Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Car seat help plea

(19 Posts)
Rachelmj Sat 23-Feb-19 11:40:29

I wonder if anyone can help me.

After reading the Which Report, I bought two car seats - Nania Carsit Type F9 for groups 2&3 (secured just with the car seat belts) - for when my grandchildren visit. The headrests need raising but I can't for the life of me see how to do this. The instructions don't help at all and neither does the video I found online.

I bought them online months ago and no longer have the confirmations / receipts etc (silly I know ... ) I did fit them in the car when I first got them but didn't think to check the headrests. I know they have been thoroghly crash tested but I fear they may not survive my husband's rage if he has another go at them!

Which do recommend this car seat for grandparents so I wonder if anyone else has one and can help. I will attach a couple of pics.

Many thanks
Rachelmj

Luckygirl Sat 23-Feb-19 11:56:28

Look it up online - there is usually a video on Youtube for these sort of things. Good luck.

glammanana Sat 23-Feb-19 12:00:59

I would go to your local Halfords and ask their friendly staff to do the necessary for you they are so helpful,the only thing is your OH may object to someone else showing him how to do it you know how men are when are shown something.
Best of Luck.

stella1949 Sat 23-Feb-19 12:01:09

images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/B1FHeyoPJpS.pdf

The headrest adjustment instructions are on page 12

Rachelmj Sat 23-Feb-19 12:38:10

Many thanks for these lovely quick replies.

The only YouTube vids I can find just show a man adjusting the headrest from the front - doesn't help!! The back of my car seat doesn't have an obvious button / lever / wheel to press or turn.

The link that Stella1949 sent is brilliant, but the diagram shows a kind of wheel to turn which my seats don't have. I'm getting more perplexed.

Good idea to try Halfords. I've also always found the staff there really kind and helpful. The worst they'll do is say no. OH really doesn't care how we get this sorted!!!!

Granarchist Sat 23-Feb-19 13:12:03

the person who designed all child car seats should be made to fit them for the rest of their lifetime. This causes more bad language than anything in our household - they are HELL.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 23-Feb-19 13:23:36

Granarchist- totally agree ?

Marydoll Sat 23-Feb-19 13:32:33

Me too!
My DH spent days trying to fix my DGD's seat back into my car , after my daughter and her partner squeezed into my car, releasing one side to give them more room. The seat was totally jammed. angry
There is a fortune to be made here, designing the ideal car seat!

grumppa Sat 23-Feb-19 13:37:55

Don't get me started, especially about the all-purpose base that weighs a ton, folds in two but doesn't have a clip of any sort. and has no handle for carrying with one hand.

Granarchist Sat 23-Feb-19 14:54:46

not to mention the pushchairs that don't collapse and then have to be bunged in the back fully assembled - luckily i have an estate car.

Rachelmj Sat 23-Feb-19 16:19:06

Let's not get into travel cots either??

Maggiemaybe Sat 23-Feb-19 16:40:13

And the cots that convert (or rather, should convert) to junior beds....

Granarchist Sat 23-Feb-19 19:27:17

all of the above should be given to real parents/grandparents to test run. ALWAYS.

Caitlain Sat 23-Feb-19 23:16:11

I have one of these. You just kneel in the actual seat to weigh it down and then pull the headrest up, same principal to lower it.. Just push it down smile

ElaineI Sat 23-Feb-19 23:20:14

This made me laugh! I try to make plenty time and manage well and follow the instructions . DH thinks I can't do it, doesn't read instructions and does it wrong! Every week I take DGS1 swimming and DH insists on putting the car seat in my car. This week we had such a laugh as the seat belt would not fasten and we ended up starting from scratch without letting on to DH. DGS1 is 5 and also knows how to do it and finds it so funny that Papa gets it wrong! As for pushchairs folding - I have a Mazda 2 which is not the smallest small car but DGS2 pushchair takes up the front seat and DH has to sit in the back with the baby who loudly protests about car journeys!

DesignGuy Sun 24-Feb-19 08:50:11

Hi. I have read with interest this discussion about Child Car Seats and the difficulty of understanding how they work and are safely installed.
I have spent many years envolved in designing child car seats and these types of issues are of concern to the industry. It is a complex area and those in the industry and regulation bodies in which I am envolved, are working hard to improve things all the time.
In central Europe there is something called ADAC similar to Which. They carry out independent testing to rate car seats from good to bad and publish the results periodically.
Which use the test results from ADAC. These are made of 3 parts. Frontal crash performance, Side crash performance which are 25% each and Usability being 50% of the score. Through a complex formular ADAC arrive at a rating from 1 to 5. Top being 5. Manufacturers are all striving to reach 3 or more and often show it on the packaging or promotional material.
As developers we are often seeking members of the public to try out new designs for usability so if anyone would like to do so just let me know.
If you have any questions on this subject feel free to post. I will do my best to answer.
Cheers!

loopyloo Sun 24-Feb-19 09:00:58

Rachel, have you seen Caitlins reply? Does that work?

Rachelmj Sun 24-Feb-19 09:11:11

Morning All. Just seen Caitlin's reply - many thanks!! Have to go out for a bit now but will try it as soon as I get back and post results. ?

Rachelmj Sun 24-Feb-19 11:50:57

Geronimo ?????????
Thank you Caitlin!

We've had to take a heavy duty screwdriver to it to release a catch, then - hey presto - just as you said, raised the headrest. And managed not to break the whole thing. Or swear too obscenely. Or injure anyone when the sceprewdriver slipped.

Not exactly intuitive but mission accomplished.

Thank you to all those who have responded - some heart felt messages. Possibly Design Guy should be careful what he wishes for!!!!! Better instructions is all that was needed here.

Happy Sunday to all. The fog has lifted here and it's a lovely sunny day now, so all is well.
Rachelmj.