Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Stress Incontinence!

(31 Posts)
Evie64 Sun 14-Apr-19 01:05:10

The bain of my life, and sooooo embarrassing! I also have urine retention so that operation they offer with the "hammock" implanted is apparently not feasible in my case, plus I've heard some very bad reports about it. How does anyone else cope? My days of trampolining with the granddaughter are well and truly over!

Alexa Wed 01-May-19 10:44:54

www.uclh.nhs.uk/PandV/PIL/Patient%20information%20leaflets/Colporrhaphy.pdf

Alexa Wed 01-May-19 10:37:32

I don't understand why vaginal plastic surgery isn't discussed more as an option to deal with stress incontinence. Years ago I was nursing on a gynaecology ward, and these operations were so successful and trouble free in sorting prolapse of the womb which can be the cause of stress incontinence.

GrandmaKT Wed 01-May-19 10:27:15

I had stress incontinence for several years. I attended the incontinence clinic and tried and tried the pelvic floor exercises to no great effect. I eventually had the mesh repair 11 years ago and I am one of the lucky ones as it completely solved the problem with no ill-effects whatsoever. Such a relief!
HOWEVER, I am now developing a prolapsed uterus. Those of you who have recommended the Hab-it DVD, I've looked on Amazon and it is £33, which seems very expensive for a DVD! Is it worth it?

Gonegirl Tue 16-Apr-19 16:35:56

(Not meaning to make light of this)

Gonegirl Tue 16-Apr-19 16:34:58

<<<< faints>>>>

fourormore Tue 16-Apr-19 16:30:58

Be careful with oxybutynin though everyone. I was prescribed it several years ago and as there was little or no effect the dose was increased several times over several months.
Eventually I was referred for a scan which showed I had an atonic bladder (basically an enlarged bladder that wasn't emptying itself properly) - made worse by the oxybutynin apparently!
Nowadays I am prescribed non-permanent catheters and self catheterise 3 or 4 times a day. Honestly it is not as horrendous as it sounds once you get used to it.

Charleygirl5 Tue 16-Apr-19 15:39:46

There are drugs on the market- your GP could prescribe Oxybutynin hydrochloride. It is not a cure-all but it definitely helps.

Anja Tue 16-Apr-19 15:20:51

My problem is crazy I don’t get out enough!

crazyH Tue 16-Apr-19 10:07:30

Anna, What I was trying to say is, to limit the liquid intake when we are out and about, like for instance, on a day trip, to save the embarrassment of a dribble. If we are at home or in a place where the loos are easily accessible, drink as much as you want.....as a matter of fact, drink plenty.

Sparklefizz Tue 16-Apr-19 09:59:51

^ too have the hab-it DVD and think it is excellent. Not been doing it long enough to know what difference it makes but the logic behind it seems mor comprehensive than other similar exercises.^

I wish more women would do the exercises Doodle as they really do work, but as my doctor said, most people would rather not put in the effort.

I had the beginnings of a prolapse both front and back, and now I don't, so I am thrilled obviously! smile

Beckett Tue 16-Apr-19 08:28:18

I didn't have children but still have stress incontinence - perhaps some peoples' muscles just get weaker the older we get and some don't. I use Tena every day - found Always were useless

harrigran Tue 16-Apr-19 07:51:54

Doesn't always follow Granny23, I had big babies with many stitches and do not have stress incontinence. Having worked on Gynae wards I promised myself I would look after my under-carriage and have always done the Kiegel exercises.

Anja Tue 16-Apr-19 07:00:21

I had a forcepts delivery and stitches so no we don’t ‘all have stress incontinence’.

I actually think we need to drink plenty crazyH to prevent UTIs which (so far) I’ve never had either. Then practise ‘holding on’ to use those pelvic floor muscles.

Perhaps I’ve just been lucky or it might be all that running and other exercises I did until recently or the yoga and pilates I still do.

Who knows?

Granny23 Mon 15-Apr-19 23:38:29

After a random comment from the Continence Nurse, I have surveyed all my over 60 female friends. Although it is quite a small sample the results echo what the Nurse said.

Women with no children = no continence problems
Women who had only cesareans = ditto
Women who had 'easy' births without stitches or forceps = none or slight problems
Women who had 1 or more births involving tears, cuts, stitches = incontinence problems to some degree.

crazyH Mon 15-Apr-19 21:38:09

Don't we all have stress incontinence? My tip is to empty your bladder as often as you and don't drink too much of anything, especially when you're out and about.

PernillaVanilla Mon 15-Apr-19 21:35:18

I had this problem, mainly when I was running, doing sit ups and worst of all for me when riding. I had my first appointment with the womens health physio at the end of December and have religiously done the exercises she prescribed every day, much to my surprise I am very much better. Not 100% with the riding yet so she suggested a pessary just for that. It looks a bit fearsome so I have not tried it yet but I'm also carrying on with the exercises in the hope I won't need it for very long. She advised me surgery was very risky and not to even think about it while there were other options.

Anja Mon 15-Apr-19 21:06:05

That’s it harrigran - Kiegel! Thanks ??

GrandmaMoira Mon 15-Apr-19 21:05:22

I'm another one but self-help can improve things. Trampolining is the worst exercise for women. Keep doing pelvic floor exercises. Check Michelle Kenway's website for exercises - she is an Australian physio.
Caffeine, green tea, cranberry juice, orange juice, fizzy drinks all aggravate the bladder so cut down on them. I was advised to at least cut down in the evening.
It is also worth going to the GP in case you have vaginal atrophy. I'm prescribed oestregen and it makes a huge difference.

Doodle Mon 15-Apr-19 20:29:27

sparklefiz I too have the hab-it DVD and think it is excellent. Not been doing it long enough to know what difference it makes but the logic behind it seems mor comprehensive than other similar exercises.

Evie64 Mon 15-Apr-19 00:35:37

Thank you sooooo much for all your replies. It's so nice to know I'm not the only one out there feeling as though your body is "letting you down" and is embarrassing. Thanks again and thank you for Tena Lady or, as Farmour15 called them "piddle pads". Excellent, made me laugh ;-}

Farmor15 Sun 14-Apr-19 22:48:33

I sympathize as I’ve has stress incontinence for years. I’ve been to physiotherapist for pelvic floor exercises, went to hospital clinic for various tests to see if I had retention (I didn’t) and to confirm it was stress incontinence. Nurses in clinic didn’t recommend surgery from their experience. I got one of the electronic machines - Kegel 8 - and used it regularly for a while- thought I was improving but then got a cold and seemed to be back where I was - coughing and sneezing result in significant leakage.

I’ve given up trying to cure for the moment, just rely on ‘piddle pads’ (borrowed nickname from another poster here). Always ones are good, also Aldi. I think it must be a very common problem- lots of products available and even TV ads.

Sparklefizz Sun 14-Apr-19 09:31:37

There is a DVD available on Amazon which was recommended to me by an osteopath to save me having prolapse surgery. The exercises worked within a month. It's called Hab-it Pelvic Floor Exercises, and they work for prolapse and single and double incontinence.

harrigran Sun 14-Apr-19 08:47:30

Kiegel Anja. No need for expensive machines to exercise the pelvic floor, just flex and relax the muscles while you are sitting in front of the computer.

sodapop Sun 14-Apr-19 08:39:00

Evie64 keep well away from the mesh implants, they have caused all sorts of problems.

It is a difficult and embarrassing problem, is there a Continence advisor attached to your GP surgery or at your local hospital, they will be able to help. Good luck.

Anja Sun 14-Apr-19 08:00:28

There are pelvic floor exercises that can help with this. I forget the name but am sure someone will provide it.

Possibly a good idea to do these now before developing stress incintinence.