Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Healthy eating

(13 Posts)
Izabella Tue 15-Jan-19 10:29:13

Dismissing the choice of a grandchild is hardly the basis for good family relationships. Yes it could be a fad but until the OP has a reasoned and informative discussion finding out the reasons for the decision, then things will not move on. It is far better to enter into veganism within a supportive and understanding family, than perhaps develop and excluding diet that could do harm. FarNorths link is extremely helpful to that end.

Respect for your grand daughter means you give consideration to her opinions and choices, without obstructing the process. It is very often situations like this where we all learn so much from each other providing we keep an open mind. It is surely one of the experiences of (grand)parenting.

You may never agree with your grand daughter but I feel confident that with the link provided upthread, time and compassion, things will improve. I am not vegan but have many friends who are. Cooking for them has enabled me to prepare delicious dishes enjoyed by us all, and has also stretched my own imagination.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

crystaltipps Tue 15-Jan-19 09:20:26

Lots of online info and recipes. Try Veganuary website for new vegans. No reason why a vegan diet can’t be healthy and good for animals and the planet if fewer of us eat animal products. It does require a bit of thought and reading labels ( why do they put milk powder in some crisps?) Chris Packham is trying a vegan diet this January and he has an interesting series of videos on Twitter and maybe YouTube about what he’s finding easy/ difficult.

M0nica Tue 15-Jan-19 07:57:46

Puzzled by the title of this thread. It is not about what a healthy diet is. It is about someone becoming a vegan

Vegan, vegetarian, or omnivore your diet can be healthy or it cannot be healthy. It isn't a question that one choice of eating regime is healthy and another isn't.

Gagagran Tue 15-Jan-19 07:51:14

I had this happen in my family, three years ago, when my DGD1 decided to go vegetarian. That was no problem - and DD accepted and catered for her with no problem at all. DD had done exactly the same thing at a similar age and I still had lots of vegetarian recipe books from that time, which I passed on to her.

Then, after a year of being vegetarian, DGD decided to go vegan, which did cause some concerns for DD and at first she was reluctant to go along with it but did so in the end.

It is now just part of all our lives . DGD has kept to her chosen dietary regime with no fuss and just accepts that we do not follow that regime but do accommodate her choices when catering. It works fine and she is a fit and healthy 17 year old now, at sixth form college, learning to drive and bringing joy into all our lives.

Good Luck OP - it will either fizzle out as a "fad" or will become the way she has chosen to live her life.

FarNorth Tue 15-Jan-19 07:04:48

Here you are :
www.vegansociety.com

BradfordLass72 Tue 15-Jan-19 01:50:09

A vegetarian (later vegan) friend once said to me.
'Some people are vegetarian for the health of animals; some are vegetarian for their own health.'

It's the same for vegans - you don't need to have a philosophical basis for it.

I was the latter for many years and often felt a bit guilty that I wasn't the former.

Lily65 Mon 14-Jan-19 15:16:27

Google it. Why does the mother need you as a go between? Does she struggle with literacy?

Franbern Mon 14-Jan-19 15:09:26

If your g.daughter is still living in her parents home, then the best suggestion is that she prepares her own meals and not expect her mother to have to do that, also her own food shopping. If she is living independently, then it really is her own business and no-one elses.

FlexibleFriend Mon 14-Jan-19 12:53:54

I don't understand how you think it's absurd when you don't understand it, now that's absurd.

EllanVannin Mon 14-Jan-19 12:13:41

Plenty of grains is the answer to being a strict vegan as these are the equivalent to having meat products but without the damaging fats.
There's no need for dairy products because soy would replace the need as soy plants are crushed to produce the milk and it's also a drink which contains protein.
Providing there will be enough proteins in a vegan diet then I see no problem.

Bridgeit Mon 14-Jan-19 11:39:52

Because they do not want to eat any thing or any part of an animal . Bi- products are the same as a joint in their opinion. ( That’s a joint of meat, Not the other type ?)

MissAdventure Mon 14-Jan-19 11:31:23

I'm sure you'll have lots of people ready to tell you why.. but if someone objects to the cruelty of slaughtering animals for us to eat, then some want absolutely no part of it.
Being vegetarian still does involve eating things which involve cruelty.
Dairy farming is considered one of the least humane industries, so I'm told, so people choose to not eat dairy products, for example.

Jacquelinesdenturesadventures Mon 14-Jan-19 11:23:47

My granddaughter wants to be a vegan and I think it’s absolutely obsurd!!! I understand vegetarians but why eat no animal produce... can somebody explain to help me understand so I can explain it to her mother also smile