Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Forgotten clothing

(16 Posts)
Charleygirl5 Sun 27-Jan-19 11:12:17

A temporary cleaner left her coat here at the beginning of September 2018. I could not contact her- she rang me early December said she would pick up the coat in 2 days- DNA and no contact since.

I want to throw it out- it is old, thin and threadbare but I do not want to be accused of throwing out a designer coat bought for £300. Any ideas? Police do not want to know at lost property.

grannysue05 Sun 27-Jan-19 11:20:18

I think it is reasonable to assume that she is not too bothered about the coat.
Keep it for another month then donate it to the charity shop.
She really cannot assume that you will keep her property for ever.

Charleygirl5 Sun 27-Jan-19 11:32:25

grannysue- thanks for your reply but a charity shop would not take this coat to sell- it is only fit for the bin. I thought if I kept it for 6 months that was a reasonable length of time.

MiniMoon Sun 27-Jan-19 11:45:04

At my last place of work, anything left by visitors was kept for six months. After that time, if it hadn't been collected, we got rid of it either to charity shop, or bin. I think that if you keep the cost for six months, that is reasonable.

trisher Sun 27-Jan-19 12:29:59

How did you get this temporary cleaner?- through an agency? if so contact them, tell them you will hold it for another month and then dispose of it unless she collects it or they provide you with a place to leave it. I don't understand how you would let someone clean your house when you don't know anyting about them.

Charleygirl5 Sun 27-Jan-19 12:47:29

I cannot remember which agency or the girl's name.

It was not a name I plucked out of a newspaper- this girl was only filling in for my permanent one who was on holiday. The agency would have her details.

BlueBelle Sun 27-Jan-19 13:27:55

Charleygirl5 take some photos of the coat and the size label before doing what ever with it then if she claims it was a leopard skin designer coat you can show exactly what it was

Happiyogi Sun 27-Jan-19 15:53:00

Charleygirl5, if you do need to just get rid of the coat eventually, most charity shops will take clothing unsuitable for sale as they can sell it on by weight for "ragging".

It's frustrating that they don't advertise this, as lots of people send to landfill clothes that could be recycled this way!

Charleygirl5 Sun 27-Jan-19 16:15:01

Happiyogi thanks, I do know this but this item is not even remotely clean. The stuff I have taken to my local charity shop has been clean, even holey dusters.

Tartlet Sun 27-Jan-19 16:20:46

I’d bag it and put it in the garage (or somewhere else I could
forget it for a while) and then dispose of it into the bin after a year or so. I think it’s unlikely that the cleaner will ever come back for her old coat.

sodapop Sun 27-Jan-19 17:16:59

Charleygirl You are clearly looking for validation to throw out this item. Either do that or do as Tartlet suggests.

tiredoldwoman Sun 27-Jan-19 18:00:49

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Scribbles Sun 27-Jan-19 18:08:09

tiredoldwoman, I consider that comment completely unnecessary and rather unkind. I've reported it.

Grannynise Sun 27-Jan-19 18:26:20

After all this time I think I'd throw it in the bin as it's not in a fit state for the charity shop. In the unlikely event that she ever returns tell her it was completely devoured by clothes moths.

NanaandGrampy Sun 27-Jan-19 18:45:26

You don’t know anything about the OP tiredoldwoman ! perhaps you should find out about her before you jump to conclusions .

Charleygirl5 Sun 27-Jan-19 22:37:18

I missed the comment but thank you for reporting it.

I am going to put the coat in a carrier bag and pop it in my fabulously tidy and almost empty garden shed. It can rot there.

Thanks for all of the helpful comments, most appreciated.