Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Reliable handyman

(11 Posts)
BellaT2 Fri 26-Oct-18 17:58:40

First time posting, (though I’m an avid reader of AIBU!) and I hope I’m in the right place. Can anyone recommend a good all-round handyman in the Viewpark/ Uddingston/ Bellshill/ Bothwell area of Scotland(though I guess if you recognise the place names you’lol know they’re in Scotland....)

If this is the wrong forum, could someone direct me to the righ one?

Marydoll Fri 26-Oct-18 18:16:35

Sorry Bella, can't help.
However, nice to see another Scottish grannie, who is almost a neighbour!

BellaT2 Fri 26-Oct-18 18:29:51

Marydoll - it’ll be my sister that’s your neighbour - I’m an ex-pat, living down south!

Marydoll Fri 26-Oct-18 18:48:00

Hello anyway! grin

Auntieflo Fri 26-Oct-18 18:52:54

Have you got a Local Nextdoor on line site?
Very often you can get lots of recommendations for various tradesmen.

Charleygirl5 Fri 26-Oct-18 19:01:14

Auntiflo I agree- I have used that and I have also used my local Netmums. I type in Netmums and then my local town and it comes up with local services, anything from electrical work to grass cutting. Another source of help could be Age UK but I believe that they can take weeks to come to your house.

Marydoll Fri 26-Oct-18 19:05:46

If you Google "Local Heroes, Glasgow" , you may find someone.

M0nica Sat 27-Oct-18 07:54:09

Can you ask friends or neighbours? I live nowhere near you, but when we moved here 20 years ago we went to our parish magasine for details of local tradesmen. We reckoned that people living in the community, who we might see in the local shop or the pub, wouldn't want to risk doing a bad job because they would keep bumping into us afterwards.

Generally, that has worked well.

yggdrasil Sat 27-Oct-18 08:46:56

Here we have a Facebook group for the local area. Recommendations are often asked for, you can sell items as long as you aren't a business, ask about lost pets, or just chat

Scooter58 Sat 27-Oct-18 09:33:18

Hya ,I'm in Wishaw so close by,I use North Lanarkshire Councils care and repair scheme,if you are a homeowner this could maybe be useful x

BellaT2 Sat 27-Oct-18 10:10:23

Thank you all for very quick and helpful replies. I will follow up all suggestions. Xx