Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help!!!

(17 Posts)
Jacquelinesdenturesadventures Mon 14-Jan-19 10:09:56

Hello, I have rheumatoid arthritis and am looking for somebody to help me get to the top shelf of my pantry!! I can’t reach and when I try it hurts... I will get my daughter to help when she visits but I need a new way to organise my food so that it doesn’t get stuck for a week... suggestions???

Anja Mon 14-Jan-19 10:17:18

Get someone to take down the top shelf and reinstate it as a new bottom shelf under the existing one.

MiniMoon Mon 14-Jan-19 10:19:06

I don't have RA, or a pantry, but I do have high kitchen cupboards, and can't reach the top shelves. I used to stand on a chair, but I now have osteoarthritis in my hip, and getting my foot in the chair is difficult.
I've been wondering about rearranging the entire kitchen cupboards, but can't see how it would work. I need all the shelves. DH is useful for getting things down for me, but he isn't always here.

dragonfly46 Mon 14-Jan-19 10:23:55

I would just put things on the top shelf that you seldom use and work downwards putting the daily stuff on the lower shelf.

PECS Mon 14-Jan-19 10:24:23

Buy some wheeled boxes and move top shelf items to the boxes which can slide under lowest shelf. Would that work?

Izabella Mon 14-Jan-19 10:28:07

It may seem a bit obvious but I would stop putting things on the top shelf maybe?

B9exchange Mon 14-Jan-19 10:30:55

I am short, and have to use a step stool to get into the top cupboards. One like this www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Discount-Portable-Folding-Anti-Slip/dp/B00QTJ997G/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=two+step+ladder&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1547461597&sr=8-5. It's rock steady, but see if your RA will let you use it.

Make sure you only keep things not needed often in on the top shelves, perhaps your daughter could organise this for you next time she comes?

Jacquelinesdenturesadventures Mon 14-Jan-19 10:43:34

Thankyou, lovely idea

kittylester Mon 14-Jan-19 10:56:01

We use 'grandma's hand which is one of those grabber things. It used to be used my mil when she had a stroke!

M0nica Tue 15-Jan-19 08:05:27

I use a long handled serrated serving spoon to move items to the front of the shelf where i can (just) reach them. You can use other kitchen utensils to do this grin

BlueBelle Tue 15-Jan-19 08:20:52

Are you a new poster Jacqueline is this your first post? do introduce yourself ( are you related to Holdingontomyteeth)

annsixty Tue 15-Jan-19 08:46:33

Husband and wife?
Father and daughter?
Perhaps he could help with the pantry dilemma.
How lovely though to have a pantry.

Lily65 Tue 15-Jan-19 09:10:53

Maybe your would be vegan granddaughter could rearrange your shelves?

BlueBelle Tue 15-Jan-19 15:03:07

I m more interested to know what adventures your dentures have, than your pantry shelf Do they play up in their glass at night

shysal Tue 15-Jan-19 15:43:31

I too have RA and a very small kitchen, so it is not a question of leaving the top shelves bare. I use a 2 step ladder with extra tall handle. If this is a serious thread I would recommend something similar. It has a hook at the back of the handle for hanging a bag, useful for tools or spare light bulb etc. when fixing things around the house.

For supermarket shopping I carry a telescopic back scratcher in my bag, but it is strong enough for light items only, at the back of high shelves. otherwise I have to ask a helpful-looking tall person.

dragonfly46 Tue 15-Jan-19 16:10:59

Ha ha Shysal I am one of those helpful tall people. I am always being asked to get things down from the top shelf!

Grammaretto Tue 15-Jan-19 16:37:49

We host international volunteers. They are wonderful and a huge help BUT when I let them loose to cook or tidy up in the kitchen I can never find things afterwards . Then I look up and lo and behold there are my oven dishes, jugs, everything on the top shelf.
I even had to explain to a tall Spanish lad that he had put the bathroom cupboard up at his height not ours. Looking in the mirror I could see the top of my head.