Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Baby and parenting book

(13 Posts)
holidaynana Fri 30-Nov-18 18:03:17

Thank you for all the suggestions. I suppose I was just looking for a basic book as everything seems to have changed so much but as you say there is a lot of info on the internet. DD has been given a bottle making machine which blew my mind! I remember many evenings of making up bottles to go in the fridge for the following day (unfortunately I wasn’t able to breastfeed).

grandtanteJE65 Tue 27-Nov-18 17:10:36

Why not just tell her that she will always be very welcome to ask your advice. And add, as I always do, that I shall try very hard to remember not to give advice I haven't been ASKED FOR.

Congratulations on the new or expected arrival!

Wheniwasyourage Tue 27-Nov-18 14:15:53

I liked Penelope Leach's approach; if the baby is happy and you are happy, you are doing something right! She also explained how the baby might see things in a way that I found very helpful. She wasn't too prescriptive, which is fine as each baby is different.

NemosMum Tue 27-Nov-18 12:12:30

This is a common-sense practical book used by Health Visitors to advise parents. You can get it on Amazon new, or used for a very small sum. It's funny too!
New Toddler Taming: The world's bestselling parenting guide fully revised and updated31 May 2011
by Dr Christopher Green
Kindle Edition
£7.99
Paperback
£11.33

Sandigold Tue 27-Nov-18 11:32:34

If your daughter is finding it stressful and the child is very challenging, have a look at Calmer, Easier Happier Parenting by Noël Janis Norton. It's about creating boundaries, parents being in charge etc. Very good if there really is an issue.

Nannarose Tue 27-Nov-18 09:34:56

Another good on-line source:

ihv.org.uk/families/top-tips/

Anniebach Tue 27-Nov-18 09:02:45

When my elder daughter was born the midewife said ‘this baby can’t tell the time and hasn’t read the book’

I confess , I bought Dr.Spock

M0nica Tue 27-Nov-18 08:59:09

I never found parenting books much use and never bought one.

Nowadays I would think the internet would be the first place of call with any problems.

Nannarose Mon 26-Nov-18 13:52:32

NHS choices is easily accessible and up-to-date. I find most parents really like it.
The Dorling Kindersley books are beautifully laid out & can be nice to look through.
For reading, I really recommend the Understanding Your Child series from The Tavistock:
www.jkp.com/uk/series/the-tavistock-clinic-understanding-your-child.html

They run from 'your baby' up to 'your 18-20 year old'! They don't make hard and fast recommendations, but do exactly as the title says.

gillybob Mon 26-Nov-18 13:44:42

I’m not sure I would bother to be honest holidaynana there is so much free information available on the internet for young parents these days . My DD had her first ( and probably only) baby earlier this year and despite her reservations of not being a good mum she is excellent and trusts her own instincts on most things .

holidaynana Mon 26-Nov-18 12:17:22

Thank you newmom101, that’s very helpful. We bought a jokey book when she was first pregnant. I’ll maybe ask her if there is one she’s looking at. The Lullaby Trust sounds interesting, I will have a look.

Newmom101 Mon 26-Nov-18 08:40:24

The only parenting book I bought and liked is 'how to talk so little kids will listen', but it's more applicable at the toddler stage. There's so much information available on the NHS website now, and I found that some books contradicted what the NHS or lullaby trust advised.

It's really tricky to choose a baby book for someone else these days, unless you know their parenting 'style' quite well. There's so many, based on so many different approaches to breastfeeding, baby wearing, co-sleeping, weaning etc. All of the reading I did was from the NHS website, information the midwife gave me and information from the lullaby trust.

I would perhaps get a more 'jokey' one. There's 'Shakespeare's guide to parenting' if she's into reading. If she read the famous five books as a child then there's 'five go parenting'.

My sister bought me 'little miss busy surviving motherhood' for Christmas when when I was pregnant, as I liked the little Miss and mr men books.

If you have quite a jokey relationship with her you could get 'parenting for dummies', I got it DP for Christmas when I was pregnant, but then he needed it grin

There's so many 'parenting' books these days, it seems like any celebrity can decide they're a parenting expert and write a book.

holidaynana Mon 26-Nov-18 04:35:55

I want to get my daughter a parenting book and I’m guessing things have moved on from Miriam Stoppard! Any recommendations?