Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Would you hand over your mobile phone?

(24 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 29-Nov-18 14:25:09

The restaurant chain Frankie and Benny's is trialling a scheme where parents hand over their phones (and are rewarded with a free meal for their kids). They're doing this after their survey showed the extent to which phone use is damaging family life. What do we think?
Is this a good idea? Would you do it?

Or do phones fulfil so many uses these days (watch, map, calculator etc) that it would be impossible to put it aside for a few hours?

Over to you...

M0nica Thu 29-Nov-18 14:37:16

I have yet to eat with anyone, including DC and DGC where anyone was as rude as to have their phone on the table and using it, when eating with other people, at home or out.

Squiffy Thu 29-Nov-18 14:40:33

I agree with the idea of not using mobiles when sitting at the table to eat, but there is no way that I would be handing my phone over to a stranger! Even if it's locked, I still wouldn't feel comfortable handing it over. Switching it off would be fine though.

EllanVannin Thu 29-Nov-18 14:54:53

We managed without them so why not leave them at home ?
Nothing is that important that you have to have them welded to your person when you're out and about.

Grammaretto Thu 29-Nov-18 14:57:10

Can't they just ask you not to use your phones while in the restaurant like they do in cinemas. Thank God.

FlexibleFriend Thu 29-Nov-18 15:14:07

I rarely use my mobile but I wouldn't hand it over.

ayse Thu 29-Nov-18 15:20:38

I rarely use my phone and do leave it at home. I would not hand it over to anyone. It contains too much personal information.

Daddima Thu 29-Nov-18 16:09:10

As far as I understand, they have not banned phones, but are offering a free child’s meal to those who take part. You’ll keep your phone beside you, but in a lockable box.

TwiceAsNice Thu 29-Nov-18 16:12:37

I would do it if my phone want out of my sight but when eating out it remains in my bag anyway. I go out to restaurants to chat to the people Im with not to use my phone.

TwiceAsNice Thu 29-Nov-18 16:12:57

Wasn't not want sorry

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 29-Nov-18 16:13:06

Yes, Daddima is right. It's voluntary. I suppose the question is, do we need to be physically separated from our phones in order to pay attention to the people around us?

Charleygirl5 Thu 29-Nov-18 16:14:01

I would say something if any friend of mine used their phone or had it displayed on the table when we were about to dine.

I rarely use mine and it is usually switched off.

janeainsworth Thu 29-Nov-18 17:53:34

I’d like a link to some properly structured, well-documented research, as opposed to a survey done by a publicity-seeking restaurant-chain, that shows that the use of mobile phones ‘damages family life’.

We used to eat our evening meal in silence so that Dad could listen to the Six O’clock News on the Home Service.
Was that damaging family life? It made me aware of current affairs at an early age.
Later we got a telly and that was said to ‘damage family life’ too.

I get tired of technology and inanimate objects being blamed for human misery.
It’s like ‘killer roads’.
No, the roads don’t kill. It’s the people who don’t use them properly who kill.
Use your smartphone properly, and it won’t damage your family life.

maryeliza54 Thu 29-Nov-18 17:57:39

At the risk of sounding like an old grouch I really really hate seeing children in restaurants / cafes with an iPad/ mobile phone propped up in front of them on the table or their high chair. It’s all a matter of degree in general in the home but when eating out together? Give me strength

MissAdventure Thu 29-Nov-18 18:04:56

I'd hand mine over, but it wouldn't make any difference because I wouldn't dream of gazing at it if I were out with anyone.

Alima Thu 29-Nov-18 18:08:11

Only ever use mine to text very occasionally. Always think it could ring when I am speaking to someone face to face. Wouldn’t need to hand mine over.

Maggiemaybe Thu 29-Nov-18 19:02:06

For a free meal? Yes, of course I would. I wouldn't be using it during the meal anyway.

Though the only time we tried Frankie & Benny's, all the staff seemed to have walked out and so did we after 15 minutes with no sign of a waiter. There was a woman at the door who greeted us warmly and hoped we'd enjoyed our meal as we left. smile

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Nov-18 20:02:22

It would be a miracle if I remembered to take mine with me.

And if it was charged.

#showingmyage

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Nov-18 20:03:11

Maggiemaybe grin re your trip to Frankie and Benny's!

ninathenana Fri 30-Nov-18 05:06:28

I've always got my mobile with me. Especially when driving, incase of breakdown, that's the reason I got my first one. Back then it was just a basic phone.
I'm using my phone now, I don't have a laptop or tablet. I check my phone 3-4 times a day when I'm home but never when I'm dining, whether that's at home or out.
AC know not to use their phones at my table.
I don't understand those that walk along staring at their phones.
Serious question, why do people have a mobile if they leave it at home or don't even have it switched on confused

eazybee Fri 30-Nov-18 07:08:06

I need a strong light, reading glasses and both hands to use my phone, so I would not have it out during a meal anyway, even supposing it was charged and switched on.
That said, I went out for a birthday meal with friends all in their sixties, and at one stage seven out of the eight were reading their phones;(mine was back in the bedroom).

Sarahmob Fri 30-Nov-18 08:10:20

M0nica you are fortunate, I was at my DD on Monday and before I had finished eating my meal my S-I-L had taken out his phone and was checking it. I think it’s really rude but it’s his house and his rules. It frustrates me when my GS (aged 1) is trying to get his attention and his nose is stuck behind the screen.
My phone is usually lurking somewhere in my bag with the sound turned down. I’m well known for not answering it!

M0nica Sat 01-Dec-18 11:21:39

It occurred to me that a good ruse when you arrive at a table with lots of phones on it, is to take one's own out and just say, 'I am just going to put my phone on silent, while I am here, so that it doesn't ruin the occasion and hope that others follow suite.

Nanny27 Sat 01-Dec-18 11:37:22

All phones piled in the middle of the table. First one to pick up his /her phone pays for the whole meal.