Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

So, how do you hang a violin?

(7 Posts)
wildswan16 Sat 09-Feb-19 16:43:30

You can google "how to hang a violin on the wall" - and get quite a lot of suggestions. Some of the fixings are more "attractive" than others.

phoenix Fri 08-Feb-19 21:36:44

Thank you for the responses.

Fountainpen I have actually seen that troupe l'oeil in the flesh, so to speak, and it is stunning!

Greyduster believe me, a bit of varnish and a few strings does not count as "going to all that trouble", especially as I'm getting one of the students to string it (5 minute job, apparent!y) grin

Learning to play it would be one hell of a lot more!

merlotgran Fri 08-Feb-19 21:32:25

Don't hang it on the wall, phoenix, learn to play it.

Oliver Sprout and Minnie could be the cat's chorus. grin

Elegran Fri 08-Feb-19 20:24:07

I think you can get specially designed hangers, phoenix Try Googling "How to hang up a violin" and see what appears. I bet there are dozens of retailers ready to sell you something.

FountainPen Fri 08-Feb-19 20:23:19

I immediately thought of the trompe l'oeil violin at Chatsworth. Google trompe l'oeil violin and look at images. Hanging violins feature in lots of paintings not just that one. It may give you inspiration. String and a hook seem the most popular way to hang them.

Greyduster Fri 08-Feb-19 20:15:58

After going to all that trouble to refurbish it, Phoenix, why not learn to play it? It’s never too late to learn to play an instrument!

phoenix Fri 08-Feb-19 20:13:12

Evening all, and good wishes.I

So, I have a violin that belonged to my grandfather. He was made to take lessons, hence the instrument!

To be honest, I have no idea how I have ended up with it, bearing in mind I'm in a second marriage, somehow ex(not so d)h must have included it in stuff he brought round confused

Aaanyway, the plan is to varnish it, string it, then put it and it's bow on the wall.

I know that you can get those sort of clip things, that are used in sheds for garden tools, but they seem a bit crass, somehow.

So, any suggestions?

PS I have a bit of history with instruments, at the age of 10 I found 2 cornets and a trombone put out for the binmen, and "rescued" them, even though I couldn't play them blush