Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Call Protect - what about important calls but Withheld No?

(11 Posts)
Kateykrunch Wed 13-Feb-19 11:38:54

So fed up of the BT scam telephone calls, 6 a day! I saw mention on here about Call Protect, but what about calls from GPs, Hospital Departments and even the Library, they all with-hold their numbers, is Call Protect tweekable to allow these calls, I am not sure I understand how. I have read all the BT and Plusnet info on line, but none of it addresses this, does anyone here know, would be grateful for your input, many thanks x

ninathenana Wed 13-Feb-19 11:56:50

Firstly why would a GP surgery or hospital dept with hold their number confused
The way ours works, if you haven't called and been approved previously you would need to state your name and I would be asked to accept your call and add you to my approved list so next time you get straight through. Any undesirables don't want to give a company or personal name, so they just hang up. I haven't had to refuse any calls since we've had this.

FlexibleFriend Wed 13-Feb-19 12:11:00

Well like the OP my hospital and GP with hold their number.

Beau Wed 13-Feb-19 12:11:42

Not sure but my SIL who is a hospital consultant won't have Call Protect for that very reason - I have it myself and have not been aware of any issues.

tanith Wed 13-Feb-19 12:16:52

Three family members are ex-directory (don’t ask me why?) and they come up as withheld so I can’t have call protect as I won’t get their calls. My GP and hospital withhold numbers too.

SueDonim Wed 13-Feb-19 13:52:58

Withheld numbers can get through to my BT Call Protect phone. They just need to announce themselves. As the recipient, the phone tells me there is a call from 'Dr John Smith' and I can choose to accept or deny the call.

Everyone seems familiar with this system, as when I've warned that I have a such a phone, no one seems phased by it any more I guess because so many people use Call Protect nowadays.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 13-Feb-19 16:33:52

The Health Centre I worked in always withheld their number, and also refused to leave a message. The point was that a call from your GP practice is private, and you might not want even your nearest and dearest knowing about it.

Bathsheba Wed 13-Feb-19 16:51:01

I have the same as you SueDonim. It works perfectly except for the numpty delivery driver who just announced himself as 'Brian' ?

NanaandGrampy Wed 13-Feb-19 16:57:30

Our call blocker requires a person to enter a number and then the call comes through to our phone.

The premise being that all the nuisance calls are made using an automated dialler to a pile of numbers each time and the call connects once someone at your end picks up. If the automated message kicks in there is no person at their end to follow instructions so the call fails.

As GPs etc don't use automated diallers this works perfectly .

Floradora9 Wed 13-Feb-19 20:57:01

I agree they just have to anounce their name and you accept it .We have that and it really gets rid of the dross .

Floradora9 Wed 13-Feb-19 20:58:14

Sorry "announce" spelling mistake wish you could alter a post.