on the floor anyway.

Iam64 Sun 21-Oct-18 12:13:08

If you don't want him to sleep on the sofa, buy a cheap camping bed, or inflatable and put it in your bedroom for next time he stays. This time, as Mini suggests, make some kind of camp bed out of cushions. That makes it even more exciting, to have a special bed at gran's house. I'd never set up a 6 year old to sleep with his gran, if only because I doubt he sleeps with his mother at home. Also follow the routine he has at home, when ours stay it's supper, bath, story and bed. It works and children really do benefit from routines.

Have a good time.

Jalima1108 Sun 21-Oct-18 12:55:50

Yes, I think a camp bed on the floor is the best idea too.
It makes it quite exciting.

Nanabilly Sun 21-Oct-18 13:06:32

I've had my eldest gs on one night sleepover every week since he was under one year old he is now 7.
At first the routine was as at home then as he got a wee older we introduced milk and biscuit and bedtime story for wind down time. Now , we sit in my bed and have storytime until he's sleepy and then he goes in his room to sleep.
He has a night light and if it's not we open his door a little.
I would not change it too much from routine at home but it's fun to introduce your own little ritual.

stella1949 Sun 21-Oct-18 13:11:26

I have a fold-up camping bed for mine - he thinks it's great ! I always have a routine of a long bath with plenty of toys, then a long story from Granddad who is very good at putting on funny voices . Then off to sleep with a little night light on in the room. I've never slept with my GC - I remember having to do that sometimes as a child and I hated it.

Have fun !

Urmstongran Sun 21-Oct-18 14:00:31

Oh thank you all you lovely ladies for taking the time to reply to me! Some really good suggestions here - I’m glad I asked you! Yes, sticking closely to his home routine and I’ve decided you’re right - ‘nanight’ from grandma and I will go to bed later but leave the door ajar peep so he can hear us. That said it’s such a little apartment and grandad has a deep voice it’d be hard for him not to ?
He’ll be here in an hour!
Thanks again everyone for posting.

annodomini Sun 21-Oct-18 14:22:26

My GSs had 'Readybeds' which are a combination of airbed and sleeping bag. These travelled with them from home so nobody had to make special provision for them. They loved them. I think they come in different sizes and are available on line from 'you know who'. I know it's too late for you now, Urmstongran, but could be a good tip for future occasions.

Jalima1108 Sun 21-Oct-18 16:42:39

Yes, the DGC have those.
We call them 'swags'.

BBbevan Sun 21-Oct-18 16:55:19

Do exactly as he would at home.
However my GDs had an extremely extended going to bed routine. This involved both parents for at least an hour. We have our DgDs often. . We got it down to just Bath, bed and story. Then we went downstairs. Sorted.

Lynne59 Sun 21-Oct-18 19:16:32

No, don't go to bed at the same time. When my GC stay (7yrs and 4yrs), we have dinner, they have a bath and get pyjamas on, then we watch a film and have snacks (popcorn, biscuits, cake), they brush their teeth, then the youngest goes to bed at about 8, 8.30 and I leave a small lamp on in the room.

The older girl goes to bed at 9....this is only on Saturdays, so no school the next day. I check on them at about 10, and again when I go to bed at 11.

We did all that last night, and the 4yr old was up at 4! I sent her back to bed, and they got up at 7 (a more acceptable time)

harrigran Sun 21-Oct-18 19:36:13

I always kept to GC's routine, put to bed and read story then lights out but with night light.
I have never slept with GC as they both have their own rooms here and have slept on their own since being born.

Jalima1108 Sun 21-Oct-18 19:37:13

I wouldn't go to bed at the same time either.

DGD2 would talk and talk and talk ….

Greyduster Mon 22-Oct-18 12:08:13

I would agree keep to the home routine, and don’t share their bedtime. We had GS for overnighters from the age of about two, when he slept in a travel cot with a deep mattress, in our room. When he grew out of that, he slept with me and DH slept in another room. I used bed guards so that he wouldn’t fall out of our bed. Small children never stay still in their sleep! They are like little windmills! Keep the wind-down to bedtime as calm as possible. If he is overstimulated, he won’t want to go to bed. We always read to GS at night at all ages, and even now, when he is eleven and reading Ray Bradbury, he often still asks to be read to!