Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Cost of evening dress?

(74 Posts)
Abbeygran Sun 25-Nov-18 17:00:56

I’ve a dilemma- I need a formal evening dress. I’ve tried Marks, Next, Dorothy Perkins, that type of shop. I’ve looked in John Lewis, and whilst the dresses there are better, they cost a ton more. Around £200+! Am I out of touch with prices?

CanOnlyTry Wed 28-Nov-18 14:34:18

Not sure if you have one close to where you live but Boundary Mill is a fantastic place to pick up really nice/special evening wear at reasonable prices too! Otherwise agree that the web (eBay etc) is a really good place to try, I've had loads of gorgeous dresses from online shopping ... really easy to return these days if not right for you. smile

GabriellaG Wed 28-Nov-18 01:32:17

I don't put any pics of me or my AC, GC or GGC on social media, in fact the only social media I'm on is WhatsApp.
The world doesn't need to know every time I breathe, break-up or barf.
Should I get dressed up to show you my clothes? Lol. No. I don't take bait.

Lisagran Tue 27-Nov-18 15:23:19

How about a pic of you, GabriellaG, in your party gear?

GabriellaG Tue 27-Nov-18 15:11:52

If only the people buying the dresses, looked like the models. Having an imagination helps. wink

bunny17 Tue 27-Nov-18 12:58:46

Charity shops..great for that sort of thing

Kim19 Tue 27-Nov-18 10:00:12

HMcO that is an excellent site. Thank you so much for sharing.

Jaxie Tue 27-Nov-18 07:05:45

I needed a dress in thin cotton suitable for a wedding in a very hot climate; one that covered my knees and upper arms and that gave me a waist. I bought a Bombshell dress in a heritage Liberty print which was very cleverly designed. I am not curvy, busty or voluptuous; I don't like older women thrusting out their over- ripe bosoms ( " Put it away, Mrs.") as one of my sons would say. Anyway, I felt smart & dignified and received many compliments on the dress. Too many dresses make one look like a set of curtains but this one was a winner. So don't knock Bombshell - although some of their dresses look as if they are wearing the wearer.

GabriellaG Mon 26-Nov-18 23:33:16

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Terri823 Mon 26-Nov-18 21:32:44

Try Roman

oldbatty Mon 26-Nov-18 21:31:52

GabriellaG Sat 24-Nov-18 11:50:34
*mabon1
Google 'bombshell and you'll see that it's run by a woman named Katya. Dresses for women who want to hide their upper arms and tummy.
Frankly, IMO they're awful and the woman doing the most talking (with short blonde hair) looks dreadful in the clothes. Can see her knicker and bra lines in the blue dress and as for the mum and daughter...'nuff said. shockgrin*

oldbatty Mon 26-Nov-18 21:28:28

I hate deception.

oldbatty Mon 26-Nov-18 21:27:31

*GabriellaG Mon 26-Nov-18 19:55:16
Try BombshellHQ.
Especially good for the curvier ladies.
Pay with your credit card and take 55 days to pay. Not too bad.
Several laydeez on here have bought dresses from Bombshell and are highly pleased with the quality and fit. grin*

Sydney2012 Mon 26-Nov-18 21:27:19

We should set up an evening dress wardrobe and post them out to people who want to borrow them. I have to admit I am a hoarder and have a wardrobe full and evening wear doesn’t really date too much ?

oldbatty Mon 26-Nov-18 21:25:45

*GabriellaG Sat 24-Nov-18 15:57:23
If anyone can honestly say (without laughing) that the four women on the BombshellHQ video, look 'timeless and elegant' especially the two in lace and pink floral, they need locking up*

Theoddbird Mon 26-Nov-18 21:16:22

Always bought on eBay. Message the person selling to get actual measurements if they don't give them in the info on the item. I have bought some lovely dresses for very little in the past

GabriellaG Mon 26-Nov-18 20:05:30

Abbeygran
Here's a beaut. It has the WoW! factor in spades and comes in lots of sizes.
Good luck and have a great time.

GabriellaG Mon 26-Nov-18 19:55:16

Try BombshellHQ.
Especially good for the curvier ladies.
Pay with your credit card and take 55 days to pay. Not too bad.
Several laydeez on here have bought dresses from Bombshell and are highly pleased with the quality and fit. grin

HootyMcOwlface Mon 26-Nov-18 19:12:38

How about this at £21.50

www.highstreetoutlet.com/seconds-yessica-sea-green-sequinned-dress

Aepgirl Mon 26-Nov-18 18:41:49

A couple of years ago I was invited to an evening wedding in November where the dress code was formal evening dress. I couldn't believe how difficult it was to find something suitable. Everything was strappy or flimsy. I eventually found exactly the right dress from an independent shop that stocked dresses for winter cruises. It might be possible to do an Internet search for this sort of shop. Good luck!

Gaggi3 Mon 26-Nov-18 18:07:10

Oxfam on line has lots of dresses, vintage and others.

1974cookie Mon 26-Nov-18 18:05:02

Razzy said what I was about to say. Hiring is a great option especially if you want something really special for just one night.
I always used to hire my ballgowns as and when I needed them. Best of all, the hire shop that I used to visit did not duplicate them in other sizes so there was no chance that you would ever meet anyone in the same dress, as indeed I never did. I always felt like a million dollars, but at a fraction of the cost of owning something that for me would not see the light of day again.
Whatever you choose to do, have a truly fabulous time.

annemac101 Mon 26-Nov-18 18:01:33

Marisota online have lovely evening dresses.

maytime2 Mon 26-Nov-18 17:28:56

If you can hang on until after New Year's Eve you will have more bargains. I have bought from House of Fraser in the past and also Monsoon. I prefer to try before you buy which you cannot do on E. Bay.

jeapurs54 Mon 26-Nov-18 16:53:28

Sometimes Facebook offers a bargain, it's always worth looking there in your area.

Lindylou57 Mon 26-Nov-18 16:27:54

Go online and Google Hire Evening wear . Lots of names pop up and many do a wide range of sizes etc. You could get something really snazzy for a snip of a price.