Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Things you decided not to post but on reflection wished you had

(40 Posts)
boat Thu 14-Mar-19 16:45:23

Sometimes I start typing a response to a post and then decide not to go ahead, perhaps because things have already become heated and I don't want to start people screaming at each other.

Am I a coward? If I had continued would I have changed anything? Global Warming? Brexit? PIP Assessments?

Would Sociologists/Economists etc be looking back 20 years from now saying, "That was the pivotal moment"?

I doubt it for me but a lot of GNs have brilliant ideas. Give them an airing

Wobbles Wed 20-Mar-19 17:51:08

Hi boat thank you for your kind words. I raised my head above the parapet so no going back now.

Wobbles Tue 19-Mar-19 07:36:31

boat smile Thank you

NotSpaghetti Tue 19-Mar-19 06:48:22

I find it annoying if I decide to delete an already-typed post rather than add to a thread.
I've usually spent some time trying to get my words in order and am generally conscious that I "should" be doing something else (!). This means that I tend to see the deletion as a waste of time and effort.
If it's something I feel I have something personal to add, I might DM someone instead.

BradfordLass72 Tue 19-Mar-19 03:33:04

If my eyes are having a good day, I try to read all the comments before (if) I post and so often I feel everyone has said it all.

boat Tue 19-Mar-19 01:33:48

Dear Wobbles,

Please press the post button next time. If you are agreeing with me that's great; if you are saying something else you might make me think.

Garbango Sat 16-Mar-19 09:00:29

I have been like this and am still a bit nervous, but recently I've become much bolder, especially on Twitter. With Facebook I'll post controversial stuff on Groups, but not on my Homepage for fear of upsetting people I know.

Auntieflo Sat 16-Mar-19 08:58:58

For all the reasons that so many have already written. Especially where other posters put it so much more succinctly than I ever seem to be able to do.

Carolina55 Sat 16-Mar-19 08:49:03

I agree with the above posts and always feel that the more varied opinions I read the better understanding I have of things and I do try and contribute where I can with my own experiences if I think they might help someone.

Haven’t regretted posting anything (or not posting) but wish I was better able to express my thoughts as I wouldn’t want anyone to think I was being unkind in my posts.

I find the political threads riveting with some of the strong views on all sides but I rarely comment as I don’t understand the dyed in the wool mentality of staunch Labour/Tory etc. I almost envy people who have that belief and I liken it to a religious faith - it must be reassuring to have that certainty in life.

annep1 Fri 15-Mar-19 09:02:20

Sometimes if the topic is something I feel strongly about I don't post as I find it stressful. Although GN is teaching me to see other perspectives.
And I often don't comment as I can't think of the right words to express what I want to say. Some people are very good at expressing well thought out views on GN. which I enjoy reading. And think, Why can't I do that!

grannyticktock Fri 15-Mar-19 08:53:39

Gramaretto has a good point: it can be helpful to write down what you think you like to say, and read it back. Quite often I think, "Is that really how I feel?" or "Is that really something I want to share?" and delete it, but the act of writing it down and reviewing it has helped me clarify my thoughts.

Teetime Fri 15-Mar-19 08:40:28

I stick to the lighter posts and if I think I can help someone who is asking a question in my area of expertise. I stay off the politics as it often gets personal and aggressive. I have thought many times about leaving as Gransnet is not as much fun as it used to be but there are some nice people here and I have made some good friends at meet ups.

Wobbles Fri 15-Mar-19 08:33:55

I sometimes don't press the post button because I think nobody's interested in my thoughts.

boat Fri 15-Mar-19 03:24:35

rosecarmel

You totally got what I was trying to convey and I got your message.

I am too accepting of poor service from anyone from big companies to my local MP.

The one time I put up a big fight (when my energy company suddenly decided to charge me £2,000 for totally spurious reasons) I ended up caving in (I paid £265 because I was about to have major surgery and didn't want to leave a mess for my family if things went wrong).

Yes! You are right. In future I will be polite but firm and stand up for myself. Thankyou!

rosecarmel Fri 15-Mar-19 02:26:28

After rereading the original post, I see that I thought boat was encouraging others to "not" hit the delete button but share some ideas that we might otherwise be reluctant to sometimes .. so I did .. smile Not a pivotal moment history! But I put myself out there .. :D

ginny Fri 15-Mar-19 00:26:37

I often hold back from posting. Mainly because I know exactly what to say in my head but by the time it gets to my fingers it sounds all wrong

Grammaretto Thu 14-Mar-19 23:05:42

I agree Jalima that it can be therapeutic just to write it down. Then I preview it and often don't post. I don't think it's wasted if you have worked through an idea.
Then someone else writes just what you were thinking but clearly and succinct.

rosecarmel Thu 14-Mar-19 22:37:40

Bathsheba I'm glad you did decide to post- smile

My effort was to touch on some subjects that can sometimes cause one to pause prior to hitting the Post Message button- Or delete completely- Like injustice, politics, so forth-

Sometimes, I think, it's worth saving the message, setting it aside and then rewriting it if it needs to be toned down- Especially if it's truly a subject that is in need of attention and/or consideration-

It feels good to type something just to get it off my chest then hit delete- But as luck would have it, the subject presents itself again, providing me with yet another opportunity to share what I'm thinking .. smile

Jomarie Thu 14-Mar-19 22:26:14

In reply to the OP - all the time - too numerous to detail here. Discretion is a lost art for so many nowadays.

Bathsheba Thu 14-Mar-19 22:16:21

An interesting post rosecarmel and one I'm sure many of us can relate to. But I'm puzzled as to its relevance to this thread ?

And I nearly didn't post this....

rosecarmel Thu 14-Mar-19 21:56:42

When Netflix raised their price, yet again, I canceled- When Hulu charged my card after I had canceled, I sought a refund and received it- When Walmart refused to refund my credit card but issued a gift card instead, I stopped shopping at Walmart- In short, I no longer approach such situations passively, but instead take action and be persistent- No need to be mean, simply persistent- Amazon repeatedly delivered my parcels to a neighbor- I don't pay my neighbor to deliver the packages to me, I pay Amazon- I received gift cards for the inconvenience as well as refunds for the cost of my items- They now deliver the packages correctly- Facebook exploited its members by way of sharing their personal information, including personal conversations via messages and Messenger- Our environment is dying- We can work together to make changes that benefit every living thing, and do so peacefully- It's possible- But one needs to speak up and take action-

MissAdventure Thu 14-Mar-19 21:03:13

I'm sure I've written enough to oust myself, if anyone was that interested.
What worries me is that other people may recognise themselves or their family.
I would hate to write details of other peoples' lives where they might offend or upset.

grannyactivist Thu 14-Mar-19 20:57:49

I write and delete posts all the time. I often get things off my chest that are bothering me (usually about how people are being badly treated) and then realise I don't actually need to inflict my angst on others. I recently wrote one such post after a very frustrating day when I was really upset and I did post it - and lovely Gransnetters saw it for what it was and were very kindly in their responses. smile

jenpax Thu 14-Mar-19 20:23:56

I have held back if I thought that a response or post might make my situation or problem public. I am aware that posts appear on face book and Mumsnet so that several huge worries I have and for which it might have helped to gain others opinions, have not seen the light of day due to a fear of them becoming known to family or friends! I am sure I am not alone with this one

Nanabilly Thu 14-Mar-19 20:15:06

Often .mostly because my post could be misread in some way . I can't remember many examples as there are too many but one particular thread that's running at the moment that we are not sure is genuine or not is one where I could have replied but have avoided.

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Mar-19 19:55:33

Sometimes it can make you feel better to type out a post, even if you end up deleting it.

and, like aggie , I sometimes think, why did I post that?