Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Open Front Door?

(50 Posts)
Granny23 Thu 21-Feb-19 15:07:21

Well I've got the paint - EXTERIOR gloss Black - and new door furniture, etc. Just waiting for a mild dry day. BUT - for once I have read the blurb on the tin and it says that if painting a door, the door MUST be left open for 24 hours, otherwise it will stick!!

Our front door opens onto two steps, a metre long path and than a major trunk road. Also DH has advanced Dementia and wanders about, often half undressed, in the night. I have racked my brains but cannot come up with a plan.

Over to you clever Gransnatters. confused

starbird Fri 22-Feb-19 22:20:47

Wait for longer days. Even if you don’t paint sides the door will stick because the door will touch the frame.

Use a chain on door when you do it.

stevej4491 Fri 22-Feb-19 21:31:11

If you put the safety chain on and wedge something in the door overnight,that should do the trick.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Feb-19 20:52:24

Use quick drying paint on the edges - no-one is going to see those!

I hope you can open the door in the morning grin

Onestepbeyond Fri 22-Feb-19 20:06:53

Just paint it

fluttERBY123 Fri 22-Feb-19 19:18:55

I'm with bikergran. Get up at six and paint the edge of the door first, have brek, paint the rest of it, bed at eleven having shut the door - maybe up again at 6 in case it has indeed stuck - give it a good shove - voila!

Oh, jacq10 already said - great minds.

CardiffJaguar Fri 22-Feb-19 19:10:45

If you follow the advice to paint the edges separately then do paint the edges first and don't worry about being exactly on a line as the better paint will cover that easily. Then when ready to do the door face use masking tape to cover the edges already painted and to give you a clear line afterwards.

Annaram1 Fri 22-Feb-19 17:06:21

I have a couple of strong door wedges. Once in place the door cannot be opened further.
I painted my front door last year but waited for a nice hot day when it dried quickly.

gerry86 Fri 22-Feb-19 15:29:01

Pretend you hadn't read the label??

Saggi Fri 22-Feb-19 14:45:23

‘Does’ ...not dies...sorry.

Saggi Fri 22-Feb-19 14:44:47

How the hell do people EVER paint front doors then ....and everybody dies. It’s a lot of nonesense. You get ‘quick -drying’ paint! Even if you don’t , I have painted at least 6 outside doors over the years and have never left them open 24 hours!

grandtanteJE65 Fri 22-Feb-19 14:43:06

I don't think closing the door on a chain will work, as the hinge side of the door will be in contact with the frame, so unless you don't paint it at all, there will be a problem drying that side too.

I would take the paint back to the shop and exchange it for something that dries in the course of four to six hours, so you can lock up the house at night.

Unfortunately, even in the daytime you might well get thieves walking in, or hubby wandering off. Have you a friend who would come in for the day, so you are two responsible adults to keep an eye on unwanted visitors and hubby's whereabouts?

I wouldn't leave any of our doors open all night, unless we had a competent dog, which we don't right now.

sharon103 Fri 22-Feb-19 14:08:04

I agree with all that say to change the paint to a quick drying one or other than that wait for the hot weather to paint it.

Theoddbird Fri 22-Feb-19 13:15:04

I would take the paint back and buy a quick drying one...this is really the only solution.

Katekeeprunning Fri 22-Feb-19 12:48:30

Could you do a test spot on the edge of the door to see how long it really takes to dry?

GreenGran78 Fri 22-Feb-19 12:39:49

Some of these elaborate methods have raised a smile. I have painted my front door many times, over the years, without all that 'song and dance!'
Just return the paint, and buy something quick-drying. problem solved!
I wish the 'wandering husband' dilemma could be solved as easily. Life must be very difficult for you. Have you heard of the 'Dementia Buddy' tags? dementiabuddy.co.uk/guardian-angel.php

CyclingKnitter Fri 22-Feb-19 12:04:38

We had a new front door and the painters used a heat gun to dry the paint - it looked like one of those things you can use to blister paint, so you'd need to be careful and keep it some distance from the paint. Or you could try a hair dryer? No idea if that would work as well though.

Ulli58 Fri 22-Feb-19 11:32:44

I used exterior satinwood paint on my front door. Started painting around 9 am starting with the edges and door frame , second coat at 12 and all dry by late afternoon. I am advised that satinwood is also longer lasting than gloss, it's water-based and so brushes are easy to clean. While door was ajar drying I put an assortment of chairs in the hall behind the door.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 22-Feb-19 11:18:47

Granny23.Have you ever thought of changing your timber door to one that is hard to distinguish from the 'real thing' and never need painting.?
The market is wide with much choice so why subject yourself to this dilemma when there are long life items that nothing more than a good wash will restore themselves back to new.?

Hm999 Fri 22-Feb-19 10:56:44

My front door was painted last week and had to be left open for only a few hours to avoid the problems at the edge. Change your paint. Ask advice at shop.

Can you put a padlock on the gate?

harrigran Fri 22-Feb-19 10:55:07

I would consider what we have done before, take the door off it's hinges and paint it and allow to dry elsewhere. Means boarding up your front door for the duration of course.

HildaW Fri 22-Feb-19 10:50:59

Just like to say, this is such a lovely example of what Gransnet can do. Lots of good advise coupled with gentle emotional support, its lovely to read.

slbhill42 Fri 22-Feb-19 10:48:43

Buy different paint and return that one!
There are quick dry versions which only take ~6hours.

GabriellaG54 Fri 22-Feb-19 10:39:27

Have you sanded it down and put on the undercoat?
My advice, after doing the above on day one, is to start the top coat at 5am and leave door open until 1am. It should be ok to shut it then.
If poss, fix a chain guard before painting, then, when finished, prop door ajar from the reverse side while you get on with other stuff. At around 1am it should be ok to shut.
To keep door ajar but on the guard, tie string or cord to the inside latch and to the nearest indoor door handle.
It works. I've done it myself rather than pay £250 for someone to remove door and paint it.
Good luck.

chicken Fri 22-Feb-19 10:31:29

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works--(ducks behind the sofa ! )--I've always found that doors need two coats of paint. With just one coat, the underneath colour tends to "grin" through.

jacq10 Fri 22-Feb-19 09:17:28

I am in agreement with bikergran. I think they are just covering themselves. I would leave it till warmer weather and be up at the crack of dawn and I'm sure it would be dry by evening,