Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I’m sure I’m not imagining this

(15 Posts)
Disney001 Mon 24-Dec-18 21:49:22

We recently went on holiday with my son and DIL I saw them get very close over the week and felt a tad uneasy and wasn’t entirely sure why
They spent an evening together as I was sick
Since that day they’ve not spoken and my DH is different and distant from me
My DIL doesn’t come round anymore
Something is very different in there relationship and I don’t know how to approach this subject

phoenix Mon 24-Dec-18 21:55:24

Sorry, but I am tchconfused by this post, please can you explain Disney001?

tanith Mon 24-Dec-18 21:56:53

I’m confused?

Chewbacca Mon 24-Dec-18 22:00:15

I don't understand? Wht wouldn't DS and DIL "be close"? confused

Grannyben Mon 24-Dec-18 22:01:29

Are you saying that your husband spent the evening with your daughter in law and you feel that something went on between them?
Where was your son that evening, whilst you were ill?

Disney001 Mon 24-Dec-18 22:02:37

Sorry it’s a bit garbled isn’t it
My DH is very close to our Daughter in law
Almost to close
I’ve sensed it for a few years but thought I’m just imaging things really and well being silly
We recently went on a holiday together and I was sick one evening so my husband and DIL went out, since that night he’s changed and so has she
He’s so distant from me and acts odd, she walked in the patio half an hour ago to return something to me
He instantly went red and made and excuse to leave the room she was flustered and didn’t want to stay
She’s even cancelled Xmas dinner tomorrow although my son is still coming
Am I seeing things I don’t think so but he’s not a man who would tell me the truth if it’s likely to hurt me

MissAdventure Mon 24-Dec-18 22:45:22

Well, you could ask one or other of them straight out if something is going on.
It is Christmas eve though, so maybe not the best time, if there ever is one..

Or you could put your feelings to one side, either for now, or for good.

Elegran Mon 24-Dec-18 22:55:48

Simple. You just ask "Have you fallen out with XXXX over something?" and chances are you will find out that is exactly what happened, what it was about and why you shouldn't instantly assume a guilty secret.

If you don't ask, you won't know, will you?

But don't spoil everyone's Christmas with your suspicions.

BlueBelle Mon 24-Dec-18 23:23:17

Is there a clue in the posters name

grannyqueenie Mon 24-Dec-18 23:41:02

Hmmm.......

Buffybee Mon 24-Dec-18 23:52:22

Mmm! It does sound as though something has occurred between your husband and Dil but it could be anything.
Did your son go out with them on the evening you were ill? You say that Dil and Dh went out for the night and don't mention your son.
Maybe they had an argument and that has caused the tension between them and your husband with you.
I would ask your Dil, face to face, had there been a falling out between them on holiday, as you'd noticed some tension between them and watch her face for a reaction.
The other scenario, is that your Dh had made a fool of himself with her, in some way.
Unfortunately, I know two women, whose "silly old fools of a" Fil, has made a pass at them, both times after quite a lot of drinking.

sodapop Tue 25-Dec-18 15:45:41

I agree with Elegran ask them straight out after today is over.

Oldwoman70 Tue 25-Dec-18 17:10:56

There could be various scenarios to explain this:

Perhaps when they went out she got a bit tipsy and flirted with someone then begged him not to say anything. He now feels uncomfortable with her and she embarrassed when she sees him. His coolness towards you may be because he doesn't like hiding things from you but doesn't want to break his promise to her.

Alternatively it could be the other way around and he flirted with someone and she is the one in the awkward situation.

There is always the possibility he made a pass or made some inappropriate comment and they are both embarrassed by it.

Wait until after the new year then ask him what is going on.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 28-Dec-18 14:11:51

They may have had a difference of opinion about something with no sexual connotations - Brexit maybe?

I would ask DH straight out if he has fallen out with DIL. If he doesn't answer, ask her the same question.

lemongrove Fri 28-Dec-18 14:15:39

BlueBelle...my thoughts entirely.
Exasperating isn’t it?