Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Pain across back in the early hours of the morning.

(8 Posts)
EllanVannin Fri 30-Nov-18 13:34:58

That's good to hear Nanawind. My late SiL had a pain in her back ( 59 ) and was being treated for a muscular problem but as it turned out that muscle had been her heart. No chest pain or difficulty breathing,in fact none of the signs that would have indicated a heart attack. All her private doctor gave her were painkillers and she passed away in hospital on the night my H and I rang 999. It was horrendous when she could possibly have been saved.

Nanawind Fri 30-Nov-18 12:49:27

I've got an appointment 20th December. I don't think it's my heart as I had a ECG in October and I passed with flying colours. Bp is ok as well. I do think it feels like the pain is in my bones if that makes sense.

EllanVannin Fri 30-Nov-18 11:36:02

Being wakened by sudden back pain can indicate heart as we get older. Only by calling out for a paramedic will that be established. If not then it certainly isn't a wasted journey for them. Our resistance drops during the night and so do hearts in lots of cases. I wouldn't leave it to chance.

harrigran Fri 30-Nov-18 10:56:20

I would see GP but don't hold your breath for any answers, I went with the same symptoms and was told " to put it bluntly, you are old " and we " don't always have the answer because medicine is not an exact science "

midgey Fri 30-Nov-18 10:07:29

The pain below our knee could be muscular, I complained to my chiropractor and she was able to cure mine.

EllanVannin Fri 30-Nov-18 09:35:36

Always best to get a pain in that area checked out asap.

Auntieflo Fri 30-Nov-18 09:28:10

Nanwind I should make an appointment with your Dr and explain the symptoms, could be nothing, but on the other hand, you never know. Better safe than sorry

Nanawind Fri 30-Nov-18 08:48:38

For the last 2 weeks I have been waking up with a large ache on my back, this is just below where my bra band will be. This morning it was so bad I got up and took painkillers. Also I wake in the morning with a sharp pain just below my left knee.

Has anyone got any advice on helping me.