Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Your hall

(117 Posts)
kittylester Thu 03-Jan-19 07:44:01

What is your hall like?

I'm itching to redo ours which is currently done in a very traditional way. It is not naturally very brightly lit, quite wide and currently contains a Georgian desk and chair, a chest of drawers and a grandfather clock.

123coco Thu 03-Jan-19 10:40:51

If you want true hall envy head over to Instagram or Pinterest. Both of these sites have inspired me and left me utterly lacking self confidence in my own interior design ability, in equal measure.

MiniMoon Thu 03-Jan-19 10:45:19

Our hall has a dark wood laminate floor. The stairs go up from the left as you enter from the door (which used to be the only door to the house). The under stairs is open with a radiator. We have a large oak desk and a grandfather clock, in a state of disrepair. DH wants to have it restored but we lack funds at present. The hall then turns left into a short corridor to the dining room. There we have a two drawer hall table with a mirror above. I won't post pictures because I am currently de-christmasing it. ?

grannyactivist Thu 03-Jan-19 10:48:56

My hall is linear and has a wide mirror above a small ancient wooden chest (that has currently got a white ring on it where a can of carpet cleaner was momentarily put down and leaked on it, grrr) - at the other end of the hall is a second full length mirror, a narrow bookcase and a side table that holds a lamp, phone and fresh flowers. It was last decorated twenty years ago when we moved in and I reckon it'll be okay for another twenty years as The Wonderful Man hasn't got the time to re-do it himself and he hates getting anybody in.

Jobey68 Thu 03-Jan-19 10:50:07

Mine is narrow with doors to the living room, snug/ Conservatory and kitchen off of it. We have a separate porch with a glass internal door to let a much light in as possible.
All painted white with oak floor and doors.
Had no banister for years to open it up but now have a little grandaughter and the need for stair gates so its been reinstated which closes it in a bit but needs must!

Kittlylester yours looks amazing!! smile smile

shysal Thu 03-Jan-19 10:58:09

I like your chandelier Kitty.
My hall is small and boring, with doors to the kitchen and living room and the stairs. Having been given some fancy all-year-round fairy lights for Christmas (sorry, repeating myself, already mentioned on 'taking a rest ' thread) I plan to do something with them and have ordered a floaty sari for the bannisters. Anyone artistic out there with any ideas? I can only think of swags with lights hanging amongst and between them. Living alone I can be as girly as I like but don't want it too tacky! I have gone a bit mad and extended the theme into the living room with embroidered cushions, crystals dangling here and there, silver filigree lights around dresser and also ordered a Mandala patterned throw for the cat-scratched sofa. Note to self - avoid overkill grin!

kittylester Thu 03-Jan-19 10:58:13

jane, the aim is to get rid of the paper and the border and have embossed paper under the dado rail with two different colours above and the dado.

We are also buying new flooring - current thinking is a floorboards look!

Urmstongran Thu 03-Jan-19 10:59:22

Mine is narrow. 5 doors off it in our small apartment. No windows, so a large mirror by the front door, White walls, a table to hold flowers, photos and a lamp. And as it’s a ‘passing through’ place, joke posters, a ‘Billy Bass’ on a wall, plus a huge laminated door size of the famous ‘Trainspotting’ mantra ‘Choose Life’. I shall have to put post it strips on it to hide the f**k words when our grandson is a few months older as he stops by it now to sound out some of the words .... ?

Nonnie Thu 03-Jan-19 11:01:28

Ours is quite light partly because the original (1938) oak flooring it light and the boards are very narrow. Some of our neighbours have built their porch into the house to make it bigger but, in so doing, have lost the walk-in cloaks cupboard. The staircase is round a corner so not really noticeable. We do have a couple of large mirrors on the wall and a dark oak cupboard but nothing else. Very interesting radiator which goes into a corner and then out along the next wall. Never seen one like it before.

As other have said we are trying to train the family to put their shoes and coats in the cupboard which they do in their own homes but not in ours! Think I might start just kicking off my shoes as I walk in their doors and drop my coat in the hall.

Brunette10 Thu 03-Jan-19 11:08:51

We stay in a bungalow and have 15 doors in our hall including the front door. We changed all our woodwork throughout the house 2 years ago as I felt especially our hall was quite dark. We changed to solid oak doors and skirtings everywhere. We papered the walls although there is not a lot of wall due to all the doors with a duck egg blue paper with a silver shimmer running through it. Carpet is an oatmeal colour. 1 x glass nest of tables along with a glass console table. No ceiling lighting in the main hall but have two wall lights with a ceiling light through in the bedroom area of the house. I am very happy with the outcome, changing the doors has made our hall much lighter, more modern and always looks fresh. We recently put on a new front door which is a composite grey inside as well as out. The grey really compliments the oak doors too. Good luck.

Theoddbird Thu 03-Jan-19 11:09:54

I live on a narrow boat....my 'hall' is the cratch area of boat that has a cover....It is filled with bags of wood and coal. Your halls all sound wonderful.

Gagagran Thu 03-Jan-19 11:10:54

Our hall, stairs and landing were decorated just before Christmas. The walls are Jasmine white silk with feature walls in English sage. Satinwood white paintwork. We have polished original floorboards and a sisal runner with black edgings on the stairs. I have a large mirror over the radiator and a light oak bench opposite, which is used for putting on/taking off shoes which are stored in the under stairs cloaks cupboard.

I have another mirror just round the slight L-shape, outside the loo door.

I love the colour scheme. It looks fresh and clean and even verging on chic (me, chic? Dream on Gaga)!

ninathenana Thu 03-Jan-19 11:11:10

Ours has a square area as you come in with a couple of pine book cases and a group of pictures on the wall opposite front door. Hall then turns right and runs along side the stairs, which have a built in cupboard under. Cream walls and maroon hall/stairs/landing carpet.

Grammaretto Thu 03-Jan-19 11:12:27

I'm definitely on the wrong thread and I've wandered into a parallel universe.
Your hall looks warm & welcoming
Kittlylester
Our hall is long and dark and cold. I think it would be perfect in Italy in summer where it would be nicely cool but in Scotland in winter it's icy.
There is a bike leaning against the waĺl which is starting to annoy me. The bike shed is too full.
The floor is gorgeous 19th century ceramic Minton tiles.
I use the back door and only open the front door to visitors who ring the bell.

Willow500 Thu 03-Jan-19 11:21:41

I have hall envy too. My hall at home is just a square with the living room door to the right and the stairs straight up - I can only have a very small table at the bottom which is round the corner on here. We had it decorated last year after 31 years of living with the same paper (emulsioned regularly I hasten to add). The decorator insisted plain walls were better so we let him strip it which has made a huge difference.

We also have another 'hall' between the house and garage which has the utility and cloakroom at the top of it - the two doors are side by side but we never use the entrance - we had it all tiled a couple of years ago.

I'd love a big hall where coats can be hung and shoes stored in a cupboard.

ninathenana Thu 03-Jan-19 11:21:48

Oooh, Minton tiles, if only.

minxie Thu 03-Jan-19 11:31:03

I love your hall. Maybe just a lighter paint to brighten it up

Pippa22 Thu 03-Jan-19 11:37:23

Your tall vase of flowers look very vulnerable. Wouldn’t last 5 minutes in my house Willow, let alone at the side of stairs ! Stairs are for leaping from arent they ? !

Willow10 Thu 03-Jan-19 11:49:37

Hall envy here too! My 'hall' is just big enough to open the front door. I have to stand on the bottom of the stairs to let anyone in!

glammanana Thu 03-Jan-19 11:52:40

My hall is small compared to most but I make the most of it by having it decorated in light colours and a large mirror over the radiator to reflect the light.

glammanana Thu 03-Jan-19 11:53:28

Woops my hallway has gone upside down hmm

Nanannotgrandma Thu 03-Jan-19 11:56:12

I am just having a porch built, I love those red floor tiles. Going to have them in mine

Brunette10 Thu 03-Jan-19 11:57:10

Standing on my head glammanana - looks good though smile

Nanannotgrandma Thu 03-Jan-19 11:57:47

Janeainsworth left your name off my red floor tile post ?

gillgran Thu 03-Jan-19 12:05:09

I have "hall-envy", our hall, stairs & landing badly need decorating. The main problem is that the wooden railings, (pine, I think, ) are still the original 1980's varnish & now look dated, & rather "orange"..!! We can not stretch to new railings, anyone think that they could be painted.? Ideas ? please.

aggie Thu 03-Jan-19 12:07:50

My Hall is long and dark unless I leave the light on . I got a cupboard for half way up to break it up , then a small table at the front door . Most people come round the back to the patio doors !