Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Baby Carriets

(10 Posts)
FlexibleFriend Wed 27-Feb-19 10:57:43

I've just bought this for my Son and Dil their choice as the choice is frankly overwhelming.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07937WXKD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?psc=1&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8

Magrithea Wed 27-Feb-19 10:17:31

A sling library is the best way to go - they will loan different types and help with using them. My DD used a soft stretchy fabric sling when DGC were small and graduated onto a more structured one as they grew older. I can't remember the name of the one she loved but she was able to carry DGS in it even when he was 4!

nettyandmasey Wed 27-Feb-19 10:11:42

One of my daughters is a sling user, She has several. As the others have suggested I would visit the sling library too

marpau Wed 27-Feb-19 10:10:43

Definitely contact local sling library and try a few before buying one

MuttiTai Wed 27-Feb-19 01:19:05

Farmir15 Thanks fit teply,

MuttiTai Wed 27-Feb-19 01:17:39

Thanks
Muffinthemoo Thsnkd for reply. Good idea.

SueDonim Tue 26-Feb-19 22:07:51

My daughter bought a carrier from Aldi, of all places. It was pretty much identical to the Babybjorn one but a lot cheaper, and she found it very comfortable until the baby was old enough to be in a back carrier. Aldi have their 'baby weeks' fairly often.

My daughter also had a sling in the Scottish Baby Box but she said it wasn't very practical and she didn't use it.

Farmor15 Tue 26-Feb-19 21:44:33

I used a sling quite a lot, but like you, realise that that there have been a lot of developments. Daughter and dil were both keen sling users, and from their experiences, it seems that some types are suited to small babies - particularly Moby wrap. That type would probably do for first few months, and I wouldn't suggest getting other one at this stage - it's better to to wait till baby is ready for bigger size before investigating the more expensive ones.

Like muffin, I would suggest looking at sling libraries. My daughter used one of these and was able to try a few slings with her baby for a few weeks before deciding to buy. Trying a few in a shop isn't the same.

muffinthemoo Tue 26-Feb-19 21:00:58

I have a shoddy lower back and I have an Ergo 360 which does have a pretty supportive waist band. Good padded shoulders as well.

Have you got a sling library or similar anywhere near you that would let you try some on for comfort and ease of fastening?

MuttiTai Tue 26-Feb-19 20:29:50

Hi,
I am soon about to be a first time granny. Both my daughter and I are keen to carry baby Moss. My daughter is going to be going it alone due to a breakdown in relationships so I am going to be a big part in their lives, especially in the very early days. My late husband and I were keen baby carriers 35 years ago and I am aware that the world of carriers has come a long way. Can I ask my cyber granny peers for any advice on types of slings and their advantages over other types. I have some physical limitations in that I have had both shoulder and spine ops. I know that I would prefer wide straps/material over shoulders and if possible some lower back support. Am I asking too much? Any help and or advice greatly appreciated. We have been given two Moby wraps. When my daughter was an infant I just used a pashmina shawl as a sling and when she grew a bit we used a Babybjorn.