Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Thinning hair

(41 Posts)
skate Tue 19-Mar-19 11:35:15

I am desperate to find a product that will make my very fine thin hair look fuller. I have tried them all and nothing seems to work. My hair is so bad now (my scalp is visible) that I have totally lost confidence when going out and have resorted to wearing a wig. It's a good solution and far more preferable to the expensive hair weave I had done a few years back but which was hideously uncomfortable. But I am so envious of ladies like me of similar age (74)who I see with heads full of abundant hair. Mine is like candyfloss. I suppose I am looking for a miracle but I wondered if anybody had a solution or could recommend a product.

Luckylegs Thu 21-Mar-19 20:13:00

This seems to crop up regularly and I’ve commented before. I’m on chemotherapy plus I have low thyroid count plus menopause I suppose so my hair has thinned a lot and is breaking off etc. I’ve got Nioxin 6 system for severely thinning hair and it does seem to be working. I’ve stopped having bleach in my hair, using any heat and had it cut in a blunt shorter cut. I don’t like it at all but it seems to be working!

Lazigirl Thu 21-Mar-19 18:25:00

Who wants green hair EllenV? But come to think of it, it has a certain attraction grin

EllanVannin Thu 21-Mar-19 14:14:47

Grass doesn't grow on a busy street !

Floradora9 Thu 21-Mar-19 11:36:57

www.boots.com/charles-worthington-thicker-and-fuller-shampoo-250ml-10196079

Three for the price of 2 in Boots far better price than Amazon for shampoo and conditioner.

lmm6 Wed 20-Mar-19 20:40:03

My DD has worked in a health food shop for 10 years. Products are expensive but once you’ve used them you’d never go back to the cheap High Street chains. For example the vitamins are highest quality and the shampoos, conditioners and hair dyes are as natural as possible. If you read the labels and then compare the ingredients to similar products on the High Street you will be horrified by all the chemicals they use. For hair, skin or in fact any part of the body try to stick to as natural products as you can. And yes stress does make the hair fall out and I’ve read it can take 3 months after stress has lifted for regrowth.

Trish9495 Wed 20-Mar-19 18:07:11

My hair has been getting increasingly sparse over the last few years.
I think it could be connected to some of the medication I now take, these include beta blockers, statins and a blood pressure tablet.

skate Wed 20-Mar-19 17:48:56

Thanks so much everyone for your various inputs. Lots of helpful things to try which I shall certainly follow up on. Both my mum and my grandma suffered from thin hair and it was the bane of their lives too so it must be hereditary. But I do have an underactive thyroid a d I suspect an iron deficiency because I get rather breathless going up stairs etc. Trying not to think about that one because I remember my poor Mum being breathless at the age I am now and eventually being diagnosed with myelodysplasia (horrible blood disease) which killed her. Going into dangerous territory here because the same disease killed my husband. Don't want to think about that either. Will look at iron therapy to see if that helps my hair and try the products mentioned. Meanwhile I am very grateful for my trusty wig - it does mean I never have a bad hair day! Meanwhile, thanks again for suggestions - very much appreciated.

Lazigirl Wed 20-Mar-19 17:32:40

My hair has always been fine and is getting thinner as I age. I guess general state of health and some medications are bound to affect the hair, but do not believe anything you actually put on the hair sadly makes that much difference. If a wonder shampoo was available not many would be bald after all. I think genes also play a part, my mother has thin hair. I would love to colour my dull hair, but fear that chemicals in dye may irritate the scalp, so I steer clear of them. Will just have to compensate for my hair with my sparkling personality, ha ha.

4allweknow Wed 20-Mar-19 16:55:49

I have fine, thin hair. Loss started with eyebrows.then noticed hair loss all round my hairline. Had a widow's peak and noticed that had disappeared. Hair loss eventually crept behind ears. GP referred me to dermatologist who diagnosed I had a specific form of alopecia a d started me on hydroxychlorine. First check up 8 months on a d loss has burnt itself out. Six months until next appointment to check if still the case. Hair line will not improve but medication may reduce. I haven't found a anything to thicken hair or reduce loss.

kwest Wed 20-Mar-19 16:30:49

My Hairdresser suggested a product called Nioxin about six years ago. It is cheaper to buy it in 1 litre bottles. I use Nioxin 4 shampoo for colour treated rapidly thinning hair and the matching scalp conditioner. It has made a difference. i also have a short hairstyle which I get cut every four weeks so it always looks tidy. My hair is healthy and shiny.

Onestepbeyond Wed 20-Mar-19 14:05:52

I am going to my hairdresser tomorrow and I am dreading it-cafe

Reason being I have had real hair extensions for Months and apart from the absolute cost and precise homecare I have really enjoyed them. smile

But tomorrow I have decided they are going to be removed and not be replaced with fresh hair.
I am scared of how my own hair will look how thin and fine and what damage if any has been done.

I will try the above suggested products^^ to remedy the issue if needs be.
cafe

MysticalUnicorn Wed 20-Mar-19 13:10:08

Have you had your thyroid function tested recently? A side effect of underachieve thyroid is hair loss. I have hair loss too for that reason. I tried the caffeine shampoos and they gave me unbelievably bad headaches, so do go easy on the shampoos if you decide to try them. Hope this helps.

knickas63 Wed 20-Mar-19 12:56:12

I have suffered this problem for years, and finally accepted that it was genetic. I have just had my first treatment of micropigmentation - which is basically shallow tattoos on the scalp. Looks like hair follicles. I will be having three in total. I will still try hair thickening shampoos, I am about to try Elvive Fibrology, which was recommeded to me, but the 'tattooing' will give me confidence, as is stops my shiny scalp from being so obvious. I have been using sprinkle on fibres, but they can be a bit itchy, you can't swim in them, and if you scratch your head they get under your nails. Good for a night out though as they are very effective.

Poppyred Wed 20-Mar-19 12:53:05

I love these Thinning Hair threads - new things to try out every time. ??

Ulli58 Wed 20-Mar-19 12:46:54

I too suffer from frontal fibrosing alopecia. I understand this type of hair loss is limited to the frontal area. I have lost several inches, so my thick fringe has gone (as have my eyebrows) but fortunately the rest of my hair is still ok. My hairdresser recommended (and eventually I agreed to it) a short cut and it does work as the short hairs cover my bald area and fortunately it suits me. However, I do miss my longer (shoulder length or above) hair . I have bought a "topper" from Perfect Fringe and it fits ok and is not bulky, however for various reasons I have not worn it yet. I have found Philip Kingsley's PK Prep Plumping Cream helpful for making my hair look and feel thicker. A small amount is distributed in towel dry hair before blow drying.

EllanVannin Wed 20-Mar-19 12:32:06

My hoover tells me the amount of hair I'm losing as although you can't see it on the carpets and chairs I have to stop now and again and untangle it from the hoovers roller.

GrannyIris5, I take blood thinners so I either risk a heart attack/stroke or going bald------what's the choice ?

ToadsMum Wed 20-Mar-19 11:50:08

Hi I have had few issues over the years, stress, then going on LighterLife and finally too stronger a hair dye causing breakage and loss. Regular shampooing (which I was avoiding thinking it was bringing more out) actually helped but then also a good conditioner. The best thing though was supplements - tried Vivital, supplements good, products awfully drying. Phyto hair supplements are brilliant but the best are Lamberts Florisene. You have to take them for at least a month before you see any benefit but they seem to strengthen and really give you healthy hair.

gillybob Wed 20-Mar-19 11:46:45

I’m sure I posted on this yesterday ???? Are there 2 identical threads ? I’m very confused

blondenana Wed 20-Mar-19 11:24:01

Daisyboots i am using Watermans at the moment it is lovely shampoo, but i didnt know they had a spray too, i will have a look on Amazon

* Ellenvanin* yes i believe stress has possibly played a part too,i have had a very stressful 2 years really, but only recently had the hair loss
I have not noticed any falling out though, just parting and crown showing scalp through, the rest of my hair is quite thick

Grannyguitar Wed 20-Mar-19 11:22:14

I have been using a cheap caffeine shampoo called JoBan, which was about £2.99 in Savers, and people have remarked that my hair seems to be thicker than before. Caffeine is supposed to stimulate the roots I think.

LadyO Wed 20-Mar-19 11:19:36

A while ago I had a bout of alopecia areata, most probably stress-related at the time; my GP was unable to offer any help at all so I tried some hair supplements I found in Boots - 'Nourkrin Woman.' The hair grew back in the bald patches and it has never reoccurred thankfully. However I do have some thinning at the temples, which doesn't really show with my layered hair unless it's very windy outside! I am almost 62 and realise my hair will never be as thick as it was when I was younger, but I can cope as long as I don't get the bald patches which I found very upsetting. I have no idea if these supplements did the trick or whether the hair would have grown back anyway, but I am continuing to take one supplement every morning as 'insurance'... they are quite expensive so I buy them when they are on offer at 3 for 2.

evianers Wed 20-Mar-19 11:15:19

Same problem. Many years ago whilst living in Switzerland a hairdresser there told me to eat Millet Flakes on a daily basis. This I have been doing for some 30 years. Not sure it actually makes very thin, fine hair any thicker, but it does no harm. Available from health food shops normally. Good luck - sympathise with you.

AlisonKF Wed 20-Mar-19 10:59:52

I have always had fine, straight, hair, but enough of it to look OK when permed. My knowledgeable hairdresser who has been coming to my home for over thirty years told me that fine hair becomes even more so with age and advised me to stop blonde streaks as it could not stand up to those and body perms as well. I have not gone grey. I have four body perms a year and a short cut. At almost 82, my old pageboy style would not do.! Without the perms the hair would be hopeless. They don't go frizzy, just do what's on the box.

JessK Wed 20-Mar-19 10:55:36

I have the same problem and have stopped washing my hair as frequently as I used to but it is a challenge. I have also added water to the bottle of shampoo I'm using and I find that has helped.

Rosina Wed 20-Mar-19 10:47:20

skate you may have fallen into the same trap that I did; with very fine unmanageable hair I tried thickening shampoos, which seemed to work for a while and then my hair got worse. I then read an article explaining that these shampoos coat the individual hairs, and after a while this makes them fall out, but even worse the product blocks the hair follicle and new hairs don't grow. I decided then to leave my hair in peace for six months; no colouring, no chemicals, absolute minimum of blow drying , and I also took folic acid which helped absorption of iron and is evidently good for hair growth. I didn't look quite as freakish as I feared with this unkempt rapidly growing straggly mop - hardly anyone commented - and then I had a good haircut. Although I am never going to have hair that I can swing around like the shampoo ads, it is very much better and healthier. The hairdresser told me to use a simple shampoo that doesn't promise anything other than to get your hair clean, and then you will avoid residues that don't help fine or thinning hair at all. Hope things improve for you.