Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sitting not sat!

(31 Posts)
Nannymags27 Wed 26-Dec-18 19:59:20

Whatever has happened to “ing” at the end of what I was always taught were “doing” words? It is annoying in the extreme how the word “sat” has crept into the language in entirely the wrong place ie: “she was sat on the chair” and “the fairy was sat on top of the tree”. The word is “sitting”! I can’t be the only one aggravated by this.

NfkDumpling Fri 28-Dec-18 21:36:11

Perhaps people who say conshume and ashume have been at the Baileys!

EllanVannin Fri 28-Dec-18 16:31:16

Sounds like a bit of Hylda Baker, " sat sitting here waiting ".
Nelly Pledge--Nearest and Dearest.

Grandma70s Fri 28-Dec-18 14:30:59

Sorry. I don’t know where ‘iistress’ came from.

Grandma70s Fri 28-Dec-18 14:28:46

In standard RP English, mischievous is pronounced something like ‘MISchiffus ‘, with iistress on first syllable.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 28-Dec-18 14:03:54

English has unfortunately for foreign learners a simple tense and a continuous tense.

Simple present I sit Continuous present I am sitting
Simple past I sat Continuous past I was sitting.

We use the continuous tenses much more than the simple ones, as in I am sitting writing this right now, or I am sitting at my desk. However, if we always do something, we usually use the simple tense. I always sit here, where the continuous tense is used of something we were doing or are doing as we speak: I was taking a bath when the phone rang.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 28-Dec-18 13:58:26

How else would you pronounce mischievous? I'm really struggling to understand, as the pronunciation you don't care for is how the word is pronounced in the west of Scotland too.

Grandma2213 Fri 28-Dec-18 04:55:10

Nannymags27 You are not alone. 'Sat' and 'stood' drive me crazy too. I have no objections when it is dialect or local usage but on Radio 4, BBC 2 etc where they should be speaking grammatically ..... NO! I constantly yell, 'sitting' and 'standing' at them even though I know they can't hear me!! angry For almost everything else I agree with absent.

absent Fri 28-Dec-18 04:43:00

Language constantly changes – the meaning of words, their pronunciation and the way they are used. It seems to me that if the meaning is clear, even if the expression is not according to contemporary grammar rules, then it is still okay. If new usage obscures the intended meaning, then it is wrong. I really don't think we want to go down the French rue of the Académie rules because English is such a rich and versatile language.

holdingontometeeth Thu 27-Dec-18 21:48:14

Just another example of the world degenerating into ratship.

lemongrove Thu 27-Dec-18 21:31:55

No, I definitely mussshht sit on a chair as the old legs are a bit shaky ......I will wait with baited breath whilst you pour me another , and please reign in your urge to have one yourself, that Baileys isshh mine all mine.grin

sodapop Thu 27-Dec-18 21:18:34

I agree with Grandma70. I read a lot and even in books 'reign' and 'rein' are confused also
'baited' and 'bated' . Where are the proof readers.

Grandma70s Thu 27-Dec-18 21:18:08

I think you ought to stand in the corner.

lemongrove Thu 27-Dec-18 21:14:03

May I sit whilst I have another one, hic!

lemongrove Thu 27-Dec-18 21:12:37

Actually......your’e right! tchgrin
Must lay off the Baileys.

Grandma70s Thu 27-Dec-18 21:05:56

No. Present tense is The cat sits/is sitting on the mat. The cat sat on the mat is past tense.

lemongrove Thu 27-Dec-18 20:40:52

The cat sat on the mat. (Present tense)
It’s all about tenses, the cat was sitting on the mat ( past )
The cat will be sitting on the mat ( future)

( if only cats confined themselves to mats!) ?

NfkDumpling Thu 27-Dec-18 17:51:49

Where are you Izabella? I often hear stood standing or sat sitting as in “She were sat sittin’ there all day”.

grannysue05 Thu 27-Dec-18 17:36:36

In DGS's class of eight year olds, they have weekly spelling tests which they have to chant out loud.
All the children have learnt to say Haitch instead of Aitch when spelling out a word containing that letter (H).
We have to quietly correct at home!

Deedaa Thu 27-Dec-18 16:52:26

One of my mother's favourite expressions was ”I was sat sitting there" (I think she got it from Al Read) and I often use it on purpose myself.

yggdrasil Thu 27-Dec-18 16:07:37

Nah, you are Welsh, they do things differently there smile

Nannymags27 Thu 27-Dec-18 14:02:04

yggdrasil: I’m in South Wales so I suppose I come under your banner of “Gloucestershire and other parts of the West” and I was never brought up with this mangling of the language nor, until recent times, heard the dreaded “sat” being used instead of “sitting” and “stood” in place of standing.

Grandma70s Thu 27-Dec-18 13:15:41

I cringe at all of those things, and more. One of my pet hates is “between you and I”, which is very frequently heard.

Craicon Thu 27-Dec-18 12:12:41

I cringe when I hear DS’s teacher say miss-cheev-ious.
It seems to be the way it’s commonly pronounced in Ireland so I quietly correct DS at home instead.
I heard DS’s friend (12yrs) mis-pronouncing another word recently and gently corrected him to then have him disagree with me because that’s the way his teacher pronounces it.
There have been other words pronounced differently and certainly quite a few American slang expressions creeping in, which I don’t really care for.
DS will have this teacher next year so I have a few months to work out how to deal with this situation. I certainly don’t want to get off on the wrong foot with the teacher, who is considered a very good teacher, by some parents.

yggdrasil Thu 27-Dec-18 11:49:06

Nannymags I don't know where you live but 'sat' is standard dialect in Gloucestershire and other parts of the West

oldbatty Thu 27-Dec-18 10:39:45

hid/hidden