Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Made up Senario .... What would you do.....?

(8 Posts)
Kateykrunch Wed 23-Jan-19 15:31:31

I was people watching whilst waiting for an appointment today and not really eavesdropping as they were quite vocal, I overheard this senario and it got me thinking......so for this exercise you are a married couple, both retired, own a property worth £400,000, have savings of £80,000 and have an annual income which you can live on with the odd dib into your savings, you know that if one or other of you needs care all your assetts would go in fees, you have adult children who although working hard, find it difficult to make ends meet and you would like to help them now rather than risk there being nowt left later......what to do?....

Nonnie Wed 23-Jan-19 15:41:19

If you dispose of your assets the local authority can check back for as many years as they like and still charge you fees.

PernillaVanilla Wed 23-Jan-19 15:49:21

These scenarios are often exaggerated. There are some older people who lose all their assets down to £23,500 in care fees but the average person who has care, either at home or in a care home, is with them for around 2 years, unless it is nursing care in a dementia unit the cost of the care can usually be met from income and savings in a case like the one OP has quoted. About a third of people don't need care at all.

Lily65 Wed 23-Jan-19 15:51:27

I wouldn't think twice about supporting my AC. I would think I have had a life and they are starting out. Of course I would be very firm about them not wasting money.

Nonnie Wed 23-Jan-19 16:02:19

You can pay for an awful lot of care in your own home for a lot less than in a care home.

Day6 Wed 23-Jan-19 16:17:14

I do understand where homeowners are coming from. Working very hard and going without and being prudent, over a lifetime means I have an asset in my home. I would like the fruits of my labour (I have very little if any disposable income) to go to my children who have also worked really hard since leaving school/University.

I inherited nothing from my parents or anyone else - just a work ethic. I hope OH and I die quietly in our beds from old age and won't need care later in life, but nobody knows how things will turn out, do they?

I have friends who have listed their children as owners of their home. They are still fit and able and did this about nine years ago, so their children would inherit their asset. They don't pay rent to their children either. I think it's a negotiation made 'under the radar'. They seem to think they have a foolproof way to pass on their property. OH and I asked our solicitor about it a few years ago when we bought a house together but she didn't advise it.

Jalima1108 Wed 23-Jan-19 16:21:30

I might want to spend that £80,000 gadding round the world!

luluaugust Wed 23-Jan-19 16:23:22

I'm not surprised IF for some reason they fell out with their AC the AC could sell the house from under them, with no rent book even worse I should think.