Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Culinary advice needed.....urgently!

(14 Posts)
Katek Tue 25-Dec-18 10:57:52

DD1 is hosting Xmas lunch and has just text in mini panic. She cooked the bird yesterday for specified time until juices were running clear and then let it rest. She started to carve it this morning and it’s still a bit bloody by the breast bone. She’s put it back in oven for a further 45 minutes but is now concerned she’s going to give everyone food poisoning! I’m a veggie so not much help here......can any of you kitchen wizards reassure her (or not) ?! tchshock

MawBroon Tue 25-Dec-18 11:02:58

Maybe cut/carve away from that bit. I am sure the rest will be absolutely fine - you can cut the bloody bit off later and perhaps cook it a bit more in a casserole or something.
Just don't tell anybody.
Was there any Bacon or stuffing near that bit? Bacon can make things go pink (salts?)

Katek Tue 25-Dec-18 11:04:39

Thanks Maw..... will pass that on. Don’t know about bacon as haven’t seen the beastie yet. I’m sticking to mushroom Wellington!

Elegran Tue 25-Dec-18 11:11:34

The inside of poultry bones often looks red when they are perfectly well cooked, and if you have cut near the breastbone you may have scraped it.

Carve it in advance, keeping well away from the pink bit. and wrap the outer slices in foil to keep warm.

Carve the rest and put it into a microwaveable container with some moisture (gravy, juices, water, whatever) and cook it some more in the microwave. Throw out the carcass before anyone sees it ("keeping the kitchen tidy")

Serve up the well-cooked meat first and the microwaved remainder as last resort, or keep it for recooking as left-overs.

Fennel Tue 25-Dec-18 12:39:20

"The inside of poultry bones often looks red when they are perfectly well cooked, " Good point Elegran. Especially if it's a young turkey.
But as Maw says avoid the stuffing, if any.
I've had that problem in the past - long story.

Katek Wed 26-Dec-18 18:18:25

No ill effects from the bird I’m pleased to report, although dgd stuck to pigs in blankets as she has a horror of being sick!! Dh about to have his leftovers dinner - says it’s not Christmas without leftovers.

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Dec-18 18:35:19

I agree with the other posters, the turkey meat is often a bit pink near the bone even when well cooked.
Using a meat thermometer is a good idea.

I'm glad all were well.

EllanVannin Wed 26-Dec-18 18:45:20

I tend to cook birds to death to be on the safe side. It's never even pink near the bone.

Elegran Wed 26-Dec-18 19:22:26

Is it black, then Ellen grin

The reddish streak near the bone isn't in fact raw, it is there for a different reason. ""What does the redness near the bones of a cooked chicken mean?"" See www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/icooks/06-30-03.html for the explanation

Baggs Wed 26-Dec-18 19:29:29

Interesting thread. I'm trying to remember if I've ever cooked a turkey. Perhaps the year my mum asked me to cook the xmas dinner at her house. Don't remember a thing about it if I did.

Fennel Wed 26-Dec-18 19:35:48

Good link Elegran.
I learnt that the bones of young poultry can stay red even after thorough cooking from a Jewish Rabbi.
Jews can't eat meat (including poultry) with blood.

M0nica Thu 27-Dec-18 16:11:06

My turkey was so well cooked the legs fell off when I tried to put it on the serving dish yet, there was pink right against the bone. I just shrugged it off, we wouldn't be eating the leg at lunch time and I could microwave it later. Now I know and I needn't.

M0nica Thu 27-Dec-18 16:13:45

Just read the link above. Mine was a fresh turkey, but it obviously happens to them as well.

Jalima1108 Thu 27-Dec-18 16:37:58

Ours was a fresh turkey too and there was a little red colouration but definitely not blood.