Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What do you wish you'd inherited from your mother?

(183 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 26-Mar-19 14:47:22

We were talking about Mother's Day and thinking about the things we really wish we'd inherited from them. For me, it would have to be my mum's singing voice - I can't hold a note, yet she can make a song out of the week's shopping list and sound like she should be on stage. What do you wish you'd inherited from your mum?

Nata Thu 11-Apr-19 07:58:50

Jackie1980, oh my gosh...

I wish I'd inherited slim legs and straight back from my mother.

jogginggirl Mon 08-Apr-19 22:21:53

I would be happy if I have inherited just a little of my mum‘s sense of humour, her compassionate nature, her love for others and her SMILE ?☺️
I miss her so much ?

whywhywhy Mon 08-Apr-19 20:43:44

My mam was a nurse and I wish that I could have been like her but I hate the sight of blood and needles. I did manage to become a medical secretary though. That brought me to the life of hospitals. She lived until she was 99 back in 2009. I love and miss her so much. Her strength was amazing.

Jackie1980 Mon 01-Apr-19 22:15:40

I wouldn't want to inherit anything from my mother. I've never felt good enough for her, criticised, judged, put down. Self-centred person who worships money. I once said to my Dad if I ever get like her shoot me! Don't worry he said, I will!! ???

absent Mon 01-Apr-19 04:03:08

My mother and her sisters were all extremely beautiful and I have to say those genes passed me by. However, I am not so sure that being beautiful is the blessing that it is sometimes thought to be so I am not especially regretful about that. Strange as it sounds I did inherit the skin that ran through the female line – no teenage acne, no spots and silky smooth; even at the age of 68 I still receive unexpected compliments. Thanks, granny and mum. Even in her nineties, my ma still had quite a thick head of curly hair – something absentdaughter has inherited. Mine has always been very fine and thin and I am quite sure that I shall end up as one of those almost bald old ladies who either don't care or wear outrageously coloured turbans. Green eyes – although my mother's were more like emeralds and mine are more like pond weed except when I am very happy or very angry.

paddyann Mon 01-Apr-19 01:55:51

A singing voice,both my parents sang all the time,My mum as she worked around the house,Dad sang at charity events and when we had parties they sang wonderful duets .My sisters all take after them ,they play instruments and sing ...me I was the one who always had my head in a book .I love music to listen to but I'm no singer much as I'd love to be .

pinkprincess Mon 01-Apr-19 00:41:52

My mother had marvellous knitting and sewing skills.I can do both but not to my mother's standards.I am one of four sisters and she made all our dresses including the hand smocked ones.She was also a marvellous cook and could make Yorkshire Pudding to die for.
I inherited her love of reading, we were both very happy with a good book.
I have also got some of her negative traits as well but am not going into them on this thread

Hypnoticlady Sun 31-Mar-19 18:51:53

Her strength in times of adversity and her enduring love and, patience. I would like to think I've inherited a little of those qualities ?

Jabberwok Sun 31-Mar-19 18:18:34

Daisyboots, sending support, very good wishes and flowers

Lizzie257 Sun 31-Mar-19 18:16:04

Some family history, I was adopted at 6 weeks. I never knew my birth mother. I’d really like to know what health issues are in the family, instead of always having to explain that I was adopted. I’d also like to tell her I had a good life, and I don’t blame her at all.

Jabberwok Sun 31-Mar-19 17:42:30

I was devoted to my mother and even after 30 years miss her everyday. I wish I'd inherited her academic prowess especially her ability to speak fluent french, Italian and German. Alas I have no languages ability, or much else really!!

4allweknow Sun 31-Mar-19 17:15:51

Grannylyn. Are you okay? There are many who do not have happy relationships with or memories of a parent but to wish ut upon yourself is indeed sad usually when someone is feeling very low mentally.

4allweknow Sun 31-Mar-19 17:12:00

Her brown eyes, I have my father's blue, and her knitting skills.

Caro6699 Sun 31-Mar-19 15:45:04

My mother wasn’t educated in the accepted sense but boy was she talented!
She could knit the most complicated patterns and made most of our clothes from cut down adult garments, she had a knack of picking out fabulous materials at the local jumble sale.She could paint and do diy ( my father was useless) an had inherit seanse of style in the way she looked and dressed
Sadly I haven’t inherited any of her artistic gifts , though I know she was proud of those I did have ?

Mother Sun 31-Mar-19 15:34:03

My mother's beautiful skin her face had no wrinkles. Why have I got so many !!

M0nica Sun 31-Mar-19 14:42:53

When she died, someone described her presence in a room as like a glass of champagne, she sparkled. She too was (half) Irish. The same was said of my younger sister.

Unfotunately these qualities missed my youngest sister and I. We are more more like are father, who did not have quite this same ability to make friends and enliven gatherings.

Ladyinspain Sun 31-Mar-19 12:27:20

I agree with Monica - everyone loved my mum ! She was a caring lovely woman, albeit very scatty. Once, my dad brought home a set of 3 suitcases, each inside the other, for their upcoming holidays, he gave the case to her, and she said"Oh Johnny, brilliant idea, now we only have to carry the one suitcase"! Well , she was Irish. x Miss you mum

Cambia Sun 31-Mar-19 12:08:42

Her iron clad constitution. She can eat anything, drinks Like a fish never exercises and at 83 does not have an awful lot wrong with her.

yattypung Sun 31-Mar-19 02:36:34

My mums beautiful singing voice (my singing is a joke) and also her gorgeous thick auburn hair. Mine is so thin and lifeless

notanan2 Sat 30-Mar-19 21:32:18

God nothing. I nearly didnt have children myself for fear that I would be like her. Was genuinely surprised when I HAD kids by how easy it is to NOT be an awful mother.

So relieved.

Ginny42 Sat 30-Mar-19 20:43:34

As someone who had lost both parents by the time I was 26, (77 in May) it makes me sad to read of those who had many years with their mothers, yet they weren't happy ones. I'm sorry it turned out that way for you. flowers

Nannyxthree Sat 30-Mar-19 20:19:34

I've inherited a lot but would have liked her superior skills in sewing and knitting.
Perhaps we should have another thread about what we hope not to inherit! In my case I hope I don't become a horder as she did after my dad died. It was hell clearing out her house when she died.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 30-Mar-19 20:11:58

Absolutely nothing, I have always told my family if you ever see me getting like my mum tell me so I can change.

TerriBull Sat 30-Mar-19 18:57:37

Her nature, she was much nicer than me, albeit a bit of a doormat sometimes, I think I'm more assertive, I've got too many of my father's traits..... unfortunately sad

Grannyknot Sat 30-Mar-19 18:14:40

I'm one of the lucky ones, my mother was brilliant. I can still see her in my mind's eye sashaying up the school driveway in her heels and best dress and latest "picture hat" (she was a trained milliner) to take to task a teacher that had been harsh on one of her adored children (in her view).

I can also see her standing at the school fence with a forgotten raincoat, or lunch box, calling me to quickly take it from her as she had to get to work.

She was a champion to the three of us, a single mother in the 1950s. Divorced at 28 with three children under 5, she never remarried. I admire her so much.

I've inherited many positive traits from her (and her hair and good skin). I hope I will one day be as brave as she was at the end of her life, making jokes on her deathbed to lessen our sadness.

flowers