Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Does anyone wear a wig for fun?

(34 Posts)
MTDancer Tue 19-Mar-19 19:41:28

I am seriously thinking of getting some wigs for a change.
I have short hair in a pixie style but thought I could have a wig that gave me longer hair.
I would also like a few different colours.
BUT how will they look? I don't want it to look like a wig. My nana had one and we used to call it her 'hat' that was many moons ago though as I turned 60 this year.
Does anyone else wear a wig for fun?

jocork Sat 23-Mar-19 02:57:37

My hair is thinning badly on the top and sides at the front. I've not really considered a wig as I have always overheated easily at the best of times and in hot weather always put my hair up to get the air to my neck and feel cooler. I assume wearing a wig would make my head sweat even more! I'm currently trying various special shampoos in the hope of a miracle as well as taking various supplements.

mamamags Fri 22-Mar-19 11:16:07

Mine are the acrylic ones. They hold their shape better but you may find that they won’t last as long as the human hair ones. You will have to purchase the special shampoo and conditioner s to keep them in tip top condition.
I have to wear one for health reasons and I use the nylon cap that goes on to your own hair as it stops the sliding and the itchyness..
I love the freedom that it gives you. We have just returned from a Caribbean cruise (special occasion) and it made my holiday. It wasn’t affected by the heat at all. I would definitely recommend them,

I wish I had one years ago, it would have saved me a fortune in hairdresser bills?

4allweknow Thu 21-Mar-19 20:58:25

I have no experience of wigs. My daughter however had two wigs whilst being treated for breast cancer last year. Her opinion was that the synthetic one was much easier to manage than the real hair one. I have very thin fine hair and now and again I do think about having a go with a wig.

mamamags Thu 21-Mar-19 16:39:12

I. Have been wearing one for years (not the same one I hasten to add). I love mine and when I had to go in hospital recently everyone were complimenting me on my lovely hair. I even slept in it then but I do normally remove it at night. I always purchase Raquel Walsh ones from Idealworld the shopping channel. They are very good if you have to return it , which I have never had to do yet as they are superb, whereas these cheaper Chinese ones need to be avoided like the plague.

GabriellaG54 Thu 21-Mar-19 15:45:13

* Susanne Miller, Patti @rxstrmom. correct spelling. blush

GabriellaG54 Thu 21-Mar-19 15:36:57

Two people I have seen who often wear wigs are Dominique Sachse and Susan Miller aka Patti Rockstarmom.
Both do YouTube videos of hair clothes and make-up.
Patti is 74 and Dominique is early 50s.

PamelaJ1 Thu 21-Mar-19 14:59:29

I had a couple when I was about 18. One short, dark bob and one that I think of my footballers wig. You could take the bit at the back off. Bit like a mullet!!
I thought they were fab.

Lumarei Thu 21-Mar-19 14:51:55

I have not been brave enough to buy a wig but spent hours on the internet researching as I have very fine and sparse hair. If the problem gets worse (which it will as I get older) I will have to get a wig but would want one that could not be detected.

I have always felt that it was so unfair that our society has fully accepted plastic surgery and all sort of help for nature’s shortcomings but snigger at the sight of spotting a wig. I remember reading an article about a beautiful television presenter who suffered from alopecia and stayed bald as it would be too embarrassing to wear a wig.

Wigs and hairpieces are actively embraced in other cultures though which I think is great. I am sure if Victoria Beckham wore one it would become a fashion accessory over night.

Fennel Thu 21-Mar-19 12:34:17

As Mad grandma says it's better to go to a shop where you can try on different styles, but then you have to pay more.
I know people who have paid a few thousand pounds for a "custom made" real hair wig. Looking gorgeous.
Too much for me.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 21-Mar-19 12:30:34

I've two wigs 'left over' from when I had chemo four years ago. I haven't worn them since but have considered putting them on if I'm having a bad hair day.

ninathenana Thu 21-Mar-19 11:47:57

Helen sorry, I didn't read your post before I typed mine.

Coincidence smile

ninathenana Thu 21-Mar-19 11:44:15

I worked with a lady who's silver coloured pixie cut hair always looked lovely. I complimented her one day and she confessed she always wore a wig. She had two identical ones which she wore in rotation.
I have very fine hair and have considered a wig. I think it would irritate me after a couple if hours though.

MadGrandma Thu 21-Mar-19 11:37:15

I got a wig following chemo. (NHS paid some towards it, I paid balance so I got a good quality one). I wear a "stocking cap" as otherwise it tended to slip about - not a nice look! But I will say that it does make your head rather warm! Probably no bad thing in our winters, but going into shops can cause you to sweat buckets! I'd recommend a shop rather than online purchase as often they will "style" the wig, trim it etc to suit you before you leave.

RosieLeah Thu 21-Mar-19 11:23:01

I have been thinking about it, but I want one which looks real. I'm fed-up with my hair, it keeps growing! I go to the hairdresser and get it cut the way I want it but in no time, it's all long and straggly again. Keeping my head shaved and wearing a wig seems a much better option. (I know I shouldn't say this but my hair is still thick and dark brown, not grey, so I should be proud of it, but it's just a nuisance.)

Magrithea Thu 21-Mar-19 11:18:36

MTDancer if you're going to get one get a good one! Or what about extensions so that you can have long(er) hair for a while?

Helennonotion Thu 21-Mar-19 10:55:28

I worked with a lovely lady who always had gorgeous shiny hair. One day after we had worked together for several years I commented on her hair and asked how she kept it in such good condition. She looked at me amazed and said, "Didn't you know its a wig?" Chemo had left her with thinning hair. I truly didn't ever think it wasn't her real hair!

Craftycat Thu 21-Mar-19 10:28:33

I used to wear a wig for a change in the mid 60's- era that is not age!
It was great fun- I think I had 2 or 3.
A good friend has recently lost all the hair on her body to to a form of alopecia (which is probably not spelt like that but no checker on this site). She wears a wig now looks amazing. However she does find it hot & it was a very expensive one too!

Hazeld Wed 20-Mar-19 13:02:19

I have started to lose my hair at the front and have been thinking of trying a wig. I love the idea that I could go from long to short, brown to blonde or black all in a few minutes. Or even try some of the more modern colours like pink or purple. I'm 66 and certainly wouldn't think twice about using them. Good luck if you go ahead and let us know where you get yours from if you would.

Fennel Wed 20-Mar-19 12:42:34

www.headcovers.com/

Fennel Wed 20-Mar-19 12:25:35

oh dear links to my email account shock
I've asked for deletion.

Fennel Wed 20-Mar-19 12:23:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fennel Wed 20-Mar-19 12:19:18

The advert I showed has 'capless' wigs but they do have a sort of elasticated cap inside. If your hair is cut short you don't need a hairnet.
I should add, as these wigs come from China ((or Russia) you might be charged customs duties.
I've bought other hair coverings from an american company which is aimed at people having chemotherapy. Their prices are higher, and you do have to pay customs duty. I'll look for the link.

MTDancer Wed 20-Mar-19 12:10:50

Thanks, I'm going to try one.
No kittylester and Urmstongran, I am not new, I've been around and contributing for years

paddyann Tue 19-Mar-19 22:46:08

I used to have some when I was younger,my hair has always been quite long but I loved my afro style wig I looked completely different in it .I also had wigs in red and platinum blonde ,simply because I didn't fancy getting my hair bleached .I've had it loads of colours since then and no wigs for a long time.I was just saying to my OH I fancied a new red one after watching Nicola in Emmerdale whose hair is a fab colour.Go for it ,at least go try some on an dsee the effect .

Cherrytree59 Tue 19-Mar-19 22:05:26

Wow Fennel if I was brave enough there are several wigs that I would love to buy.

Complete wig virgin here so would read with interest any wig info such as...
Cap v Non cap wigs?
Hair net required?