Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I can't believe this....

(77 Posts)
Howjado Fri 01-Feb-19 16:46:00

A plumber has been here all afternoon servicing my boiler. He comes every year and he will be charging me in excess of £100. The backdoor has been open all this time, as he has a vacuum cleaner he uses, plugged into an extension, into my utility room. However I have just looked out of my landing window and noticed HE HAS HIS CAR ON CHARGE USING MY ELECTRICITY!!!!! Does anyone know if this is expensive?

Ramblingrose22 Sat 02-Feb-19 09:39:11

If your socket has an on-off switch I would simply have turned the switch to off.

He probably wouldn't have noticed and you could have kept an eye on it and repeated the action if he did!

SYLVIAPATTEN Sat 02-Feb-19 09:41:14

The boiler repairman is actually stealing your electricity! Whether you feel aggrieved enough to mention it is another question! But what a cheek!

GabriellaG54 Sat 02-Feb-19 09:43:57

ALL AFTERNOON servicing a boiler? ?? and using a vacuum cleaner?
What on earth for?

mischief Sat 02-Feb-19 09:45:44

Are you sure that's what he's doing and not running equipment he needs to do your service, off his car? It would be very embarrassing if you were wrong and went in 'all guns blazing'. My boiler man charges £50 for a full annual service, though he doesn't use a vacuum cleaner, and it takes about an hour.

Greciangirl Sat 02-Feb-19 09:52:06

I have recently had quotes for boiler servicing.

One was £65, another 70, so I think your chap is a wee bit expensive, Howjado. Also, a bit cheeky, assuming he can use your electricity without asking.

Gizmogranny Sat 02-Feb-19 09:58:18

I think he should have had the courtesy to ask. Makes you wonder if he hasn’t dragged the job out just so he had the time to charge his car ?
Last week I had two guys doing a job for me. They charged me just for labour. I purchased all the materials only to find that after they’d left they’d taken what was left of the materials. Cheeky sods.

Bobdoesit Sat 02-Feb-19 10:00:48

Thanks for the laugh maxdecatt you made my day wink

GabriellaG54 Sat 02-Feb-19 10:01:22

I live in a privately rented property and the boiler gets serviced every March without fail. The weird thing is that if it failed the day after the service, there is no comeback on the engineer as he can only vouch that on the day and at the time of servicing it, it was fully operational.
No guarantees that it works for the next 12 months.
Mine is a combi boiler which is 3 years old. Luckily, I have no expenses as regards the electrics or gas appliances nor leaky taps and I had a new American fridge/freezer and washing machine installed last October, courtesy of the landlord.

NannyG123 Sat 02-Feb-19 10:18:02

A whole afternoon seems very extreme, we have a lovely boiler man who has been coming to us for about 5 years, he is with us for about an hour, we always give him a cup of tea, and a biscuit. And everyone is happy. It also seems a real cheek to plug his car in without asking,I think next time he comes ask him if he's going to plug car in and perhaps suggest he charges you slightly less money.

Liz46 Sat 02-Feb-19 10:31:15

We have just paid £72 for our annual service. It is done by the local company who installed our combi boiler a few years ago.

Hellsbells63 Sat 02-Feb-19 10:34:04

Well this shows the benefits of having a smart meter- you could check ho much electricity he had used and deduct the sum from his bill!

sarahellenwhitney Sat 02-Feb-19 10:36:11

Howjadoo. Quote 'he comes every year' why him? What is special about this particular person ?Please don't tell me you provide him with tea and cakes as well !!!!!
He is taking you for granted hence the fact he is using YOUR electricity at YOUR expense to charge his car.
Haven't most of us at some time met these' characters'?. May I suggest you shop around for quotes and start now don't wait until the next service is due as I am sure this guy will do it again and at your expense as you had not previously challenged him on what he was doing.

Hollydoilly10 Sat 02-Feb-19 10:54:38

Why so expensive for the boiler??
I wouldn’t pay him for the service I hope you took pictures of the car charging

driverann Sat 02-Feb-19 10:59:03

A friend of mine earns a good living house sitting when the owners of houses are way on holiday. Last summer she was looking after a house in Dorset. A prebooked electrician arrived to service the alarms and cctvs. After an hour or so my friend went to ask if he would like a cup of tea and was shocked to find him swimming naked in the indoor swimming pool. I think a lot of tradesmen/persons are cheeky buggers.

antheacarol55 Sat 02-Feb-19 11:03:32

We have ours done every year and it is a full service with 12 months guarantee for £50 he is fully registered .
Boiler is now 12 yrs old
Think you need to find someone different .
Check your local council for trusted workmen

antheacarol55 Sat 02-Feb-19 11:05:27

All afternoon? Why that long ours is done in about a hour maybe a bit longer

H1954 Sat 02-Feb-19 11:07:50

What a nerve! The cheek of the man! I'd be furious too! Assuming you have already paid his bill I would be tempted to determine the very highest electricity unit cost, calculate the length of time he charged the car and calculate a cost based on the very highest consumption rate. Keep a note of this until you use him again and when he presents you with the next bill simply deduct that cost of charging the car on the previous occasion.
Alternately, if you haven't paid yet, calculate the cost in the same way and deduct it straight away. He should not be taking such liberities and not asking just adds insult to injury! Good luck.

CardiffJaguar Sat 02-Feb-19 11:21:53

Get a different plumber next time.

Bbbface Sat 02-Feb-19 11:39:25

*A friend of mine earns a good living house sitting when the owners of houses are way on holiday. Last summer she was looking after a house in Dorset. A prebooked electrician arrived to service the alarms and cctvs. After an hour or so my friend went to ask if he would like a cup of tea and was shocked to find him swimming naked in the indoor swimming pool. I think a lot of tradesmen/persons are cheeky buggers.*

Your friend is fibbing to you.

OP, you are not just being taken advantage of re charging of the car (unbelievable cheek!) but he is overcharging you for the service.
If you buy a home care package you get full annual boiler service included and I pay £11 a month! Unlimited emergency call outs and repair

Howjado Sat 02-Feb-19 12:50:33

Gizogranny, the plumber was not dragging the job out. He takes that amount of time every year. Besides it was absolutely freezing out in the old coal house where the boiler is; he did not want to be there longer than necessary. In fact it was so cold the instrument he uses to do the analytical analysis of emissions or something would not work, so he has got to come back next week. I told him I would pay him then.

driverann Sat 02-Feb-19 12:59:25

Bbbface
Oh you were there was you.?

Howjado Sat 02-Feb-19 13:02:06

Hollydoilly10, I did take a picture of the car charging. Why so expensive? The plumber who originally installed the boiler (he expectantly died a few months later) had never done a combi before and installed, unbeknown to me, a much higher spec of boiler than this semi detached house needed. Consequently I have to have a plumber who is trained in this model. I have tried other plumbers and they have never even seen this model before. So I do not want to fall out with my heating engineer, as I need him more than he needs me. Still angry with him though.

Howjado Sat 02-Feb-19 13:04:15

Should have read UNexpectantly died... in my last post.

Elrel Sat 02-Feb-19 13:39:13

Bbbface. Pictures or it didn't happen! Especially if hunkiness involved...

Davidhs Sat 02-Feb-19 14:47:04

Cheeky for not asking but the cost is small if it is a 13 amp plug. 3kw say 45p per hour - 3 hours. But still taking a liberty, how long a full charge takes depends on the car.