Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Stockpiling?

(89 Posts)
Riverwalk Sun 13-Jan-19 07:33:53

Yesterday the woman in front of me at Waitrose had a trolley filled with larder items - I jokingly mentioned Brexit and she replied yes she was preparing and very worried shock

She was mid-40s and looked normal!

In anticipation of Tuesday's vote, is anyone stocking-up?

BlueSapphire Sun 27-Jan-19 22:46:24

OMG just been lurking on the dark side and there is a thread called DH's Brexit Cupboard (sorry, don't know how to/can't do a link), but there are 32 pages of people saying how they are all stockpiling for Brexit. My goodness you folks, I thought, get a grip!

Mapleleaf Tue 15-Jan-19 10:08:03

I was referring to the initial post, by the way, not to anyone having problems with their freezer! ? I hope those problems are resolved quickly.

dragonfly46 Tue 15-Jan-19 08:40:15

Kitty hope you get your freezer sorted out soon. When it happened to me I distributed the stuff around the neighbours.

kittylester Tue 15-Jan-19 08:32:25

We tried to claim the contents on the insurance years ago and they needed photos of everything and the cost of replacement. It was mostly homemade so almost impossible to quantify. When I told my butcher he said I should have claimed it was full of fillet steak and he'd have given me a receipt!! I didn't but I was sorely tempted. I won't bother this time!

cornergran Mon 14-Jan-19 22:49:24

kitty try ao.com. Usually next day delivery. Speak severely to Mr Lester about door opening. When ours died a few years back the contents were replaced via our house insurance. At least we only had to pay for the freezer.

Mapleleaf Mon 14-Jan-19 22:39:49

It's all rather silly, isn't it?

kittylester Mon 14-Jan-19 08:44:22

Mine is in the garage monica but I have to watch DH as he keeps wanting to check how things are which would involve open the door and poking it!!

Currys delivery is 3 weeks according to the website. We have visitors today so can't do anything today. Hey ho!!

M0nica Mon 14-Jan-19 08:30:50

It is some time since that happened to me, but I seem to remember that Curry's were great about an emergency delivery of a new one.

I do not know where your freezer is kept, but mine have always been in the garage, so with really cold weather on the way, providing you do not open it you should be OK for 24 hours, maybe a bit longer.

Nannytopsy Mon 14-Jan-19 07:14:15

Kitty that is a nightmare! Our big chest freezer died when we were on our summer holiday a few years ago - that was horrible to come back to. We are trying to clear the backlog in our freezer, then I can make room to store useful things, instead of lots of fruit.

RosieLeah Mon 14-Jan-19 07:04:55

The only thing I'm stockpiling at the moment is hay! After the hot, dry summer we had last year, supplies of hay are dwindling and the price is sure to shoot up.Anyone with horses or rabbits should be doing the same.
As for Brexit, we won't starve. We shall have to start a 'buy British' campaign. One of the idiotic things about the EU was importing goods we are perfectly capable of producing ourselves. Yes, the prices might be higher, but at least we'll be supporting our own growers.

kittylester Mon 14-Jan-19 07:00:29

Slight panic here - my big freezer has died!! I have been doing lots of batch cooking (Not stockpiling) and it is full.

M0nica Mon 14-Jan-19 06:54:41

OK, I know it makes me a foodie Philistine, but all cooking oils taste the same to me. I never eat them on their own and, when I cook with them I cannot taste the flavour in the food. Mind you I use very small portions, perhaps a teaspoon or two.

Anyway I use rapeseed oil because it seems to be considered the best for cooking.

Jalima1108 Sun 13-Jan-19 23:40:35

Ah - but the original spirit for some British made gins comes from France

Nannytopsy Sun 13-Jan-19 23:38:25

Gin. So it is an English spirit - just don’t tell!

merlotgran Sun 13-Jan-19 23:13:49

If I stock up on wine I'll have to hide it or DHL will rub his hands in glee and get stuck in. wine

BlueSapphire Sun 13-Jan-19 22:53:43

I might stock up on wine....

Jalima1108 Sun 13-Jan-19 22:53:17

I tend to use Argan Oil before I shampoo my hair - a reasonably liberal amount. It seems to tame it down a bit.

BlueSapphire Sun 13-Jan-19 22:51:49

Mumsnet mums are stockpiling apparently.....

PECS Sun 13-Jan-19 22:08:43

Gosh..glad I just ordered 48 rolls of 'who gives a crap' loo rolls. If I ration the sheets used per loo visit I might be ok for a year grin

Maggiemaybe Sun 13-Jan-19 22:04:37

Could you use it on your hair, though?

hmm Good point, Jalima. I might be trying that tomorrow. If I have to wear my woolly hat all day, I’ll blame you. grin

GrandmaKT Sun 13-Jan-19 21:51:55

Surprised nobody has mentioned WINE yet! Have tried to stockpile, but end up drinking it! wine

newnanny Sun 13-Jan-19 21:38:15

I am not stockpiling. I have enough in freezers and cupboards to last us a month except for fresh milk and I even already have long life so I won't be buying more. However I will buy a new sack of puppy food and a couple of dozen tins just in case of supply issues in first couple of months of a no deal as my puppies have sensitive stomachs and do not like to change brand of puppy food.

SueDonim Sun 13-Jan-19 20:12:16

I use rapeseed oil sometimes, as it's grown just up the road from me. I also burn logs made from the residue, starting the fire with fire lighters also made from the residue. No air miles and few road miles!

Jalima1108 Sun 13-Jan-19 19:54:17

At the moment we’re using argan oil, from Morocco, on our salads. It has to be the food grade sort though, not the stuff you put on your hair and skin.
Could you use it on your hair, though? It could be cheaper than the one sold for hair!

Nonnie Sun 13-Jan-19 18:29:52

Umm Telly, don't think I've seen any coffee plantations in NL grin